Planning stringers/floor/engine mounts/transom....

F14CRAZY

Ensign
Re: Planning stringers/floor/engine mounts/transom....

What I did was lay my bare deck plywood over the complete stringers and measured out every 6'' where my screws would go in. I used a chalk string to line the screw holes up with the stringers. I predrilled the screw holes through the deck and into the stringers and countersunk the holes in the deck a little bit with a larger drill bit. Then pulled the plywood back out , drilled the holes in the stringers a bit bigger, filled them with epoxy and let it dry, laid the deck back down, predrilled the epoxy filled holes again, pulled the deck back up, laid epoxy on top of the stringers in a mayo or peanut butter consistency, laid the deck down, put the screws in for the last time, and put thickened epoxy over the heads. Wet out the plywood and lay glass.

I'm pretty confident my stringers won't be getting wet due to water soaking through the screw holes lol

greenz

Seaman Apprentice

hey guys, its starting to look like selling this boat and my fishing boat and just buying a newer used one is going to be in order. I just do not have this amount of time to start and finish this project. My question to you is, how much is this imperial worth? KBB says 3500 if it was perfect, but i know it isn't and i don't want to screw anyone. Anyone have any thoughts? I've learned a ton just in pre planning this project. But i'm not the type to start a project and leave it sit for a few years. Thanks guys..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If the motor Runs and the outdrive is in good shape, Interior is decent, Trailer is good, I's say $1,500 or so. Just depends if you find someone interested in a project boat. They will be spending $1,500 - $3,000 to restore her so they will want to figure that in. That's my opinion.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It's a rotted fiberglass boat with the undesirable 470 in it. You aren't going to get much.

greenz

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks WOG, thats kinda along the lines i was thinking. I was thinking closer to 1200-1000 though. She really was a great riding/running boat, the only thing the interior needs besides the structure is 2 seats need a new board under the foam.

Ezmobee. Whats the 470?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Ezmobee. Whats the 470?

Your motor. There's a couple different variations with different HP but they're all 3.7L 4 cylinders. It was a problematic design and has some NLA parts. Not a terrible motor but not particularly recommended.

Not everyone is in the know on that one though so you may still be able to get your $1k+ since it runs well.

greenz

Seaman Apprentice

hm, yea i didn't know it was called anything other than a 190mr, I did however know it is hard to find anything about it anywhere. The only problems we ever had with it is its next to impossible to use only 4 plugs on a plug changeout b/c you usually break two, and since i upgraded the ignition to electronic, it's been next to trouble free the last few years. Thanks for the info!

greenz

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys for all the helps and tips, i managed to learn alot while contemplating doing this project. But the boat we've owned since i was 10 years old took its final ride to a marina north of here yesterday. I had her on craigslist for 1250, and sold it in 10 hours for a thousand. It was bittersweet watching it leave here. Thanks again!