Painting issues... Splotchy! New here.

GpasBoat

Recruit
Hi,
Im new to this forum and Ive search a little but still unsure on how to answer my question.

I have a 1968 starcraft that was my grandfathers. I tore it down to the bone stripped it neutralizer the stripper power washed and towel dried. Now on the the paint. I bought a new spray gun (finishline 3) I have previous background experiance in spraying cabinets but I am extremely rusty. Dealing with my fair share of runs.

Anyways on to the question. I used all OMNI paint. I laid down the primer. went great. color... metallic blue... pretty good. I was saticfied. laid down first coat of clear. a few runs and a lot of orange peal. so... I wet sanded. Now when I went to go spray on the second coat of clear I get these odd dark blue splotches all over. What are my options? what did I do wrong? should I of never sanded? do I need to start from square one now? Im so frusterated. Im suppose to be going to the BWCA but at this rate I wont be taking a boat.... :confused: Heres some before and after pictures. Please help me and please say I can save this! 20120511224919.jpg20120513200713.jpg20120513200701.jpg20120513200642.jpg

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Painting issues... Splotchy! New here.

If you sanded into the metalic layer it can cause it to be blotchy, there's not much you can do but respray it.

fishrdan

Admiral

^^^ Yup, looks like you sanded down into the paint and scuffed the top off.

I would respray the affected sections with paint, then proceed forward with clear coating. I wouldn't try to spray over just the splotches as it would most likely be noticeable. Hopefully the area's are small enough so you can respray them, without respraying the entire boat...

I'm no pro with automotive paint, but have done a lot of wood. Anytime I sand a clear finish I make sure I have several coats down, so I have something to sand, without burning all the way through the clear. Really sucks when you go through the clear and into the underlying color layer, be it paint or stained wood....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

100% agree with all the above!!! ReShoot Paint and apply several layers of clear before sanding.

GpasBoat

Recruit

OK guys, Thanks for all the input.
I will be !sigh!.... respraying. now to prep the existing clear coat the base coat sheet says sand with 400 dry or 500 wet on old paint. does that sound right? Its not really "old" paint.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

There should be a re-coat time window in the directions, you need to wait a certain amount time before you respray, but if you wait too long then you need to wait even longer until it cures and you can sand it. This can be different for every brand and type of paint, so you need to read the info your stuff came with.