Please help w/ 1997 StringRay 190/Merc 4.3

Re: Please help w/ 1997 StringRay 190/Merc 4.3

:) Gentlemen, it looks like the block isn't cracked. Blocked off the hoses that were feeding the exhaust manifold and broke loose the intake water hose and pressurized it there. I know someone said only 15 PSI, and that was the plan, but the person I was with put 45 PSI in and I couldn't hear any leaks. After about 1 minute I let go and there must have been most every bit of 45PSI still in it.

Question, can I start the engine with the outdrive in a large tub of water and the exhaust manifolds back on the boat, but the h20 tubes going to the manifolds just spitting the water out of the boat? I'll of course have the engine cover off. If I do it this way should I just not hook the manifold into the rubber boot that connects it to the Ypipe, or with the cover off it wont be enough to melt them?

One more question, is the Alpha 1 drive unit from a 1997 4 quart capacity?

Thanks again
Sean

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

Alpha 1s,+ the GenIIs hold Just over a Quart...

Using Muffs is Much Better,+ Safer than trying to find a Tub big enough to submerge the drive...

Why wouldn't you Completely hook up the manifolds, rather than running them Dry,..??
That makes little to No Sense...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You was lucky the hoses didn't blow out or even the head gasket around the water ports. Air is dangerous like that. With that much air, you could have a small leak and no notice it. I usually like to pump them up by hand to about 15 psi then just let it set and make sure it doesn't loose pressure.

The Alpha drives only hold about 38 ounces, not 4 quarts. That's a Bravo.

Hook the hoses up to the risers and run them homally. When you are done running it, drain the manifolds then start the engine for about 5 to 10 seconds. That will blow any water out that may start collecting.

I was thinking about not hooking up the water to the exhaust manifold because 1. I dont have new gaskets for the manifold, but I guess that would just mean a small exhaust leak and wouldn't hurt anything huh? More importantly #2. I don't know for sure if the manifolds are still good and I dont want to put any H20 in the cylinders via the exhaust valve/port.

Anways, I guess if we did hurt anything with all that air I'll just be looking for water in the oil now huh?

One last question. Does it really matter what oil/filter I use on this thing?
I bought mobile 1 full synthetic and a good mobile 1 filter, will this be okay or not a good idea.

Sorry for being so ignorant- and thanks for helping to correct that! :)

Sean

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't know for sure if the manifolds are still good and I dont want to put any H20 in the cylinders via the exhaust valve/port.

That is why I say to drain the manifolds after running. Unless it's real bad, the water will be blow out of the exhaust while the engine is running., Water won't go back into the cylinder. Even if you did get a little in the cylinders, running for 5 to 10 seconds will get rid of it, and not damage the impeller, or overheat the engine with no water.

So we got her started. The engine ran very smooth and I didn't hear any odd noises either. Ran for ~ 3-5 minutes with the muffs on, then checked the oil and I didn't see any H20 on the dipstick. Do you guys think the block is definitely good in leu of this?

I'm traveling for work at the moment, but when I get back I'm definitely going to order some new 2 piece exhaust manifolds (if anyone can get me the right PN or post a link that has all that I'll need I'd greatly appreciate it) and change the oil. Should I use marine oil or just a good synthetic w/a good filter?

Also, to get all the milky old trim oil out is it okay to just break the lines loose down at the rams (I think thats what they are called) and let it all drain out? If so are the alpha one systems self bleeding?

Thanks
Sean