Parts availability for 1988 25hp Yamaha?

Snowdrggn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am considering the above motor for a repower of my inflatable. the motor is in pristine condition, approximately 400 hrs, meticulously maintained, and very reasonably priced. my only concern is parts availibility for it as it is 18 years old. Could people be so kind as to let me know your experiences with getting basic service and overhaul parts for older Yamaha outboards? Our local dealer is not noted for stocking much of anything, so I expect to order and wait for most things that I will need.

Years ago I became a fan of JohnRudes because of the lack of parts availibility with Mercury once they hit the 10 year mark in their life. I can get most of the service parts for my 1974-1989 JohnRudes off the local dealer shelves, and there is a large interchangability factor at play with them. Is Yamaha similar?

I have a group of friends that run smaller inflatables, which are powered exclusivly by 9.9/15 hp JohnRudes.
If we kill one in any fashion, it can be back on the water in under 24 hrs, drawing from the spares we have stashed in my garage/shop. (including complete fresh powerhead, lower units, and several parts motors).

The only reason I'm repowering is to tow a kneeboard, as it seems that the riders are getting heavier as the years go by. Yamaha seems to have the rep for performance, reliability, and durability, and reasonable weight.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Snow.

PS: For the long remote ventures, my trusted "rude" will still be doing the pushin'

Dscf0051.jpg

Dscf0060.jpg

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Parts availability for 1988 25hp Yamaha?

I'm not sure about new crankshafts and the like, but look to the right of your post and you'll see what is available through Sierra, etc. That doesn't even include what you can still get through Yamaha. Overhaul parts may be more than you need for a 1988. I'm not sure it would be worth the cost of an overhaul. But maintenance parts should be no problem.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Fortunately. Yamaha has not been a company that obsoletes everything and then doesn't supply parts. Many much later models use either the same parts or compatible ones.

Snowdrggn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for your quick response,

Cheers,
Snow.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

keep with the yamaha, inflatable + yamaha = no.1 ........