Please help w/ 1997 StringRay 190/Merc 4.3

Okay, so I am new to this forum and was hoping some of you seasoned experts could help.

I am thinking about buying a 1997 StingRay 190 with a mercruiser 4.3. As far as I know the boat runs like a champ and has been owned by two of my brothers friends since new.

Is there anything I should be worried about when purchasing a StingRay?

Is there any major/common flaws with the 1997 Mercruiser 4.3?

As far as I know the boat just had a tune up with new battery, plugs, coil, and cap.

The bad, boat has been used in saltwater most of its life- and its still on the original intake and exhaust manifolds.

I know its time to replace the exhaust manifolds- and I know these ones are a little gimmicky. Can someone let me know what all I need to get to upgrade with the two piece manifold? I know you need the gasket, and manifold itself- but what else? Are there more pieces like risers or something like that? Would this set work or would I need more than just these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/V6-E...temZ170289892828QQcmdZViewItem#ht_1354wt_1375

The owner said I probably need to replace the intake manifold too- is there any reason I would need to replace it?

Thanks for the help!
Sean

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Please help w/ 1997 StringRay 190/Merc 4.3

Does the engine now have the 2 piece style manifolds and risers, or is it equipped with the single piece manifolds like the picture below. If it now has the single piece, you will need a special kit to convert.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 0

Polar_Bus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, so I am new to this forum and was hoping some of you seasoned experts could help.

I am thinking about buying a 1997 StingRay 190 with a mercruiser 4.3. As far as I know the boat runs like a champ and has been owned by two of my brothers friends since new.

Is there anything I should be worried about when purchasing a StingRay?

Is there any major/common flaws with the 1997 Mercruiser 4.3?

As far as I know the boat just had a tune up with new battery, plugs, coil, and cap.

The bad, boat has been used in saltwater most of its life- and its still on the original intake and exhaust manifolds.

I know its time to replace the exhaust manifolds- and I know these ones are a little gimmicky. Can someone let me know what all I need to get to upgrade with the two piece manifold? I know you need the gasket, and manifold itself- but what else? Are there more pieces like risers or something like that? Would this set work or would I need more than just these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/V6-E...temZ170289892828QQcmdZViewItem#ht_1354wt_1375

The owner said I probably need to replace the intake manifold too- is there any reason I would need to replace it?

Thanks for the help!
Sean

I just purchased a '98 Stingray 220CS this past September. My boat had severall common issues from lack of maintenence. These issues I completely knew of before purchasing my boat as I had a good friend/experienced boat mechanic help me as a second set of eyes. Good thing too, as I would have gotten SCREWED if I went about this alone !!

Common issue #1) cracked rubber shaft bellows. Allowed water to enter and rusted the gimbal bearing. You could hear a metal growl when driving low speed. Big $$$ job (approx $1200) if you have to take it to a dealer.

Common issue #2) My outdrive would not trim up. Broke wire on the trim sensor. Outdrive has to come off to repair this.

issue #3) my trim pump assembly bracket was rusted to the point of breaking apart. $90 to replace, and not too much work if you are mechanically inclined.

I picked up my boat for $6600 and it's mechanically almost 100% with about $800 invested in parts. (and a LOT of labor on my part). However I have learned a tremendous amount of boat knowledge, so I don't care about the intense labor. So my point is BEWARE when buying an older boat..... good luck.
Rich

Thanks for the quick replies and I appreciate the feedback. Bubba, is the link you posted going to work if the boat has a piece unit now? If not what other pieces would I need to get that kit to work on a motor that has the single piece manifold now?

Where is the rubber shaft bellows so I know to check it out as I might not be able to do a water test before buying it.

Anyone know of any reason I would need to replace the intake manifold if its just 12 years old?

Don S

Does the engine have a closed cooling system on it (With heat exchanger and antifreeze in it)? Is so, then you won't have to worry about the intake manifold as it will have antifreeze in it, not salt water.

As for the parts for the exhaust change if you do have the single piece manifolds, have a look at this Mercruiser service bulletin.

http://www.4shared.com/file/78770189/77327138/43_Merc_exhaust_conversion.html

Bondo

Staff member

Intake manifolds can suffer corrosion from salt water just like the exhaust can. An inspection is probably in order.

Ayuh,.... Pull the T-Stat,+ Look....

Great info, thanks fellas. This is a great forum and I look forward to the day when I'm not such a newb and can help some other people.

I bought my first boat a year or two ago. It is a 1964 16' Fabuglas with a 1969 Evinrude 115. Guy said it didn't run. All I did was replace the plugs and put some fresh gas in it and it fired right off! Wouldn't run right on the water though- wouldn't go past a fast idle so I replaced the power pack/pulse pack and that fixed it for a year. Now it is doing the same thing, however I taught myself a trick and sometimes I can throttle quickly past the point where it kills then engine, and then it runs like a champ.

Anyway, this is all new to me for inboard engines, I've never even heard of water cooled exhaust manifolds. I figured I would look on Jegs and Summit, and go ahead and order some headers and call it a day- guess that isn't going to work. Anyway, All this beta is greatly appreciated!

So does this engine have one of those rubber impellers that needs to be replaced every other season like an outboard, or am I good until something fully fails?

Can someone elaborate on the whole intake situation? Like I said, saltwater its whole life. Is the intake cooled by an open loop system like the rest of the engine (I haven't seen the boat in person yet so I am assuming it doesn't have a closed loop system), and once again, I've never heard of a cooled intake system (other than intercooled turbo engines), but even that is far from an H20 cooled intake.

So, and I apologize ahead of time, yet another question... What is the deal with StingRay, do they make a quality boat or not? Is there an achilles tendon to these boats or are they very well built?

Sean

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

do you have any pics of the engine and drive.... If so post them on here and alot of people here will help you with what you have and what you need. ...

Bondo

Staff member

Anyway, this is all new to me for inboard engines, I've never even heard of water cooled exhaust manifolds.
So does this engine have one of those rubber impellers that needs to be replaced every other season like an outboard,
Can someone elaborate on the whole intake situation?

Ayuh,...

All of those Questions can be answered by clicking on the Adults Only sticky at the top of this forum,+ downloading the Manuals that covers this driveline....

What is the deal with StingRay, do they make a quality boat or not? Is there an achilles tendon to these boats or are they very well built?

And,.....
That question would be Best asked in the General Boating Forum,...
As it has Nothng to do with Motors, Nor Drivelines....

I got the boat home and one of the freeze plug has been pushed out. I took off both exhaust manifolds and they are definitely the big bat wing 1 piece deals, highly rusted. I haven't got the intake manifold off yet, but they isn't much need until I get the new one.

So, with the engine serial number 0F865201, can someone please guide me to a decent vendor that can sell me exactly which 2 piece exhaust manifold update and an intake manifold (for the 2 barrel) I need as well?

Also, does anyone know what type of fluid I use for the power steering system on this engine, and what kind of oil I need for the power tilt/trim motor?

Also, I took out the plugs out and sprayed WD40 into the cylinders and cranked it over for several seconds a couple times, was this a good or bad idea?

Oh, and another thing, where the exhaust manifolds hit this big rubber piece (sorry I don't know the name) on the port side there are these flapper japper deals that look like they keep a rogue wave from kicking into the engine, but they are completely missing on the starboard side- normal or it is missing?

Sorry, but one more question. I am a little worried about the block being cracked. So far I dont see any water on the dipstick, but I don't think that necessarily means it isn't cracked. Will a compression test be a definitive way of testing for a cracked block?

Anyway, thanks to all that help. One day I won't be so ignorant to marine engines and can help out like you guys do.

Sean

Bondo

Staff member

Also, does anyone know what type of fluid I use for the power steering system on this engine, and what kind of oil I need for the power tilt/trim motor?

Ayuh,... Any ATF, or light Hyd. oils will work, Just Fine...

Also, I took out the plugs out and sprayed WD40 into the cylinders and cranked it over for several seconds a couple times, was this a good or bad idea?

WD-40 isn't my 1st choice, but it won't hurt a thing...

Oh, and another thing, where the exhaust manifolds hit this big rubber piece (sorry I don't know the name) on the port side there are these flapper japper deals that look like they keep a rogue wave from kicking into the engine, but they are completely missing on the starboard side- normal or it is missing?

There's Supposed to be 1, each side,....
Find the remenants of the Missing 1,+ replace Both...

Will a compression test be a definitive way of testing for a cracked block?

Nope,... Pressurizing the Cooling system will,... Or,.. Just Run it,+ look for Water in the Oil...

Hey Bond-O thanks for the replies, I appreciate you taking your personal time to help me out!

What would you use instead of WD-40?

How much PSI would I need to apply to the cooling system? I assume the easiest way is to just break loose the intake tube and find a way to adapt that to an air compressor and see if it holds overnight? Or you need to be able to tell if even a little gets out?

What are the names of the flap looking things in the Y pipes, or the rubber right above?

No vendors on this site looking at these wanting to sell me the exhaust and intake manifolds?

Many thanks,
Sean

Bondo

Staff member

What would you use instead of WD-40?

Ayuh,... Motor Oil,...

How much PSI would I need to apply to the cooling system? I assume the easiest way is to just break loose the intake tube and find a way to adapt that to an air compressor and see if it holds overnight? Or you need to be able to tell if even a little gets out?

Block off the motor's Block,... By crimping hoses, using plugs, whatever it takes....
Adapt a fitting to allow 10/ 15psi into the blocked off Block,...
And,......

Listen.....

If the Block is in fact Cracked,.... You'll Hear it,.. Follow the Sound...

Find yourself a vendor with a Mercruiser Parts look-up, with pictures....
There, you'll be able to ID the parts,+ find the part #s...

The conversion kits have been discussed here before, but I don't have the particulars,...

Don S

I haven't got the intake manifold off yet, but they isn't much need until I get the new one.
I sure wouldn't be removing that intake manifold until you do the cooling system pressure check to see if you have a cracked block. You will have to put in a new core pluge (aka Freeze Plugs) before doing the test. You can even use those temporary rubber expansion plugs for the testing, but not for constant use.
I've worked on boats for a lot of years, and the intake manifolds don't go bad in 10 or 12 years, even in salt water. So don't go buying one for a while, same with the manifolds and the kit for changing over to the 2 peice style. That is a Mercruiser kit, that I can get you part numbers for. But until you find out if the engine block is good, I wouldn't put any money into anything yet.

If you could post the SN of your engine, it would help. The SN you did post (0F865201) is for the sterndrive, not the engine.
Look for a tag on the engine just above the starter, or on the plastic cover over the carb.

So I guess to do a pressure test I'm going to need to get new exhaust manifolds on, or some up with a way to block each of those passages coming out of the block huh?

I'll get the engines serial number posted up here tomorrow, right now I have the boat in our warehouse staying thawed out.

Does anyone know of a good place to find remanned engines at the best possible price? If not, can someone tell me what I should expect to pay for a remanned 4.3? I guess for it to be marine it needs to balanced shaft, roller cam, brass plugs and what else?

Thanks again, for all the help

Don S

So I guess to do a pressure test I'm going to need to get new exhaust manifolds on

Nope, just block off the hoses going to them.

I guess for it to be marine it needs to balanced shaft, roller cam, brass plugs and what else?

The balance shaft makes it nice, allong with roller cam, because that is what is in there now, but they are not required. The 4.3L engines were used for years without them.

Before you go looking for engines, and manifolds, for gawds sake pressure check the block. You may need nothing more than manifolds and risers. But find out for sure instead of throwing money at it for no reason.

Even if the block was cracked, all you would need is a new block and transfere all your internal parts over to it. (Easier said than done, but cheaper)

Good info Don, thanks for your time/effort.

I'm going to be able to pressure test the block today. You said you have years of experience with these things, would I be able to send you an email with some pix of the manifolds that have been removed so you can give me you 2cents on whether or not I need to drop 600$+ on new manifolds? Of course I wont waste your time with that if the block is cracked.

Sean

Bondo

Staff member

would I be able to send you an email with some pix of the manifolds that have been removed so you can give me you 2cents on whether or not I need to drop 600$+ on new manifolds?

Ayuh,...

Post 'em Here,+ you'll get about $10.Bucks worth from the Whole Board......;)