Penetrating oil - whats best? Really.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Re: Penetrating oil - whats best? Really.

Ford or Chevy? You'll get a million opinions.

My experience: WD-40 not very good; PB Blaster & Liquid Wrench much better.

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I changed the prop shaft log hose winter before last. Before using anything I could not budge any of bolts on the xmission - propshaft coupler. Applied PB Blaster on a Sunday afternoon and the next Sunday afternoon the bolts turned out easily. I like PB Blaster.

bigdee

Commander

Not rocket science to any of that stuff. Mix up ATF with kerosene,acetone, paint thinner or something equivalent. I toured the Liquid wrench plant and seen how they made that stuff....the recipe is proprietary but the tanks behind the plant were all labeled. Napha, kerosene, light oil? And I can't remember what the other tank was. Preventative maintenance is still the best answer I use anti-seize on everything that I might have to take apart again someday

robert graham

Admiral

Not rocket science to any of that stuff. Mix up ATF with kerosene,acetone, paint thinner or something equivalent. I toured the Liquid wrench plant and seen how they made that stuff....the recipe is proprietary but the tanks behind the plant were all labeled. Napha, kerosene, light oil? And I can't remember what the other tank was. Preventative maintenance is still the best answer I use anti-seize on everything that I might have to take apart again someday

Ditto on what you said!....I just mix up my own!...sorta gives me that "mad scientist" feeling!:D

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

Preventative maintenance is still the best answer I use anti-seize on everything that I might have to take apart again someday

^^Ditto^^

Though I may have to try this Kroil stuff I keep reading about :cool:

<<)))(((>>

Moody Blue

Captain

If you are talking about the so called "Machinist Workshop magazine" article that has been floating around the internet for years, I don't think anyone has actually been able to find the actual article but the numbers get quoted all over the place. Some people claim that it wasn't even ATF but power steering fluid too.

I read a similar article that claimed acetone was not the additive use with ATF, but instead was trichlorethylene 123 or something like that. A chemical not available to the average joe. Another article claims that acetone and ATF fluid do not mix together, and in fact they separate like oil and water. Hard to know what to believe. Seems PB blaster and Liquid Wrench are well liked though.

I've used the liquid wrench in the past with marginal success. Just trying the BP Blaster product now for the first time, so we'll see how that goes.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

bruce58, Atf and power steering fluid were one of the same yrs back. I've tried the forumula and it does work.

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

Until somebody shows me proof of something better I`ll stay with PB. I`ve watched it work its way straight up threads.

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

I too prefer PB blaster. One reason is that when you apply heat it will boil before it flashes.

msaunoras

Seaman Apprentice

I use PB blaster at work, for a penetrating oil I doubt anything can be proven better.

I won't touch exhaust nuts or bolts without an oxy acetylene torch in my hand(rust belt). when those break then out comes my MIG. If you can weld to it, you can remove it.

rickryder

Commander

I found that the best on the market is Seafoam Deep Creep.... I have used all of the above but now the Seafoam is all I'll use. My binding steering cable is now smooth as silk after funneling some Deep Creep down it :D

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Whaler. That's the one I was talking about, but on mine it shows the cost per ounce and the ATF was the cheapest.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

lots of interesting posts on the site, from rust removal with acid and electrolysis to removing 60 year old bolts with penetrating oil.

bigdee

Commander

lots of interesting posts on the site, from rust removal with acid and electrolysis to removing 60 year old bolts with penetrating oil.

As long as you put everything into perspective. Nothing in a can is going to magically loosen a severely rusted bolt,sometimes you have to resort to a little machine work! If it is just a through-bolt I grind 'em off with a cut-off wheel and replace. If it is a blind hole I will try the penetrating oil and if I wring the bolt off I will either drill & re-tap or use a stick welder to extract the broken bolt.