Polar kraft owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The-Machinist

Petty Officer 1st Class
Any one else out there have a polar kraft boat? Please chime in and make the polar kraft page a worthy addition:)

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Polar kraft owners?

2008 Polarkraft Kodiak 178 FS, 150 HP optimax, just recently upgraded to smartcraft instruments. Fish head graphics package. (Northern Alberta, Canada)

charliedaubitz

Seaman Apprentice

can anyone identify this polar kraft 15' v bottom, it has a 69 Evinrude 40 hp lark on it. ( I need controls )done ( isn't e-bay great.) I am going to have to replace the transum,(done) . I have fire! I finally got the old points clean enough to ground the mag coils, took 2 tries. It even started from the old plugs, this thing has sat for 20 years in a barn!

update: I removed the old transom, it was 1 1/4 thick. I'm going back with 1sheet of 3/4 epoxied and another of 1/2 ss screwed together. I made a templet from cardboard taped to the back of the transom and marked it from the outside of the hull. I removed a additional 3/8" from the cardboard and fitted it inside. I had to cutout for the 4 aluminum runners on the bottom and notch for the drain plug and transfer it to the plywood. I test fit both pieces of wood, It's going to be a tight fit after the epoxy since this boat has a inside aluminum piece.
update 9-12-08: I finished the transom, bought controls off ebay for 59.00 with 12' cable and ignition keys. now to the floor, MDO board like this http://www.reecesupply.com/cas/2006 catalog.pdf
9-27-08
The floor is done, I'm fixing to cover it with outdoor carpet. I put new bearings in the generator, cleaned the points under the cover of the regulator and now it works and the motor runs and idles.

Attachments

• lark 40 magneto.JPG
    lark 40 magneto.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 1
  • transom board.JPG
    transom board.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 1
  • floor.JPG
    floor.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 1
  • polar kraft 15'.JPG
    polar kraft 15'.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 0
  • new boat floor.JPG
    new boat floor.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 0

charliedaubitz

Seaman Apprentice

I took my boat out today. I found a small lake to test it out on close to my house. With the idle mixture 3/4 out it idled perfect, the generator and starter as well as the selectric controls worked flawless. After trying a full throttle run, I discover the main jet was clogged again. Luckly the last tool I thew in the tool bag was the home made jet screwdriver. After the cleaning it ran at full throttle fine. I have zero leaks even after being in a field for 33 years full of water freezing over and over, just WOW. The lower unit didn't have any moisture after the test run either. I'm a happy camper!
Now I'm about to fight the State of Texas to get a title for the boat and motor. ( I wonder if I can also take a picture of my cute grandkids begging for the state to issue a title too), it worked for another here.

rickman1

Recruit

I have a 1998 Eagle, 15'. I am trying to find an owner's manual for it.

jonnyboy

Recruit

hello i have a 1984 polar kraft cub 15ft it is 60 inches across top beam 42 below it came with a 25 mariner with stick steer etc i took the stick steer out i prefer tiller style im using a 1971 evinrude 18hp it pushes it great gets on plane easy with me and one other person but with three it is a very slow process, it has a semi v front other pple call it the ice breaker front, the first 3 feet of the front of the boat is kinda narrow then it will get wide fast it is very stable on water my cruise speed with the 18 is about 18-20 mph according to my gps anyone else ever heard of a 15ft polarkraft cub? 1984 model im up grading to a 25 hp suzuki in the spring

charliedaubitz

Seaman Apprentice

it took 3 tries with the TPWL office to get my numbers and titles but it's finally done. Not a leak or a loose rivit after over 30 years in a field.
1963 Polarkraft

Attachments

• polarkraft done.JPG
    polarkraft done.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 0
  • polarkraft done rear.JPG
    polarkraft done rear.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 0

Namenottaken

Cadet

This is my Polar Kraft. I have not been able to put a model name, or yr on it.. I have searched and searched. Have just about given up hope..:( Funny thing about this is, I used to live across the street from Polar Kraft when it was in Olive Branch,Ms

Attachments

• PolarKraftMOD2.jpg
    PolarKraftMOD2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 0

I just bought a 1989 polar kraft boat for $350. As you can imagine it's in pretty bad shape. Had been sitting out on the trailer and had a foot or so of water and mud in it. Cleaned it up and it doesnt look to bad. I just put a trolling motor on it and went around the lake and .... it didn't sink!! not even a drop of water. I think it will be a pretty nice boat when I get done with it. It' 16 feet and 66 inches across the top of the beam. Has two seats and a live well. I called the company with my number of the back of the boat and he said they bought the company from where it was located in Ms. (they are in Indiana) and got no information on the boats made prior to 2000. He didn't have any info. Wow! sounds strange. I will put a picture on this forem of the boat if I can ever figure out how....

Could use help on how to remove age old water stains on the bottom and sides of the boat. What size cover should I buy for it?

Namenottaken

Cadet

Hi Fisherman,.. I am in the same boat, as to finding out what and where.. Godfrey marine bought Polar Kraft I guess in 1999 or 2000. They seem unwilling to help unless you are buying..
Polar Kraft was in Olive Branch,Ms. The company was started in 1958 by three brothers, and had about a hundred and fifty employees (so I'm told).. I've lived in the area most of my life, and even lived almost across the street from Polar Kraft for a few years.. Most folks in Olive Branch had a relative, or knew someone that worked there.. The building that was Polar Kraft, is now a body shop.. People still call it "the old polar kraft place".. I believe my boat is one of the first runabouts they made. I have not been able to put a yr or a model name on it.. My tag was lost.. I have emailed back and forth with a guy that claims to have one like mine. Says his is a 59, but have not been able to get him to send any pics of it..

Don't know about the water stains.. Think I'd try a scotch bright pad on a 4" grinder/buffer..

Good luck to you..

The-Machinist

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a '75 polar kraft 16 foot jon, commercial boat. It has one small half seat in the back and is open all the way to the deck. Absolutly NO flotation. It was used as a body drag boat by the MO. water patroll (got the grab hook set too). I have pushed it with everything from 2.5 to 85 hp, and would not trade it for anything. Most solid boat I have owned.

hubbytomdaman

Recruit

100_5011_1.jpg100_5013_1.jpg100_5025_1.jpg100_5010_1.jpgBought a PolarKraft Jon Boat a few months ago,got agood deal on it,The title says it's a 1971,but I'm not sure about that,the HID stamped into the transom is #23872,from what I have been reading the 72 indicates it's a 1972,does anyone know about this and how can I figure out the model of this boat?It only has one seat,according to some diagrams I seen of differnt types of Jons that is called a"Flat Open",would also like to see a picture off this boat in it's origanal factory condition,possiblly even a brochure,just dont know where to look.Will post picture if I can figure out how,Thanks

joeygad

Recruit

I have a 2008 polar kraft fs188 with a 150 etec. I seem to take a lot of spray on the windsield and face. I have played with the trim and changed props.I currently have a 19 pitch murcury enertia prop on the boat. this makes it a little better. was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same conditions.

PK178

Recruit

I just purchased 2007 Kodiak 178. Honda 90hp. I love the 92 inch beam on this boat. I've been trolling for trout with a 9.8 kicker

stinkyfish64

Recruit

Hello.. I have a 07 182ff bass boat w/90hp yamaha 4 stroke. Love the boat, but am trying to get a little more top end speed out of it. It has allways porpoised when I try to trim up a little more for speed. It tops out around 40 mph, so I added a jack plate hoping to be able to up prop pitch, but now it porpoises even more. But I've yet to try a different pitch prop, just wondering if anyone has used either trim tabs or hydrofoils with any luck? thanx.

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have recently purchased a 1994 Polar Kraft Bass America with a 25 Yamaha 2 cycle. I've only had it on the water a couple of times and may have a small leak, although I suspect the live well or its plumbing. I once heard that Polar Kraft hulls were guaranteed for life, though I don't know this to be true.

Namenottaken, I think you're right about the current owners of Polar Kraft being non-responsive. I wrote them about my trailer, which I assume was part of the package, and got no response.

I would really like to find a wiring diagram, but the boat has a fairly simple electrical system. The diagram might save me a little time tracing, though.

John

SGT2811

Recruit

She is a beauty! I have one very similar she is a 1958 first production year. mine is a little bit different. I have a cross member behind the second seat. They ride like a dream very smooth and with the 50 merc she really gets up and scoots. Have fun working on her, remember the two best days in a boat owners life, the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Ben Stonecipher

Recruit

Bought a 1997 Polar Kraft Bay 18 ft recently. It is open from front to back. I put marine plywood over the ribs so my boys can move around easy. It is a riveted white aluminum boat with oversized rivets. The person that I bought it from said they primed the boat with zinc chromate (corrosion resistant primer used in aircraft manufacturing, then covered it wit a two part epoxy). He said that it would not stain or scratch. I'll find out once I get in the muddy waters of La. It has a Small 2 stroke mercury, 1987 I think. I am thinking about larger motor (40 4stroke or 60 etec). No idea what the boat is rated for. Any ideas. No response from manufacture.

Namenottaken

Cadet

I am now fairly sure that what I have is a '58' Ski-Princess.. I hope to have her water ready some time this summer..

PIC00003.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.