Peanut Butter

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Is there an exact recipe for peanut butter. Obviously polyresin, cabosil, and chopped fibers. Is there a ratio that works best on this stuff or other ingredients? I did a search and looked through the stickies, but really didn't get what I was looking for. Any help is appreciated.

Chuck.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Look at Jay's video and thread in link 14 of the 3rd stickie

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
No real recipe .. just add cabosil until you get the consistency you want ..
It takes a good bit of volume to make it thick

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Especially thick if it's side or top work application. So it doesn;t roll off the area mentioned. Hence Peanut peanut Butter.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I agree, there is no set recipe. I find myself just mixing each patch depending on the temps and application. I first pour the poly in and then start adding the Cabosil until it is close. Then, also depending on the application, I will add 1/4" chopped fiberglass strands or not. And then after everything is mixed, I add in the MEKP last and mix it very well for another few minutes That way I get the longest open time. JMHO

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I agree, there is no set recipe. I find myself just mixing each patch depending on the temps and application. I first pour the poly in and then start adding the Cabosil until it is close. Then, also depending on the application, I will add 1/4" chopped fiberglass strands or not. And then after everything is mixed, I add in the MEKP last and mix it very well for another few minutes That way I get the longest open time. JMHO

Perfect GM......thank you. This was exactly what I was looking for, more of an instruction set or how to. I should have been more specific in my post.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll definitely check out the links.

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think its more important to mix the resin and catalyst first to ensure thorough blend of the important stuff!! u end up with the same 'open' timeframe because ur not trying to thoroughly mix the mekp thru all the other junk as well (sorry not trying to cause any arguments, but thats the explanation i found)

As a rule of thumb i used equal units resin and cabosil, and 1/4 unit chopped strand, then added up to 1/4 unit extra cabosil as required. At that ratio its a mayo consistency till the chop gets added and makes it peanut butter consistency. Any more chop than that makes it difficult to smooth out. And i stopped bothering with a spoon to smooth the fillets, and just used the mixing stick (tongue depressor)

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I think its more important to mix the resin and catalyst first to ensure thorough blend of the important stuff!! u end up with the same 'open' timeframe because ur not trying to thoroughly mix the mekp thru all the other junk as well (sorry not trying to cause any arguments, but thats the explanation i found)

As a rule of thumb i used equal units resin and cabosil, and 1/4 unit chopped strand, then added up to 1/4 unit extra cabosil as required. At that ratio its a mayo consistency till the chop gets added and makes it peanut butter consistency. Any more chop than that makes it difficult to smooth out. And i stopped bothering with a spoon to smooth the fillets, and just used the mixing stick (tongue depressor)

That does make sense as trying to mix a small amount of MEKP thoroughly in a thick mixture is pretty difficult. Thanks for the reply.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

This is how I did it, too. After you mix a batch or two and figure our your ratios of resin, cabosil and chopped fibers, it really doesn't affect your pot time because you can have the dry ingredients measured and ready to dump into the catalyzed resin. I'd rather make sure the resin and MEKP are thoroughly mixed.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I've done it both ways ... The outcome was the same .. They both hardened with no issues ... If you add before the cabosil just don't waist any time mixing it in ....

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I put the hardener in first also. Did it the other way once. The dang thing hardened, but cracked when it did, I suppose I mixed it wrong or to much hardener, but after that I mix it in first. Never had another issue.

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here my formula, I use metric. Some times for the PB I do not put the total amount of Cabosil in. I may like it runny.

Resin Catalyst Percent Resin Catalyst Percent
500 ml ~ 5 ml ~ 1% 1000 ml ~ 10 ml ~ 1%
500 ml ~ 7.5 ml ~ 1.5% 1000 ml ~ 15 ml ~ 1.5%
500 ml ~ 10 ml ~ 2% 1000 ml ~ 20 ml ~ 2%

Peanut Butter Recipe
Resin Catalyst Percent Cabosil 1/4 Fibers Resin Catalyst Percent Cabosil 1/4 Fibers
500 ml ~ 5 ml ~ 1% 750 ml 37.5 ml 1000 ml ~ 10 ml ~ 1% 1500 ml 75 ml
500 ml ~ 7.5 ml ~ 1.5% 750 ml 37.5 ml 1000 ml ~ 15 ml ~ 1.5% 1500 ml 75 ml
500 ml ~ 10 ml ~ 2% 750 ml 37.5 ml 1000 ml ~ 20 ml ~ 2% 1500 ml 75 ml

250ml ~ 2.5ml ~ 1% 350 ml 18.75 ml

8 oz = 236.588 ml 2.5 ml at 1%
16 oz = 473.176 ml 5.0 ml at 1%
32 oz = 946.353 ml 1000ml=33.814 oz 10 ml = 1% 15 ml= 1.5%

Temperature goes up, MEKP % goes down, Temperature goes down MEKP % goes up Around 70 degree Fahrenheit

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I see others have their ideas and opinions as well. And that IS good giving the options so anybody can choose what works for them. I have not had any problems with any mixtures not hardening or curing mixing the MEKP in last. But it doesn't matter which way you go if it works for you. The reason I went with the MEKP in last, is because I now mix via how thick the mixture is looking for the application. And that can take a few minutes of mixing a little Cabosil and seeing how the mixture looks. Then adding more if necessary. And that time is part of the "open time" that starts once you mix the MEKP in first. Not trying to defend my ideas, or even trying to make folks use my methods, just explaining them. Use whatever works for you. There is no one way better or worst then any other if the end results are accomplished. JMHO

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try it both ways, MEKP before, MEKP after.

It's interesting that my first restoration was my little bayliner and I didn't have this forum as guidance. I didn't know anything about PB until I read through several restorations. I used polyresin and tiny strips of CSM to build up fillets. It was such a pain in the butt. I swore after I finished that boat I'd never restore another, lol. Yet here I am, with a much bigger project.

Thanks to everyone's restoration posts and all the information things have already gone much more smoothly. Of course, there is a little to be said about knowing what lies beneath too.

Thanks again for all your input. I value it greatly. As does my poor semi-gutted Chap!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
All my PB is mixed at a 1% mekp ratio and the Mekp is added last. Never had any issues. I usually start @ 1 Part Resin, and 1.5 parts of cabosil. For stringers and Transoms, I usually use 1000ml of Resin, 1500 ml of Cabosil and 75ml of Chopped strand. For filling gouges or other Structural areas, I cut up 1" strands of 1708 to make "Tiger Hair". VERY hard to sand but strong as steel!!!