Pit Bull attacked my little dog

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Pit Bull attacked my little dog

glad to hear the 'hot dog' is ok Ken. <br /><br />other than a question of your dog being the aggressor at first.. I have nothing intelligent to add or say so I'll stay out of it.<br /><br />just happy there was no blood shed.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Barlow, it happend in my back yard, plus my dog was on the chain. The pitt entered through the garage, which my son left open when he got his bike out.<br /><br />My poor dog is really hurting, she is sluggish to get out of bed, but once she gets moving she is fine. The pit really bit her hard on the back legs, suprised that her neck isnt hurting her considering the pitt had her by the neck for several minutes. She is eating and drinking fine and the other body functions are fine too. She is just bruised badly, no puncture wounds.<br /><br />This dog truly does have several lives. We got her as a stray, the neighbors left town and just let the dog run free. They came back and said they didnt want the dog. I am not a dog person, but she is so nice I decided to keep her.<br /><br />If I was a squirrel hunter she would be great, she can see those things a mile away, and they drive her nuts. I wish she would get one one day.<br /><br />Thanks for all the well wishes,<br />Ken

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Ken .. you should realy take the lil gal to the vet for a couple fancy pictures and a check-up to see if she's OK internally and no bones are fractured/broken .. the owners of the Pit should understand this w/out a problem and take care of the bill w/o a fuss. <br /><br />A dogs pain threshold is generally extremly high and you'll never know whats what until you get a few pictures and possibly an ultra sound done.. <br /><br />mean-while take a regular asprin and quarter it .. give her one of the quarters and see how she responds from it.. might help her aching bones and muscles and get her moving around a little better.<br /><br />have a good one. ;)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Barlow:<br /> Ken .. you should realy take the lil gal to the vet for a couple fancy pictures and a check-up to see if she's OK internally and no bones are fractured/broken .. the owners of the Pit should understand this w/out a problem and take care of the bill w/o a fuss. <br /><br />A dogs pain threshold is generally extremly high and you'll never know whats what until you get a few pictures and possibly an ultra sound done.. <br /><br />mean-while take a regular asprin and quarter it .. give her one of the quarters and see how she responds from it.. might help her aching bones and muscles and get her moving around a little better.<br /><br />have a good one. ;)
Good advice, Barlow! all the way around.

ebbtide176

Commander

i spent alot of time around my uncle's farm, and he raised pits for catching cows & hogs. i have a gshep, and my parents had a rott/dobie mix until it died from old age. all i can say is that i was always cautious around these size/type dogs, and altho i do/did trust myself to be safe, i would always be concerned of children or anyone who may not understand dog behavior, to be around them.<br /><br />so, i guess i would say that i don't blame you for being angry, because i would be too. but also, they are dangerous animals, but everyone has a diff personality. my uncle's best pit was never a prob around children or anyone else. my parents dog was fine with kids, but dangerous to adults. my dog has never snapped at anyone, but did kill a neighbor's akita that came over into our yd...<br /><br />if i had a neighbor with a yippy dog, that came into my yd, i'd warn them of the possible danger from my dog. if they warned me of the danger from themselves to my dog - i'd offer my agreement, if they feel danger to person/property, but if not, i'd hope they'd at least call me to fetch him. (never have had to do this in 13+yrs) i've been there, done that, with everyone around me, but not my own animals... but i also put up a 6' fence to avoid this kind of crap. the best part for me is my dog is really old now, and doesn't even get up to sniff anyone anymore, he's just visual deterrment for the area i keep the boats & jeep & tools. we might get another beagle after he is gone. but dam those things + the ridgeback + collie breeds we had all dig like friggin moles! :D

ebbtide176

Commander

for anyone who doesn't feel comfy around dogs - they should think of farm animals, like bulls & billygoats... many animals when around unfamiliar persons, are dangerous, but if the owner is around, its another story. most people here probably remember running thru pastures to avoid a farmers bull. i did many times. even my own granpa's. but when he was around, i could walk up and pet most of them.

ebbtide176

Commander

dang i left out the part where i paid my neighbor $500 for his akita... i'm just glad i haven't been in the situation you were in, because i might have killed an animal attacking my pet on my property. but luckily i haven't. i felt really bad about the neighbor's dog, although i could have told them tuffstuff.

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

It doesn't matter what kind of dog it is, any and all measures should be taken to protect the public from the potential harms your dog can create. I am a former pit owner and yes I believe it is all in the raising, however I still believe all dogs have the capacity to cause damage. Be it a 130 lb Rottie all the way down to a little 10 lb yapper with little sharp as hell teeth. Personally I trust the big dogs over a chihuahua any day of the week. I do believe that any dog on a chain is way more likely to attack than a normally unchained dog. If I were chained up I would be pissed too! If only everyone in this lovely world would use a little common sense with their dogs and actually care about the animals enough to provide it with the humane items it deserves, (area to run, shelter, properly cared for medically, and God forbid a little interaction once in a while, not buy the dog and love it for a month and leave it in the back yard all by itself.) People with dogs should have more than adequate means of keeping it in their own yard. Anyway sorry for your little dog being shaken up. Keep in mind, although small, a .22 is very effective for them pesky neighbor's dogs on the run.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) "Mans best friend,is friends worst enemy"!!!! ;) :cool:

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

I live inside the city limits also. About 7 years ago, we drove into the driveway in my wife's mini-van, and there was a pit bull there. He was rearing up on the side of the van, and would not let us out of the van. I pulled out, drove around the block, returned, and he was still there. (He was barking at our dog who was inside the fence throwing a fit about the dog outside the fence.)<br /><br />We pulled out again, and my wife dropped me in front of the house, and I went inside, got my 9MM Ruger, and went to the drive way. 10 Seconds, dead dog. <br /><br />I got a ticket for discharging a firearm inside the city limits. <br />Deferred Ajudication, but would have been worth the fine, if they had fined me.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yea they have a leash law here in the "city limits" and out in the rural areas, you have to have "control" of them, read, not let run wild, or they are fair game.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Capt. Kidd,<br /><br />Where I live, you can discharge a fire arm within the the limit (its a matter of feet from a house, 100, 200, I forget the exact spec) as long as you are killing a nusance pest. <br /><br />I reminded a neighbor of this when I had to call them a number of times to come get their rotwiler from my back yard. At that time I had toddlers/tikes playing in the yard. After that I never saw their dog again. They eventually were evicted from the dairy farm they leased and were never heard from. Funny how they couldn't keep their dog on the farm. It was always half mile away in my yard.

Copespitter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Judging dogs by their breed instead of their behavior and then taking action. LOVELY!!!<br />Wish I could do that with certain "breeds" of people.<br />I'm not scared of much but i'm more scared of certain types of people than I am certain dogs and the bad thing is I can't handle the situation like alot of you have suggested.<br /><br />Tell you want i'm going to do, next time someones small pet is running loose in the hood i'm going to run it over and kill it good and dead for all you folk that are scared of getting bit.<br />Lord knows i've been bit way more by small dogs (especially them weenier dogs) than by larger dogs.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Copespitter, I dont think you read the entire thread. Read it all, then edit your post. No one here said all pit bulls are bad. I did say all pit bulls can be dangerous simply because their bite strength is much more than other dogs.<br /><br />BTW, my dog is fine, she is walking around like nothing happened. Very lucky dog.<br /><br />Ken