Play in my Telflex Steering

captainchaos

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I have a 95 Sylvan 21ft deck boat with 4.3 Mercruiser. My steering has almost 20° of play each way before actually moving outdrive. It is hydraulic assisted. What can I do, if anything, to take up this play? The boat is miserable at slow speeds, having to constantly correct and over correct directions.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Hi, I have a 95 Sylvan 21ft deck boat with 4.3 Mercruiser. My steering has almost 20° of play each way before actually moving outdrive. It is hydraulic assisted. What can I do, if anything, to take up this play? The boat is miserable at slow speeds, having to constantly correct and over correct directions.
Play in hydraulic steering is air and or low fluid
You need to find the source of the air (typically bad orings) and bleed the system

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... You can look at all the steerin' connections to see if you can find any play,.....

My guess is, yer just seein' typical v-hull wander at low speeds,....
Less operator input usually helps,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
lets confirm. standard steering cable back to a hydraulic actuator, correct?

not hydraulic helm like dingbat is assuming. correct?

rack or rotary helm?
is the slop actually there, or is the issue low-speed bow wander (all single engine v-hull boats wander at low speeds) if its low-speed bow wander, dont try to over-correct, just let the dang thing wander back and forth. it will correct itself

if the slop is mechanical, go back to the transom with a flashlight and look while someone slowly moves the steering back and forth, is the slop at the cable to linkage connection, or is the slop in the tiller arm on the drive?

you will notice that the tube in the actuator moves in and out about 3/16" this is normal. that is the actuation valve for the power steering. look where the end of the cable is attached, and look at the tiller arm to the drive

captainchaos

Seaman Apprentice
It is cable to hydraulic actuator. Not sure if rack or rotory. Helm has sinle cable in and has a flexable plastic rod on other hole. It almost looks like it could have a second cable. The intial play is in the helm

Scott Danforth

Staff member
It is cable to hydraulic actuator. Not sure if rack or rotory. Helm has sinle cable in and has a flexable plastic rod on other hole. It almost looks like it could have a second cable. The intial play is in the helm
that is a rotary helm then (round-ish with the cable sleeve out the other side of the helm). a rack helm is a square metal tube about 18" long with the cable coming out one end and the helm in the middle

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Now that you know what is under the helm. go to the back of the boat with a helper and look to see if you have actual slop, or if its just low-speed bow wander

captainchaos

Seaman Apprentice
Yes, the slop is in helm. Steering wheel moves almost 20° each way without moving drive

Bondo

Staff member
Yes, the slop is in helm. Steering wheel moves almost 20° each way without moving drive
Ayuh,.... From where are you observing the drive movin', or not,..??

At the transom, ya gotta check the slop in each piece/ connection, as it all adds up, but at any one point it may, or may not be too sloppy,....

It's "Best", to have a helper at the helm, 'n another at the drive, while you crawl into the transom/ motorbox to observe,...
One helper "Holds", 'n the other gently "Shakes",..... You "Look",....

I, like Scott, am thinkin' it's just plain ole v-hull wander,......
All new boaters go through it,..... throw in wind, 'n current, it gets Really fun,.... ;)

captainchaos

Seaman Apprentice
I understand the wander, but I dont like the play in the steering wheel. I it was like a car, i would just tighten up the sector. I had a Lund 17ft 3.0 Mercruiser that had no play like this one

Mr charlie

Recruit
You are correct I have the same issue with mine I went to searay and the parts tech mentioned I may be lucky the cable hasn’t snapped the cable and helm come as a kit 200.00 not really to bad

Mr charlie

Recruit
Does anyone know if I need to pull my engine to get the new shift cable to come into theme boat old one came out in pieces

Bondo

Staff member
Does anyone know if I need to pull my engine to get the new shift cable to come into theme boat old one came out in pieces
Ayuh,.... New question,..... Start a new thread of yer own, in the forum for yer drive,....