Please help me figure this out!

Baldo69

Cadet
I found it!! Its a 1973 Fiberform Beachcomb 18 1/2. Thanks every one for your help and you were right every one and their mother must have been making tri hull boats in this time period it may be just me but I haven't ever heard of this brand

And I will check it out smokeonthewater and catch myself up to speed I was just on my hands and knees in the boat searching for this plate and didn't feel any soft spots but I doubt that's what your talking about lol

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
That's exactly what I'm talking about... The really crappy part is that the rot goes on for years before ever making it to the point of soft spot so by the time people find a soft spot the 'patient' is all but lost.

southkogs

Staff member
I found it!! Its a 1973 Fiberform Beachcomb 18 1/2.
Cool! I've heard of Fibreform. There's a little bit about your boat HERE. Indeed everyone was making tri-hulls, but honestly several of those companies were making pretty nice boats. Nothing fancy, but they were pretty well built and easy to work on.

The 165HP inline 6 is a great engine. Like as has already been said, taken care of it's a good engine. What's also nice about it is that it's relatively straightforward to tear apart and fix. I've got a different drive than you, but essentially the same engine. I'm not very good with mechanical stuff and I can work on mine just fine.

One thing you can keep your eye open for - in any way, shape or form - is water sitting inside the boat. In the bilge, on the deck, in the hull. If you can tilt the trailer nose way up, and get water dripping out the back that's a cause for concern (unless you've just been out on the lake).