Please help this newbie right here!

ceenik

Recruit
Hello experienced boaters!

I am a boating newbie and I was hoping some of you guys can chime in with some advice for me...

I found a fairly cheap 1998 Trophy 1703 on craigslist & I was wondering what kind of things I should look for when purchasing a used boat. Boat comes with a bimini top, continental trailer & 1998 90 HP Evinrude outboard.

I am pretty sure the boat stringers are made out of wood.
a) Any way of telling if there is rot under there?
b) What is an effective way of finding out if there are any soft spots?

When I take the engine cover off anything in particular you guys would look for?

I've done my fair share of research on the web but I was just wondering if anyone here could provide some additional advice. I thank you guys in advance!

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Please help this newbie right here!

It takes years of boat repair experience to identify trouble in all the spots it can happen.

The boat should look well cared for. The more experienced the owner, the better the boat will show.

I recommend having a shop inspect the motor. They should do a compression test, check the operation of the shifting etc. If alcohol fuel was run through the older Evinrude engines, the fuel lines, fuel pumps and rubber components in the carb can go bad. Replacing an engine will cost you.

I walk up and down the hull feeling for soft spots. Lift and push down on the motor. DOes the transom flex? Are there cracks around the engine mount? Crawl under the boat. I was shocked to find a crudely patch hole in one boat I was looking at. I take the plastic end of a screw driver and tap the transom, especially around fixtures. Does it sound hollow in certain places. The fixtures may have leaked. The entire transom and stringers should tap out with a crisp snap each time you tap.

I inspect the wiring. Does the horn, lights, instruments all work? Replacing a wiring loomb can cost you.

Trailers can be a real problem. Painted steel used in salt usually fail pretty quickly.

Most importantly, make sure the boat is pleasing to you and can do what You want it to. Personally, i would hold out for the 1802 or 2002. Those were the popular Trophys.

Next, Read the Chapmans book from front to back. Get into the Coast Guard Aux or Power Squadron boating classes.

Quit daydreaming when looking over the boat. Be ready to leave the boat behind if it's not perfect. It hard enough keeping a clean boat maintained, let alone one that has serious problems. I guarantee a better boat will come up for sale next week.

Chapmans.jpg

I scrounged a fresh water 2352 very very little money.

Trophy.JPG