Painting inside of hull

spacemanpete

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 7, 2003
Messages
49
I'm restoring a steel hull river cruiser -- any tips on type of paint to use on the inside of the hull? I don't know if there is anything particular I should look out for. Also, it is quite rusty right now, so I'm in the middle of grinding it down . . . thanks.
 

rudeafrican

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Oct 29, 2002
Messages
225
Re: Painting inside of hull

I can't give you advice on what paint to use but I can tell you what color NOT to use. Do not paint the inside hull white. If you've spent 1 day on a boat with white inside hull you'll understand. The sun reflection was so bad, I thought I had arc eyes.
 

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Joined
Aug 20, 2001
Messages
4,163
Re: Painting inside of hull

I used gray on my interior, light enough to be pleasant, but dark enough to eliminate that whole welding arc effect....
 

spacemanpete

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 7, 2003
Messages
49
Re: Painting inside of hull

Hey, thanks for the info. POR-15 looks like the way to go, although a bit more than I wanted to spend. Color isn't a main concern, as it is a cruiser so the entire inside of the hull is covered by the cabin (atleast it will be when I put it back together). pd
 

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Joined
Aug 20, 2002
Messages
5,754
Re: Painting inside of hull

Spaceman... Por 15 is great stuff.... Type "coal tar epoxy" into a search engine like Google.. Lots of reading... Coal tar epoxy is good stuff and might just be the ticket for what yer doing, and maybe not as costly... :) <br /><br />Good luck
 
Top