Pit Bull attacked my little dog

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
I know there are pit bull owners on this board but I dont care. I wish they would eliminate every one of these vicious dogs.<br /><br />These dogs may be the best dog in the world, but all it takes is one second or two and my 2 yr. old daughter could be killed. If they ever bite, it does serious damage. Plus they dot let go.<br /><br />The neighbors pit bull got out today, went into my back yard and proceeded to bite and latch on to my little dog. It would not let go. Wife and friends slammed the pit bull with sticks and various other items. The pit bull would not let go. Finally my dog escaped and hid in its house, with the pit trying to get her. The pit wouldnt leave my back yard. Wife called 911 and cops came and the pit ran off, and another neighbor put the pit in the owners back yard.<br /><br />My dog was shaken up, but I couldnt find any blood or puncture wounds. She is a weiner dog mix (all 10 lbs of terror) and will bark her head off at the biggest dogs. She is the best dog I have ever owned.<br /><br />I talked to owners and they were very apologetic and said they would put it on a chain and was going to get rid of it. I plan to call animal control tomorrow and see what they would do if I report it. If the owner doesn’t do something, I will be sure to get animal control involved.<br /><br />The pit is very lucky I was at work, as it would have been dragged away dead if I was at home.<br /><br />I talked to the other owner of a different pit and told him I was not happy with any pit bulls in the neighborhood.<br /><br />The main problem I have with pits is they can do much more damage than any dog, and when they start a job, they usually finish it.<br /><br />Ken

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Pit Bull attacked my little dog

Im not partial to pits either.......they are an animal bread to be insane and mean and for everyone that is ok there is one that is a danger........Not much you can do about them until they do something though.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Worthless inbred animals... <br /><br />Pits seem to be the dog of choice of the "gangstas" in my neighborhood... <br /><br />My scum bag neighbor is so proud of his backyard puppy mill... Mostly bred for fighting, I suspect... :mad:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

While national statistics show at least 30 breeds have attacked humans, 10 dog breeds are on the Center for Disease Control and Prevention's most dangerous list, meaning they tend to bite the most frequently. They are: <br /><br />Pit bulls <br />Rottweilers<br />German Shepherds<br />Huskies<br />Alaskan Malamutes<br />Doberman Pinschers<br />Chow Chows<br />Great Danes <br />St. Bernards <br />Akitas<br /><br />The breeds considered most likely to kill are pit bulls and rottweilers, and the CDC says that a chained dog is more likely to bite than an unchained dog.<br /><br />Here is a link that shows Pit bulls and Rottweilers killed more people than all other breeds combined, straight from the CDC.<br /><br /> http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/dogbreeds.pdf

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Glad your W-Dog is ok,KIZ. It wouldn't take long for that pit to finish off a wee pooch. Don't let it rest if your neighbor doesn't follow thru.

Homerr

Commander

Wouldn't be any hesitation on my part. .45 caliber behind the ear!<br /><br />I'd demand the dog be destroyed. PERIOD.<br />You'll be looking over your shoulder every time you're outside your home, and you'll worry about your dog when your'e gone. <br />I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to live in fear and worry around my own home!<br /><br />In my state (and I assume most others) you can kill the dog if "you were in fear for your life or your family"... Assuming of course the dog was attacking or attempting to do so.<br />(this actually happened to me once.. the dog didn't win...my SKS did) :( <br /><br />Everyone knows what pit bulls can do.<br />It's a miracle your pooch survived. Probably because the pitt let him go.<br /><br />99% of the pits I've seen are mean and vicious. On the other hand, my fondest memories are of my Grandpa's pitt... Most gentle thing in the world, except he had a thing for cats... H'ed break his own leg to get at one! :) <br /><br />I love dogs as much as the next guy, but nobody can argue the pitt bulls reputation.<br /><br />Maybe they should be registered? Seriously... Maybe pitt owners need to have special training and licensing before they can own one? Maybe one step further and have them insure the dog, kinda like malpractice?<br /><br />Just a thought...<br /><br />H.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Had I been home, I guarantee the first thing I would have grabbed was not the stick but the shotgun.<br /><br />However, I live in the city limits. I just wonder what the cops would have done with me blowing away some dog.<br /><br />Guess if I could bury it fast, then there would be no problem.<br /><br />My dad said the gun would have been a bad idea.<br /><br />But a large pit (may have been the same one!) was in the back yard last year, and that was the first thing I grabbed that time.<br /><br />Ken

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

My sympathies Ken......you are indeed fortunate that your pooch is OK. <br />Brace yourself for those on this board who will claim it is all a matter of training, environment and love. They will twist it to shift the burden to the owners demeanor that is responsible for a pits or rotties, or whatever behavior breed.<br /><br />Whatever.....I do not now nor ever will trust a pit, rottie, shepperd, etc around my kids. Just to much statistical data and past history to deny that these breeds can be violent.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear about it Ken.<br />Not gona get in any big argument, but I have and do raise Rotts and will have to say that I would trust any of them I have around any of my grandchildren at any time.<br /><br />When I raise one up, I raise it so myself or anyone else can go in their kennel at anytime, while they are eating or anything.<br />I sell these dogs and I sure don't want them any other way when I give them to their opwners.<br /><br />Some of you remember Chance.<br />He now weighs just a little over 135 pounds and is just a big baby that don't want to do anything but play with his tennis ball.<br /><br />I will agree that pits are a bad breed and are just plain mean by nature, but Rotts also have a bad name.<br />All I can vouch for are the one's I have raised and sold.<br />Now I'm done.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I know I don't care for em much. I just can't understand why someone would want to keep a vicious dog. It surprised me when they locked up that couple for the death their dog caused. Having a pit is like letting a child play with a loaded gun. Your neighbors should be forced to turn over the dog to authorities to be destroyed. <br /><br />I was concerned when my dog would nip at my grandkids, but I disciplined him immediately. The grandkids were also instructed on things not to do to keep the dog from nipping. Since then he hasn't got out of line. Alot has to do with the raising of the dog, but if it is in their blood they will always be a risk to own.<br /><br />Ken, I would demand animal control to take action. The next attack could be on a child and the owners then would be doing jail time.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Kenimpzoom<br /> I feel for ya<br /> I live in a faily isolated, or at least used to, area myself.<br /> I have several dogs including a cousins dog buried outback. most dogs,especially ones with collars get one warning shot after that I bury them.<br /> if its on my property chasing my cats I bury them.<br /> I dont tolerate it.<br /> same as when I had the puppies here. if the dog wants to kill then I take the same attitude.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Sad to hear this. All dog owners must take responsibility for their pets behavior. The Pit's from what I read tend to be the worst, even if raised as a pet.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I had a pit when I was a kid. Buzz was a purple ribbon breeder that was a kid protector. My dad would have to chain him up to spank us. One time he didn't and Buzz broke down the door and pinned my dad till I pulled him off. We moved to town and had to leave him with some friends. They mistreated him. We got him back and he was never the same. I, and my wife, would love to have another one. I have two girls though. I know the dogs can be good but I don't think I want to take the chance.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Some people like their dogs more so then humans[sick people]!!!! Some people think that their dog is a human in a fur coat[sick people]!!! Some people take their dog to an out door band concert with hundreds of people around, not thinking what could happen[sick people]!! Some people keep an attack dog in a thickly settled neigborhood behind flimsy constructed fence[sick people]!!! Some people walk their dog on the beach with big sign"NO DOGS" to urinate and and do dog doodles[sick people]!!! Some people go to that beach and lay in that same sand[very sick people]!!!<br /><br />SORRY ABOUT YOUR DOG because of an uncaring neighbor!!! ;) :cool:

oddjob

Commander

Ditto on what Pat and rodbolt said.<br /><br />What would you do if as pit latched on to you or a love one and you had no gun available?....insert your thumbs into the dogs eye sockets....ALL THE WAY!...you can do it if you had to....just a thought....be prepared and rehearse a strategy for any dangerous situation if you can.

JasonB

Lieutenant

I'm in a slightly related situation, but am slightly srprised that my dog is on the CDC list (Husky). My next door neighbor has a Rott (female) and my Husky is a female that doesn't tend to like most other female dogs, although she loves playing with the female lab our other neighbor has. The Rott also makes me slightly nervous as I have a 1yr old daughter. That is why a privacy fence is going up.<br /><br />That being said, Fancy would be hard pressed to attack anyone... it would mean she had to crawl out of her favorite bed behind my recliner...unless someone was trying to harm one of the family.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Jason, Huskies are number three, but they are a very distant third. Pits and Rotts are way ahead.<br /><br />I called animal control and they said all they can do is fine the owner. That isnt going to help. They have to capture the dog out in order to take it away.<br /><br />The owner promised to do something, and I will make sure they follow up. The owner was genuinely concerned, so I hope the do the right thing.<br /><br />Ken

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hmmm, vicious comments about my girl, Luna. I better let her know. And she was purchased from a breeder of these "vicious dogs". My friend has her brother and I've yet to see the actions you speak of.................<br /><br />
f899fcf1.jpg

ehenry

Commander

I own a German Shepard and I have to say that there is a stigma that travels with the breed. I also have to say that any dog no matter the breed will bite or attack another dog in defense of their territory. That is a dogs nature. My shepard isn't an aggresive dog towards people but is toward another dog. I didnt raise her that way thats just the way she is. My neighbor however has a chocolate lab thats almost a year old that is very aggresive towards people. To my knowlege they didn't raise the dog to be aggresive....its just that way. I've mentioned this to them and told them the first time the dog comes after my parents or any one visiting my house that I'd leave the dog laying where ever I shoot it. They told me that they won't blame me but they still do nothing about the dog. I live in the country so theres no animal control.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

ef henry I agree with you. Dogs are dogs, and all will bite occasionally.<br /><br />The problem I have with pits, is that when they do bite, it does significant damage. Their body design is made to inflict maximum damage.<br /><br />My friend had two german shepards, one was the nicest dog you could ever know. The other was the meanest dog ever and would try to bite anyone other than the owner. He didnt teach it to do that, that is the way it was.<br /><br />Ken