Plastic under gas tank

tomlucas

Recruit
1985 Bayliner Capri 1950 5.0 V8
OMC Sterndrive 5Litre

While cleaning the bilge I noticed a plastic under the aluminum gas tank, like a thick plastic bag tucked in between the hull and the gas tank, it is kind of loose and clogging the water pass from the bow. Does anyone know what it is and if I can get rid of it?

Thanks
Tom

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Its just pushed in there?
Probably shoved it in there to keep it from blowing out of the boat.
Found in the lake? Litter.

Can't imagine any reason to keep it there.

tomlucas

Recruit
Feels more like the gas tank was installed on top of it some kind of insulation maybe? but it's loose and since water from the bow comes trough it it's gotten pretty nasty

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
My guess it's left over from them making the boat because the line worker was too lazy to dispose of it. Have found coke cans, bags, etc when uncapping boats

airshot

Rear Admiral
The tank may have been wrapped in plastic when installed, the worker was to lazy to toss it. Alread had the tank attached so just left it......my 2 cents anyway..

tomlucas

Recruit
Sounds like I have 2 people agreeing about that, I tried to pull it out but it is tucked in real good. I just taped the loose end with gorilla tape to the tank to allow water to flow through it into the bilge. Thanks Guys!

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
Here is the kinda bad news. If the bag is wet its holding water against the aluminum tank. That will cause pitting and eventually start leaking gas