Plastic rivets holding in side panel cupholder remove/replace to give access to grab handles?

lazywater

Cadet
The grab handles on my 2017 Stingray 198ls pulled loose. I have shimmed the holes with zip-ties and tightened them up, but it's a poor long-term solution. The issue is that they used stainless wood screws from the factory. I'd like to through bolt them with a nut and a washer. Access from behind is a PITA. I thought I would remove the sidewall cupholders to try to get a wrench behind the handles. Access in the bow is even worse as I will need to go through the speaker holes with monkey arms. Is there a recommended procedure for removing the clear/white fasteners that are holding in the cup holder? I tried prying on them with a panel clip removal tool and they aren't coming up like an ordinary car clip. Is it best to just drill these out? Are replacements available or do I go with white automotive tree style clips? Hopefully they didn't also glue this in with 5200.

20230602_165907.jpg

Attachments

• 20230602_165920.jpg
    20230602_165920.jpg
    932.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230602_165758.jpg
    20230602_165758.jpg
    894.4 KB · Views: 2

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Boats are assembled with the lowest cost fasteners. I would potentially use a riv-nut if the glass is thick enough

lazywater

Cadet
Thanks for the reply Scott. I have used rivnuts into aluminum but never fiberglass. I didn't use any special tools, only a couple of wrenches to mushroom them out. I worry that the stainless or galvanized rivnuts will cause it to stress crack from pressure. Maybe the pre-bulbed slotted style that form a cross (aka plusnut) might be OK? I only see that style available in gold zinc over mild steel. Would prefer something like ss or bronze. It's thinner fiberglass (entry level stingray inner shell).

lazywater

Cadet
Thanks for the reply Scott. I have used rivnuts into aluminum but never fiberglass. I didn't use any special tools, only a couple of wrenches to mushroom them out. I worry that the stainless or galvanized rivnuts will cause it to stress crack from pressure. Maybe the pre-bulbed slotted style that form a cross (aka plusnut) might be OK? I only see that style available in gold zinc over mild steel. Would prefer something like ss or bronze. It's thinner fiberglass (entry level stingray inner shell).
I found M6 "jack nuts" in stainless on Ebay and a hand install tool. I think this style might be less likely to damage the fiberglass from too much expansion pressure.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
The grab handles on my 2017 Stingray 198ls pulled loose. I have shimmed the holes with zip-ties and tightened them up, but it's a poor long-term solution. The issue is that they used stainless wood screws from the factory. I'd like to through bolt them with a nut and a washer. Access from behind is a PITA. I thought I would remove the sidewall cupholders to try to get a wrench behind the handles. Access in the bow is even worse as I will need to go through the speaker holes with monkey arms. Is there a recommended procedure for removing the clear/white fasteners that are holding in the cup holder? I tried prying on them with a panel clip removal tool and they aren't coming up like an ordinary car clip. Is it best to just drill these out? Are replacements available or do I go with white automotive tree style clips? Hopefully they didn't also glue this in with 5200.

View attachment 380588
Really.................give me a break.

lazywater

Cadet
If a mod is reading this, go ahead and delete or move this thread. This would be better in a boat interior section and not hull repair.

lazywater

Cadet
If a mod is reading this, go ahead and delete or move this thread. This would be better in a boat interior section and not hull repair.
Answered my own question. These are arrow style non-removable panel rivets/clips. Unlike the tree style or push pin plastic clips found on auto interiors, these apparently aren't designed to be removed. Prying them out with a panel removal tool requires enough force that a thin panel can be damaged. Removal options are to cut off the head and push the fastener into the panel or drill it out with a brad point drill bit dead center just large enough to separate the head.