Photos inside - transom, flooring, etc..please - advice.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: Photos inside - transom, flooring, etc..please - advice.

Never Never Never do a transom job from the outside. You can end up with a weak, nasty looking mess. Even with epoxy, the hull shell will never have the integrity it had when it was original. Transom jobs should always be done from the inside. I assure you, if peace of mind is what you want, doing a transom job from the outside will not give you that. You would be better of leaving it as is than doing an outside transom job.

sincraft

Seaman

Welp, I really doubt I am going to remove the transom wood. I worked on getting my engine turned over today before fubaring my transom. This way I can know what I can work on during the rainy days :) <br /><br />I REALLY hate the fact that I cut a bunch of little holes in my transom first layers > ply. So I figured, what's another just to ensure what I am up to..<br /><br />So I cut another one to the edge. I dont have a photo but I can tell you this:<br />-The transom is VERY thick wood and rather solid, although damp. It's a 12 layer ply that that is almost 2" thick! It runs almost completely to the edge, where when you cut..they ran it short by 3/4" of an inch ..then there is just dead air, then the turn/corner of the fiberglass makes a turn toward the sides. At first I thought it was a box as it was getting dark, but when I shined a light on it, it was completely solid THICK plywood 3/4" of an inch to the edge.<br /><br />Replacing the transom from the inside is NOOOOOT an option. Doing that would require my to remove the floor, and the back shelf. See the photo of the boat...there is absolutely no way to cut behind that shelf as it JUST barely comes off of the wall.<br /><br />I've never seen a debate (but am new) about building a transom from the inside or the outside..I have seen only complete replacements...I can't imagine that a complete replacement would be stronger unless it is wrapped around the corners with the rest of the hull..in that case, I dont understand why a rear build up wouldnt be just as good..but like I said, I'm a newbie.<br /><br />So here are the options as I understand..<br />-Remove the transom woods and back layers of glass etc..<br />-Remove just the glass/gelcoat (MUCH easier) and let the wood dry for a long time, rotseal it, then recover it.<br />-Just patch the current holes, sand, paint..<br /><br />I will still need to dig out all of the rotten wood at the bottom and partially the sides of the draintube and fill it. The other 'inspection' holes are what you saw in those photos and another box shapped one near the back to the side that is 3" x 3". All they did to sure up those corners was to add some redish epoxy substance and a small 1" strand of glass smashed in the corners, so I feel conident that repairing this beyond factory specs is very possible for this corner but fear how I would do an entire transom as the wood runs so close to the edge.<br />Like I said, to get to the wood from the inside would be COMPLETELY impossible...trust me or I would have NO problem taking the seemingly majority 'vote' and doing so..<br /><br />Suggestions PLEASE!<br /><br />S

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Dig out the rotten wood, let it dry, fill it, seal it up, go fish.<br /><br />I know you think that there's no way to do it from the inside, but from the pics, yours is an easy one, small with very few things in the way that need to be worked around or torn out. The splash well can be cut out and replaced easily if needed.<br /><br />From what you said it's just wet, not rotten except around the drain. So don't do more than is needed.

swimmin' for shore

Chief Petty Officer

Sin, I've looked at your pics, read through these posts, and thought this over. You're nuts, buddy. No insult at all. I'm nuts, too. Don't love a boat so much that it burns a hole in your pocket. You've got a boat that floats. Don't get too deep into it. You admit that it's a junk fishing boat. If your hull is too bad, buy a new hull. Go on ebay. Without a motor, you can find a decent hull with solid transom and all of the attachments there, usually on a trailer, for 300 bucks and often less. A new floor, or a new transom, will take you way beyond that. And you haven't discussed stringers, fiberglass work, etc...I love my boats, too. I just liquidated 2 of them this weekend, though, because I'd gotten in over my head. For the price of one of them, I went out and bought a 21' Reinell that just needed the engine dropped. Complete, with good gelcoat, glass, every single part, new parts, new battery, new travel cover, new upholstery, new carpet, and a trailer that is worth not a penny less than 2,500 dollars. Ebay price? $1,050, plus 250 dollars worth of gas for the drive, 2 days of roads, and 2 new tires. So I say again. Look around. Don't spend too much money on a hull unless you're really in love with it. <br />JasonJ, I almost tried to contact you the other day. I came right through your area when I came back with the Reinell. I'm dying to see that beast. Shoot me an email, through my profile(email addy under homepage). I'm through there occasionally. That, or you can come do some salmon fishing in a month or so. <br />Good luck, Sync. I hope it works out great for you.

sincraft

Seaman

Thanks guys. I will actually enjoy the sanding and filling part - I build RC airplanes to scale and enjoy being very precise with that sorta stuff. :) All my finish jobs look better than factory, unless the 'replica' of the time doesn't call for it, then it looks of that era.<br /><br />HOPEFULY I will have new seats by this weekend. The seats in there are toast. They want $99 at boatworld for a jump seat and base...my base is alreayd made up, and the seats are made to flip up for the livewell/bait..so that probably wont work and Ill have to redo my seats with new foam and marine fabric. The prices of foam alone are insane - so I MAY just cover this thing up, make it a mini cooler / storage and pop one swivel seat on top of it before I paint the floor...<br /><br />Any suggestions on filler for under hull dings and of course for the transom? <br />Exactly what is it I need to look for. Mat, epoxy or poly (whats the difference ehhe) etc? I want to be able to sand and finish to a decent look and then 'repaint?' the entire back end so it looks uniform..<br /><br />Thanks for all the input and time spent writting to me guys, I have learned more than I could by stopping at 100 boat dealers in 3 years of my life in less than 1 hour on these forums!<br /><br />Thanks so much - I will of course take a photo of me in the water (sinking possibly) when I get her back in :) <br /><br />S

tengals123

Master Chief Petty Officer

you'll want an epoxy filler. A good density one. Not sure of what's available over there, but definatly a epoxy filler for those jobs.<br /><br />cheers

sincraft

Seaman

I have probably the same stuff you all have - unless it's really good but pollutes, then it probably only comes in a 5 gallon drum here :) <br /><br />In all seriousness though, I've read where using epoxy on or around poly is bad as they are disimuliar(spelling?) and won't flex 'properly'... any thoughts?<br /><br />Also - how should I build that up, epoxy/poly, then mat, then two more layers of epoxy/poly - then ... is there a gelcoat you can buy or should i use a tinted bondo? Also when it is all done and sanded, what is the best to 'paint' it all with to have an even look? Not that I mind the repair spots but ..<br /><br />S

tengals123

Master Chief Petty Officer

yeah, i wouldnt mix epoxy and poly for the same repair. Epoxy and matt should go well. Use a epoxy filler for the final fairing something like epifil or similar. Use a foam roller for a simple, clean, even look.<br /><br />cheers

cart7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hope you don't take offense sincraft but that boat is an old POS. Spending any amount of money on that thing is basically money down the drain. <br /><br />That said, since you're only running a 9.9hp motor on the back the transom isn't going to recieve near the stress that it would with a larger motor. My advice, seal off any holes and cracks, get a piece of 3/4" cdx plywood, about 1/2 gal of resin, cut the piece to fit the entire inside of the transom, coat the piece of wood and then epoxy and/or screw the board to the inside of the transom. I'd do the same to the floor as well.<br /><br />In the meantime, start looking for a new boat. I just bought a 1986 Champion Dual console Bassboat in outstanding condition for $1200. The motor was blown so I took the motor off my old boat and put it on the new one. It needs a transom rebuild which I'll do a Seacast job on soon but the gelcoat, carpeting, everything is beautiful. I sold a 1978 Champion 16'8" boat for $600 that was in pretty good shape as is.<br /><br />There are plenty of good deals on older boats w/o motors out there to be found. Just keep searchin the internet or call area boat dealers and see what they may have taken in on trade that's just sitting in back collecting dust. Personally, any money you spend on your existing boat would be better spent on something better.