Painting / repairing bottom of 1982 ebbtide montego

KLDARMY

Cadet
I have repaired some deep gouges and scrapes on the bottom with marine tex. I plan on filling the minor ones with evercoat marine filler. Then paint over with gluvit. Then I will coat with interlux black anifouling paint. I need to know how I should go about it. Once I have all the scrapes filled in with either filler or marine tex I plan on sanding down with 120grit sand paper. Then clean with acetone and apply gluv it. After that I'm not sure how to go about painting the gluvit. I have bought interlux antifouling Paint, bottom prep cleaner, bottom primer, and the gluvit. Any tips or tricks for applying each would be appreciated also. Thanks for the help in advance.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Painting / repairing bottom of 1982 ebbtide montego

Is your boat going to be left in the water for long periods of time? Is that why you are using the AntiFouling Paint? Why Gluvit? What is the thinking on that?

KLDARMY

Cadet

No maximum of 4 days maybe 1 or 2 times a year when camping other then that just in and out each weekend. I had a few pin holes and a small 1/4" crack that was sanded and patched. I thought using gluvit over the whole area once it has been repaired would give it a little more protection should I scrape something. The gluvit has no color and is transparent but can be tinted therefore must be painted to cover. It is not uv protected either and is recommended to paint over it. I bought the bottom paint with prep and primer and planned on only using that. I bought the gluvit for use on other parts of the boat to seal it after I have replaced the ski locker area. I figured I could use it on the bottom too and just bought the gallon. Bad idea?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Uhmmm, not really the way to repair a glass hull. It will be a temporary fix at best. I went back and looked at your previous thread you started in January and did not see any pics of the underside of the hull. Pics of it would really help us to help guide you to the proper methods of repair and finish for the bottom of the hull.

KLDARMY

Cadet

IMG_1293.jpgIMG_1294.jpgIMG_1295.jpgIMG_1296.jpg Thanks for the advice. Don't think this will help too much. I sanded them down on the edges and then used marine tex to cover. did this a couple months ago since it looked thin in a few spots. I plan on putting a keel guard on it after due to all the scrapes.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

For sure you don't need to use gluvit. IMHO it's a waste of product and money. You don't need bottom paint either. A good two part epoxy paint will do a good job of coating and protecting your hull. I'd check this out...Supermarine Revolution (TS-1000) Even though it says topside, it will work fine on your hull as long as it's not left in the water more than 3-4 days at a time. It's your boat and you can do as you see fit, this is just my suggestions base on my experiences and knowledge gained from all the guys here on the forum and their projects.

KLDARMY

Cadet

Thanks I believe I will buy the etching primer and epoxy paint. This way also saves a little on weight I believe. Hopefully this gives me a better surface for less drag also. I have read in a few posts that painting may slow the boat down in some cases. That paint is more what I was looking for I just wish I had posted a while back before I bought all the paint. I thought bottom paint was the best and bought it, but then read if your boat doesn't sit in water for long periods it is unnecessary. So I was thinking gluvit since i needed it for another repair. then I saw where it had to be painted for uv reasons. Plus gluvit is transparent and no dark color will be achieved. This product seems to fix those problems. Thanks again.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You don't need self etching primer on a glass boat

KLDARMY

Cadet

That's what their product page recommends as their primer. It is another one of their products apparently.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Oh, you mean the SuperMarine Etching Primer. Gotcha!!!! My Bad. Yes that is exactly what you need. It's some really good stuff and you will be very pleased with the results. If you use the high density ultra fine foam rollers you can get a Spray like finish with it.