Please Help!

drivehard

Seaman Apprentice
So...I guess I didn't get all the water exchanged for anti freeze (or not strong enough) for this last brutally cold winter. I have a cracked block.

1995 Bayliner Capri 2050 with a 5.0L V8

My question: Can I just get a new shortblock and switch everything over? Are there any differences between a crate 5.0L shortblock out of an auto parts store, and one for a boat? I plan on re-using the heads, cam, ignition system, fuel system, etc. from my current motor, as its all good. I could even re-use the crank, pistons, con rods, etc. if needed. I just want to get running for as little $$$ as possible. I DON'T want to do one of those block sealing kit things...

Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Please Help!

Sure the short block will work. Especially if you are changing the cam. Do remember to change the core plugs (aka Freeze plugs by many), to brass.

For next year, DRAIN the engine first, and make sure it is drained. Then you can add some antirfreeze to the system. DO NOT try to run a raw water cooled engine to get antifreeze into the engine. It only works for a luck few. But gives this forum lots to talk about in the spring when all the cracked blocks show up.

tampc

Cadet
Re: Please Help!

Last year my OMC 4.3L was crack both Exhaust manifolds and one place on top side of the head about 3' long, I use the J-B weld and it work up to now.
the head I have to clean it good (I did grind it down about 0.030" to 0.050" then apply J-B Weld on to same high with head first then wait for it dry then I put more * two more layer * it finish about 1 1/2" x 4".
With my opinion. The J-B Weld are work very good and If you the crack are not on the piston side then you can fix it with J-B weld.

Good luck

So...I guess I didn't get all the water exchanged for anti freeze (or not strong enough) for this last brutally cold winter. I have a cracked block.

1995 Bayliner Capri 2050 with a 5.0L V8

My question: Can I just get a new shortblock and switch everything over? Are there any differences between a crate 5.0L shortblock out of an auto parts store, and one for a boat? I plan on re-using the heads, cam, ignition system, fuel system, etc. from my current motor, as its all good. I could even re-use the crank, pistons, con rods, etc. if needed. I just want to get running for as little $$$ as possible. I DON'T want to do one of those block sealing kit things...

Thanks!