Please help me figure this out!

Baldo69

Cadet
Hey, I am new to the site and boating well at least with bigger boats I have had small fishing boats but nothing of this scale.

I have a passion for restoring old stuff and have done a few camp trailers and stuff like that but have just been waiting for the right boat project for me to take on and have finally found it! now here is my problem

I bought this boat at a screaming deal at $200.00 for the boat and trailer. I want to bring it back to its original state I just don't know what brand, year or really anything about it. What I do know is it is a Tri Hull and has a inboard/outboard and has the Mercruiser 165 6 cylinder in it. pretty much everything electrical is working so far I haven't gotten to crazy with the engine yet as I am waiting on a buddy who is a boat mechanic to help me when I am ready for that part of the project please any help would be very much appreciated and I thank you in advance for and comments that can help me!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1431361091574.jpg
    FB_IMG_1431361091574.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1431544629407.jpg
    FB_IMG_1431544629407.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Baldo:

Didja' get any paper work with the boat to suggest what model or make it is? The era that tri-hulls were built were one of those eras where EVERYBODY made boats. There might be a Hull Identification Number stamped into the transom (usually just below the rub rail outside of the hull), but if the boat was made in the early 70's there may not be one there.

There might also be a capacity plate on it somewhere near the helm with a serial number, manufacturer or HIN on it.

alldodge

Staff member
Hey, I am new to the site and boating well at least with bigger boats I have had small fishing boats but nothing of this scale.

I have a passion for restoring old stuff and have done a few camp trailers and stuff like that but have just been waiting for the right boat project for me to take on and have finally found it! now here is my problem

I bought this boat at a screaming deal at $200.00 for the boat and trailer. I want to bring it back to its original state I just don't know what brand, year or really anything about it. What I do know is it is a Tri Hull and has a inboard/outboard and has the Mercruiser 165 6 cylinder in it. pretty much everything electrical is working so far I haven't gotten to crazy with the engine yet as I am waiting on a buddy who is a boat mechanic to help me when I am ready for that part of the project please any help would be very much appreciated and I thank you in advance for and comments that can help me!

fetch

Looks like a 1966 Signa I use to have, but many boats all look alike. As Southkogs mentioned look for hull numbers.

:sorry forgot :welcome: to iboats

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer
Go to fiberglassics.com http://www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/categories and post the pic. Someone there will recognize it. They also have a library of old brochures going back to the 50's

I have a merc 165 in my 72 Sea Ray. Take a look at http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/SeaRay190-3.html and it will give you some insights on the issues with these engines. They are based on the GM 250 which was (and still is) pretty common. Parts are easily available. iboats is a good source and I have used them and several other online sources to find parts. I would suggest spending a few bucks and replace the distributor with an electronic one. I got one from Summit Racing. It makes a huge difference. Plus that these came with a variety of carbs. Mine is a Rochester 2GV and even though I had it rebuilt it still has problems. I am planning on replacing it with a Holley. The manual for these engines and the sterndrive is online in pdf at http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/ma...uiser1.html#/0

By the way, tri-hulls were hugely popular in the late 60's and early 70's which also correlates with the 165. Find the serial number on the engine/sterndrive package. Mine is on the flame arrestor and on the engine, as well as on the sterndrive. They should match if nothing has been replaced. Then you can look up the serial number for the engine on various websites (iboats included) and find out when the package was made. That should help you date the boat.

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain
Get the paperwork straight first. Without a registration you can not put it in the water.
In AZ you are going to need ...
... a bill of sale.
It must include: your name and the seller's; the vessel's length; hull ID number; the boat's manufacturer; the purchase price; amount of sales tax paid.
Your Bill of Sale will have all the answers to your original questions. Brand? Year? Model?

Baldo69

Cadet
Thank you every one for your help I really appreciate it! I am happy to have finally I found a forum that still has a heart beat

Southkogs: I did get a bill of sale but when I contacted the Arizona Game and Fish they told be that on the bill of sale I Just needed all of the sellers info and the AZ registration number and they can work off of that and during inspection they will help me find the serial number so I didn't get the year make and model yet. Which they have done for me before on some of my smaller bass boats and have never had a problem registering a boat and they give me all the info I just don't want to go through the trouble until I have her water ready which I have planned with my finances to have it in the water next month.
That will include all of the motor work paint new carpet and seats where I found a killer deal on IBoats
thank you for commenting SouthKogs!

ALLDODGE: Thank you for your help I am only just touching the surface of older boats and I thought it was about 15 years newer lol! which is better for me in my eyes the older the better when on the lake I love seeing restored old boats out there which is why I am so passionate about getting this in the water by next month fully restored.
Thank you for your comment ALLDODGE!

Peter Eikenberry: I definitely need all the help I can when it comes to the engine I would really like to make this engine as reliable as possible and as up to date as possible. a question I have is when running correctly is it a pretty reliable engine and is it a fairly powerful? and are they very hard to work on? I appreciate the insight of things to address and will surly replace the items you listed.
thanks so much Peter Eikenberry!

Uncle Willie: I have worked with my local AZ game and fish office quite a few times getting other boats water ready and they told me when I called before purchasing the boat to get all of his info and the AZ registration number and we can work from there and when buying the boat the Seller and I became pretty friendly and talked for a few hours about many topics and said if I needed anything he would meet me at the game and fish office so we could figure out getting everything moved into my name. I wanted to restore the boat and have it lake worthy before wasting a time and money on the reg. although it would be a very good idea to just get it done and then I would have all the info I am asking about now I just also wanted to find some people with passion of boats (particularly older boats) for some fun conversation and Insight
thank you Uncle Willie for your comment and concern of having my paper work in order it is always smart to do so!

thank you every one for your help and look forward to being a part of such an awesome boat community

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Fully restored by next month..... Not unless you have a team of experienced boat builders and deep pockets.

Functional.... Maybe if you got really lucky on the condition of the engine, stringers, and transom.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
The mercruiser 165 inline 6 is a chevy 250 as found in several 70's Chevy cars.
Yes they make decent power (165 hp) and are generally good engines.

That said like any engine, when left neglected they can suffer and if exposed to freezing temps with water still in em they crack and become scrap iron.

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer
The 165 is fairly easy to work on. All the electrics and cooling system is right out there with easy access. The only thing difficult to get at (at least on my boat) was where the exhaust hose from the riser joins the exhaust going down into the sterndrive. It was difficult to get to. Yeah it is reliable. Since I changed to electronic it starts on the first crank and runs smooth. The only exception is the Rochester carb stumbles at about 1000 rpm, and as I said I plan to replace it. Above or below that it runs fine, runs up to WOT at about 3900-4000 rpm which on my boat translates to just under 40 mph. It has a lot of low end torque, This thing jumps on to a plane and my boat weighs 2000 pounds so that is good power. These engines were put into a lot of pickup trucks and I have heard lots of stories from old timers like myself about stump pulling.

Definitely check out the cooling system. Mine was clogged with rust. It had even gotten into the exhaust in the sterndrive. I replaced the entire cooling. Mine has raw water but some of these were made with heat exchangers for use in salt water. Do not use the automotive water pump. It fits, it works and it rusts like mad. Get the marine one because it has a stainless impeller. I also put a new exhaust manifold on it because the old one was rusted up. I have a contact for the manifold. It was the only part I had difficulty finding. It is a Barr manifold and it wasn't cheap.

I had a local repair shop do a leak down test because I was getting water in the oil and found a leaky gasket. That cured that.

I put a new mallory coil on it that I got from summit racing, but I had a lot of problems with it. They claimed it was the right one, but when I went back to the original all the problems went away. However Summit gave me a full refund.

Baldo69

Cadet
Hey smoke on the water, thanks for your comments.

Money is not an issue and I am very great full for that I even have the consent of the wife who is really the boss but she is the one who found the boat and had me go look at it so she'd better be on board lol. Fortunately we both work very good jobs and manage our money well. I will be realistic and say that's a tight goal but not completely unobtainable maybe by the end July :joyous: I'm just excited about it that's all. To be honest though I really do think we did get lucky with this boat everything is there, is complete, and works so far even down to the horn and lights. Trim raises and falls with no issues. I could run into some issues with the engine but it turns haven't really tried firing it up yet because I want it looked at first. From what my mechanic says where I actually just left he said It is more so an issue of fine tuning and updating a few components here and there such as things Peter said which my mechanic agrees. Now making it look like it did on day one may be a little harder the interior is the an issue seats and everything are there they just need to be re-upholstered along with putting new carpet in but the flooring is solid though but we will see when I pull the carpet next week but I am very hopeful and ambitious for this project. Thanks for your advice on the engine I though of doing a swap to a bigger motor but with your comments along with a few others and some research and also the desire to keep it original I am now all about keeping it in there if it comes to being rebuilt which it may but with it almost starting just in testing before the buy I don't think so but ya never know. . . thanks again

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I hear myself in your reply about when the boat will be ready. I too was thinking that my little 14' tri-hull would be running in two months flat. That was two plus years ago now. Excitement is great, but real life sneaks in there and throws roadblocks some times. Certainly not trying to discourage you by any means. Just stating my situation. I'd love for you to be back on the water with a completely refurbished boat and will be watching this thread to assist you if I can... :thumb:

Baldo69

Cadet
Peter, thanks for the advice I will have my mechanic check on the items you have listed and see where I'm at and may need your help with the manifold if it comes to that I'd have to say I think its so awesome to be a part of this forum you all are so helpful and actually try and help thanks :clap2:

Baldo69

Cadet
also Peter where would be the best place for me to post the pictures on fiber classics

Baldo69

Cadet
thanks gm280 I will be updating my restoration with pictures along the way and hear you on life getting in the way I hope nothing does get in the way. I hope you can get your boat going soon! thanks for the support!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I think maybe we have a different definition of 'totally restored' I see that involving hundreds of hours of grinding and glassing.... You see that being a wax job and new interior along w possible engine work.

If the floor, stringers and transom are solid you are indeed very lucky and may be on the water in no time.

I swapped that exact engine into a 5500 lb 26' Carver w a flying bridge.... It was no speed demon but with the right prop it would plane almost instantly and run low 20's wot.... The engine came out of a 19' tri hull which ran low 40's with it.

Baldo69

Cadet
fortunately for me I don't think there isn't any glass work that I would say needs to be done there isn't a chip or mark on the hull but I could be wrong it may, the picture may be making it look worse than it is don't know? I understand that it will need work I'm not understating that by any means and I am not going to wax it up and leave it as that I am going to be repainting the entire boat I am willing to sink some major cash into it I have the means.

BTW I'm not trying to argue with you I have no ill feelings towards this convo. what so ever just fun interaction and its good that your bringing be back down to earth and being more of a realist but I'm letting you know I don't want you to think I am arguing its nothing like that.

That being said I need to measure it to know the exact length but I know its bigger than my 08 avalanche which is 18' long and its quite a bit longer so I'm wondering how much it weighs now for that engine I am not really going to being the fastest boat on the water but would still like to have some fun with it and maybe pull a wakeboard or tube behind it and I in good standing would you say?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
it will have no problem pulling tubes and wake boards....

My concerns have nothing to do with the appearance... from my years and years of old boats I can count on on hand how many 20 plus year old boats with ratty seats had solid bones and wouldn't need all the fingers.....

I have nothing special about your boat to go on other than it's age.... You may well not have a boat needing a gut job and I am very hopeful for you but 95% of them start with "a small soft spot in the floor" and since they rot from the bottom up, further probing finds out that it will take far more to rebuild it than the owner could ever imagine....

do a search in the restoration area for "soft spot".....

I didn't think for a second that we were arguing...... I'm worried that you may find that it's way worse than you think and hopeful that you won't.

Baldo69

Cadet
Ahhh! I see what your saying now I'm sorry I wasn't understanding about internal things under what the eye can see I totally fallow you now. Now that I understand that it makes me nervous that there are more internal problems that I wouldn't have otherwise though of so what should I be looking for while tearing into it that would be a potential problem and what would cause the problems your are talking about?

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer
also Peter where would be the best place for me to post the pictures on fiber classics
They have a forum on fiberglassics similar to this one. You have to join to post but it's free. To post pics it's easier if they are stored online on a place like flicker or photobucket.