Painting over spar varnish?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Hey fellas, I doing floors/transom on an old tinny. I actually bit the bullet and got marine grade ply for the transom (transom is 1 3/4" and I found marine ply in 7/8"). Figured It would save time and produce a transom that I wont need to fool with for some years.

Anyways, I got 3/4" ACX for the floors. I was planning on going with the old timers formula and then a few coats of spar varnish. Question is, can I paint over the oil based spar with an oil based paint? I dont want carpet, nor do I want the look of natural wood. I also dont want to sink the money in for epoxy resin, although I know that would be a great option. Thanks for any advice!!

zool

Captain
You can, but there is no need to. You can varnish the underside of the deck to repel condensation, then just apply a thinned coat of the primer for the paint to act as a sealer, then prime again and paint it. As it wears away over time, just repaint as needed.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
You can, but there is no need to. You can varnish the underside of the deck to repel condensation, then just apply a thinned coat of the primer for the paint to act as a sealer, then prime again and paint it. As it wears away over time, just repaint as needed.

Thanks Zool!! What kind of primer/paint do you recommend for the topside of the deck?

zool

Captain
That depends on ur budget, Rustoleum or another Alkyd Enamel will work fine

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Thanks man. The only Alkyd that I have used is the Majics Implement paint mentioned here for painting aluminum boats. It is designed for metals, but being an alkyd base, do you think it will work on wood? Thanks!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, if you use Majic Paint with the hardener, it'll really wear well. It will adhere well and be very durable. I put 3 coats on my deck and it's still going strong. The edges of the plywood are the most important area to seal well with the OT. You can't soak em enuf!!! the flats are only about 1/16" think until you hit the first layer of resorcinol glue so not much to seal there. I'd use the KILZ oil base primer and thin it about 20%. Then sand it with 150 grit and then apply the Majic Paint. Your deck will be there for a decade or more with proper care and maintenance.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Yup, if you use Majic Paint with the hardener, it'll really wear well. It will adhere well and be very durable. I put 3 coats on my deck and it's still going strong. The edges of the plywood are the most important area to seal well with the OT. You can't soak em enuf!!! the flats are only about 1/16" think until you hit the first layer of resorcinol glue so not much to seal there. I'd use the KILZ oil base primer and thin it about 20%. Then sand it with 150 grit and then apply the Majic Paint. Your deck will be there for a decade or more with proper care and maintenance.

Thanks WOG!!

I actually used the Majics on another tinny a few years back. Three years and going strong!! Good find on that stuff brother. I still mix mine with a drill and put a coat on a tester to make sure it cures in a day. (I know you have addressed the issue with some of it being on the shelves too long). But I think if you test it out you cant go wrong for $30 a gallon!!

Looks like the red oxide primer is $31 and the gray primer is $50. I wonder what the difference is there.........

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I just cannot recommend the majic primer. If this is for your wood deck, I would recommend the Oil Based KILZ. The Red Oxide prime has a LOT of solids and you can spray directly over the rusty spots and it will stop the rust from progressing...In theory. Gray stuff is for Good Clean Metal. It'll work on fiberglass too

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Thanks for the replies WOG. I think I left out the fact that I am painting the whole boat while it is stripped down. I will surely take your recommendation for the oil based kilz primer for the wood. The majic primer is for the aluminum hull :joyous: