Pit Bull attacked my little dog

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: Pit Bull attacked my little dog

Here is a break down of dog bites for 2003:<br /><br /> Dog bites <br /><br />Interesting huh? Look how far down Rotties are, thier under Labs! Dogs are no less a product of thier environment than people are. People who treat dogs badly, ie, chain them or put them in the yard or kennel and never interact with them, they are the real problem, not the dog who needs companionship. That being said, pit bulls have been inbred for the purpose of fighting for ever. I think the breed has been probably genetically damaged past good breeders ability to salvage it. Who knows? I have a niehbor with some and they are good dogs, but they are the exception in my experience.<br /><br />Rotties on the other hand get a bad rap that is undeserved.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by SoulWinner:<br />Rotties on the other hand get a bad rap that is undeserved.
Amen to that SW. 'nuff said.

Carphunter

Commander

I don't like dogs that bark.<br /><br />........other then that, they're great. :D

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Sorry to hear about your dog. Glad to hear she'll be ok.<br />Like you said, the shotgun would have been much better to grab. Let em fine me for shooting in city limits. I would go to court and argue that one in a nanosecond!!<br />If they could get close enough to hit it with sticks, they could have put a large hole in the chest of the Pit!!!!<br /><br />AK Chappy

spratt

Lieutenant

A lot of people have and love many of these dogs on that list Ken put up...I have owned personally both Rotts and Huskies. I never experienced a problem, and I have to say that most of the problems are PROBABLY due to breeding and lack of attention. My son's Husky was the greatest dog we ever owned, and I would buy another in a heartbeat if I could have a dog in my place. We got him as a pup, and he was raised witht hekids, and I can honestly say he was the CLEANEST dog I ever owned, and was not smelly even when wet. If he got dirty, he would sit around like a cat and lick himself clean!!! Very well mannered, too, but I had one complaint...that was that he was so ornery and mischievous...mostly playful, like taking my box of nails when I was working because I didn't pay him any attention. Ran off, smiling, teasing me with them. Also, he liked to run, as is his nature, so keeping him penned up was a bit of a problem.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Soul winner, the CDC stats are based on deaths not bites.<br /><br />Your data shows rotts are not aggressive, and I agree, they are good dogs. I dont think any breed of big dog is more inclined to bite more than others.<br /><br />But the CDC stats show that when death is involved, pitts and rotts are bad.<br /><br />It goes into the strength of the jaws, pitts and rotts are very strong and can kill much easier than other dogs. Just look at their heads and the muscle strength compared to other dogs.<br /><br />Ken

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

BTW, my sister owns a chow chow, and it is the nicest dog ever. I found it on my parents property, it was a stray. It is very meek and the best it can do is lick you to death.<br /><br />Ken

SoulWinner

Commander

Ken, <br /><br />I hate it that your dog was attacked. I would personally put my beloved "Precious" down if she ever injured anyone or their pet. I hope you get a good resolution to this and I am very glad that your pittle puppy is alright.<br /><br />And yes, because of their strength and size Rotties do inflict a lot of damage when they bite.

LubeDude

Admiral

A few years ago there was a Pitt missing around my neighborhood, Hummmm, I wonder what happened to him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!A shot behind the ear, and a quick drive up the back roads!!<br /><br />Ya dont want an ill mannered animal around me!<br /><br />Ya, Im bad!! Sorry about that, thats the way I was raised. We shot dogs chasing the sheep also!

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

but I couldnt find any blood or puncture wounds.
Strange my two whippets started fighting and it was over in 5 seconds I was bleeding from getting stuck in the midddle they were both bleeding with puncture wounds and it scared me I couldnt look at them the same for days. Most dogs can do alot of damage but Pit bulls. Designed to fight thus should not be pets. <br /><br />I would be really concerned that they had allowed

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Hey Lubedude!! Was that dog chasing sheep originally from Maine!!!! ;) :cool:

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ken,<br /><br />Sorry also to hear about your experience. <br /><br />You might want to double check, but I'd be very surprised if you were to get into trouble for shooting a vicious dog in the process of attacking your pet on your property (as long as you were clean regarding gun registration requirements, etc.) <br /><br />I'm also surprised that your town/ city/ county doesn't have a 'vicious dog' law or policy. Animal control probably doesn't have the authority to create one, might want to talk to your local political rep about the problem in general if there isn't a law on the books.<br /><br />I understand the risks associated with certain breeds, but have been around a couple of pits and rotweillers that I would trust my children with. Of course, their owners knew dogs and they were effectively trained and socialized from puppies. <br /><br />Due to abuses in breeding for ignoble purposes, I suspect there are some rots and pits that would be untrustworthy regardless of how they were raised. An experienced and responsible owner/ trainer would be able to identify this and euthanize the dog. Probably becoming more and more of this type due to the number of a****les out there breeding for aggressive tendancies. <br /><br />Bottom line is that I would be VERY cautious w.r.t. certain aggressive breeds, but can't quite agree with completely elimininating a breed due to abuse, misuse, and ignorance of owners/ breeders. I doubt lines of show pits and rotweillers show the same level of aggressiveness as that bred into many out in the general public. <br /><br />But recognizing the risks, maybe it would be appropriate to enact certain laws w.r.t. these breeds that held owners responsible should the dog act viciously. Consequences to the owners would need to be severe enough to ensure that only qualified, experienced owners would be willing to accept the risk of owning such a breed. Might even be a mechanism to start reversing the agressiveness trend that is being bred into too many of these 'fighting' dogs.<br /><br />And by the way, if I had been in Ken's position I'd have shot the pit.<br /><br />For anyone interested I'd highly recommed reading the book 'How To Be Your Dogs Best Friend' written by an order of Monks in New Skeet, NY. They raise & train German Shepards. The book explains how to socialize and train a dog using methods derived from knowing a dog's (pack) perspective. I was shocked at how many things I thought would mean one thing, but to a dog actually indicated just the opposite. They form very close bonds with their dogs (as a matter of fact, they suggest that if you're not going to make the dog a member of the 'family' then you probably shouldn't get one), but also deal with things like discipline, where it's appropriate and how to apply it. <br /> <br />Just another perspective.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Soulwinner, those numbers as far as bites are from just one county in NV for 1 year. Sample size is probably too small to be representative.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

Ken, on your list of "bad" dogs you left off Dalmatians.<br /> They are a property/carnage dog that was adopted by fire departments to protect their property while they were at fires. If they have one blue eye, 50% both eyes blue 95% chance of being deaf. Part of the albino gene, Thus easily startled. You can fill in the rest.

oddjob

Commander

We adopted a rot near adulthood. It followed the kids home from the park. Was a good looking dog and great with adults. But when the kids played with it it snapped and growled a few times. Over a few days scolding did not help. I had no history of the dog and it was great except for that. Most rots I've incountered were protective of kids, not the other way around. So I called the pound.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

I am terribly sorry to hear about your dog's terrifying experience,i can only hope that your dog does not suffer any trumatic disorder from such a physical nightmare.

KaGee

Admiral

As the owner of two "all bark, no bite" 10lb yappers (1 Shi Tsu, 1 Pomeranian) I sympathize with you Ken. <br /><br />Around here the authorities take no s**t when it comes to Pitbulls. I am astonished that the police were called and the dog is still with the owner. If that happened here, the dog would have been impounded while the incident was investigated. The dog would not have been returned until the owner could prove he had liability insurance on the dog, and could demonstrate the ability to otherwise control the animal. The dog had to be determined to be not dangerous as well. Otherwise the animal would be destroyed.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> Around here the authorities take no s**t when it comes to Pitbulls.
Same here. In most cases the dogs are put down. if a person is attacked the dog owner can be charged.<br /><br />Aldo

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

I had several incendents a Doberman that lived 2 houses down from my sister-in law. In 1996 she was hit by a drunk doing 90mph and she was in the hospital 4 months and 2 of those months in a coma. After 2 months she went home in a wheelchair to weak to stand still I had to pick her up and put her in the wheelchair and go up the stairs to the house. One day we got back from therapy I put in the wheelchair closed the door on my truck and started to bring her in the next thing I saw was a large Doby running at us I got in between dog and her and started to yell at it. The dog slowed down but but kept coming at us as soon as I could I kicked the dog in the face and broke it's jaw. To make a long story short the cops came I told the cop if the dog ever stepped on the property again I will shoot the dog he told the owner I ever felt threated by the dog it was my right to defend whoever. I got dragged to small claims court to pay for the vet's bill...it was thrown out in less than 5 minutes.................