PAPER TOWEL ROLLS? or TOILET TISSUE ROLLS?

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks everyone for all the previous help....here is a new situation.

I am finished with the demo, sanding, grinding etc. And have cut and fitted the Marine ply for stringers, bulkheads, transom, etc. The transom has already been installed, PB and tabbed with 1708. Next step is a slight sanding and wipe down with Acetone and PB'ing the stringers. My main questions are these:

During the original tear down: I discovered that the original manufacturer had used what looks like paper towel or toilet tissue rolls on the lower section of the hull. Actually "half" tubes of light cardboard. They ran approximately 14 feet from the stern forward. 2 were inside the ski locker, while the other 2 were outside the ski locker but inside the main stringers. There tubes are circled in red, the green circle is the center keel and was wood.

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
PAPER TOWEL ROLLS continued.

Here are a few photos of the tubes? They seemed to have been covered with mat. They may have been there to add some strength.

My planned lay up right now is to use 1-5/8" wood dowel, ripped length wise and PB to the hull followed by a layer of 1708. However, I am not really sure I need to even install these "tubes." I went overkill on the main stringers. Two layers of 3/4" marine grade ply, Titebond III, for a full 1-1/2 thickness. The inside stingers for the ski locker are just one layer of 3/4" thick marine grade. All ply has been sealed with poly resin, etc.

I bow to the knowledge from the experts here on the forum. What do you folks think? Use the 1-5/8" half tubes or just forget them?

Thanks as always.
Dan

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well ya already have them cut and layed out . Might as well pb them in place and glass over them ... You could use t/p rolls but that would take a whole lot of carp to have enough .. :D

crackedglass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Years ago I did a repair and new floor in an old Sea King, made by Starcraft, it had the same style paper forms for the round stringers. When I put it back together, I used similar diameter pool noodles cut in half to form up my new stringers with the thought that it would ad some floatation at the same time.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Those were the inner tubes from rolls carpet cut in half. Pretty common back in the day. We even used large diameter cheap rope to do the same thing. They were used as a form to make the flat areas of the hull stiff. Nobody cared if they rotted out, the glass covering them was what was wanted. Think of them as "hollow" stringers. I would put all back in just as you have it now.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Any chance they were used for drainage applications? Just asking.

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
Any chance they were used for drainage applications? Just asking.

KC.....No, they couldn't have been used for drainage since the originals were tapered at each end and sealed. I will use the wood dowels since it seems the general consensus is to do something similar to the original. I will use 1708 instead of mat to cover them.....I do kind of like Crackedglass's idea of "pool noodles" to add a little additional floatation. :facepalm: As always, thanks everyone.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I tore apart an old 56 glasspar sport lido last summer and they had those on the underside of the bow in front of the wind shield to the edge of the hull, with all the matting and glass on them, they were as hard as rock, had to use a bi-metal blade on the sawzall to cut through those things, the cardboard on those half rolls must have been a half inch thick and totally saturated with resin!

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks MT....These were pretty easy to cut out, and if it wasn't for the use of mat to form them, I probably would not bother reforming them. I thought they might be providing some structural support, just not sure how much support. And by the way KC...as for your question about drainage...Yes! they probably aided in moving water over the hull to the bilge. I don't know why I thought you were thinking they were hollow tubes like pipes.. :lol:

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Jimmy, I figure since I have already cut and temporarily positioned the wood dowels, I will just go that route. PB them in with a 1/4" space and lay down 1 layer of 1708 over them should do the trick. Although...I do like Crackedglass's idea of "pool noodles" to add a little additional floatation. Still a few days away from having to make a final decision.:facepalm:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Polyester resin will "EAT/melt" the pool noodles unless you wrap them in packing tape first.

bubbaajack

Recruit
Funny how great minds think alike! I have been researching my project and found those tubes are called hull stiffeners and are available at http://www.preforms.com/ and maybe elsewhere. I did use a pool noodle with packing tape to patch a couple of them! My concern with dowels is just adding weight where it is probably not needed and any wood is more to rot someday. I have been told that "water always wins...eventually". Good luck with your restore!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Polyester resin will "EAT/melt" the pool noodles unless you wrap them in packing tape first.

Woody I rolled some poly on a pool noodle the other day as a test .... It had no effect at all on the noodle ... Just brushed a small area a few inches wide ....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Velly Intellesting!!!! Maybe because they have a kind of plastic coating on em!!! SEE I told you I'm an Old Dumb Okie!!!!

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
:laugh: :lol: :facepalm: One thing I have learned for sure....just when you think you have learned something and made a decision, along comes more information. :laugh: No complaints. Bubbaajack...I really think the additional weight is minimum, however I do agree about the wood, even though I have coated it with poly resin. My main question now is more or less if these are indeed hull stiffeners...if I decide to use the pool noodles (covering them with plastic or whatever) will I still get the same effect using the 1708?

The original "main stringers" as well as the center stringers (which only framed the ski locker area) were all 1/2" wide. I have made the main stringers 1-1/2" wide (2 3/4" wide marine grade) and the center stringers also 3/4" wide. Since I went over-kill on the stringers...Do I even need the hull stiffeners?

As always....thanks for the feed back.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The stiffening effect comes from the Glass NOT the cardboard or the noodles. They are just the "mold" to give shape to the glass. The 1708 and resin provide the strength. Yes, you need the stiffeners to add additional strength to the hull. The mfg designed it that way so stay with the design.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
The stiffening effect comes from the Glass NOT the cardboard or the noodles. They are just the "mold" to give shape to the glass. The 1708 and resin provide the strength. Yes, you need the stiffeners to add additional strength to the hull. The mfg designed it that way so stay with the design.

Yes and no Woody. I did the same thing on my sailboat..added some 'halved' cardboard tubes..resin coated the crap outa them..then glassed over. The old school fiberglass guy told me that cardboard is completely compatible with resin/glass and would make it stronger than just fiberglass. After all, it is wood.

But in the long run Yes..they are for stiffeners..you should put them back. Try to bend a few layers of Flat fiberglass..yea ok..now try to bend Rounded fiberglass..Not gonna happen. I liked the cardboard because I could relief slice them up to better match the curve of the hull.

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
LOL :laugh: I just got back from the "Dollar store" bought a pool noodle, going to put some resin on a piece and see what happens. If it melts, I will wrap it with package tape, if it doesn't melt I will use them instead of the wood. I really like the idea of additional floatation. Yacht Dr., I should also be able to slice them to follow the curve of the hull. I will advise what happens later guys. :rolleyes: :facepalm:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Unless your dollar store has different ones than mine, they are going to melt into a sticky ugly goo, I tried it once and what a mess!