Painting a boat trailer

Masonk3859

Cadet
I’ve just redone my old boat yet the trailer it’s on is in rough shape. It’s an older war eagle duck boat and I’m pretty certain it’s made of steel. I was going to grind all the old paint off of it and spray a new finish on it yet I have no idea of what paint to use. If you have any recommendations of what is the right paint to use that’d be great. I have a spray gun and a big compressor so I’d be able to spray just about anything. Thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If rust is an issue, I would recommend Rustolium Rusty Metal Primer. It is pretty good at sealing existing rust and preventing new rust. It is soft and thick and oil based. Not sure how it will spray up. Brushing makes sure you put a good thick coat on.

Spray some Rustolium enamel over it and I think it will hold up to fresh water use. For salt water use, I would lower my exectations.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I used the same stuff on my cast iron exhaust manifolds and it holds up well. Boat sits outside in cool damp winters and on a salt water mooring in summer…

matt167

Rear Admiral
Rust oleum with linseed oil mixed in is what my boss puts on his service truck frame every 3 years in the NY salt and it holds great. I’d use some rusty metal primer for sure though. For a gloss pro finish use hardener and reducer at 4:2:1 ratio. Mineral spirits works as a medium reducer or acetone as fast. Omit the linseed oil if spraying for a smooth gloss finish

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Mike, Why not use "Cold Galvanizing" spray paint? It works real well, and is very close in color to the original galvanized finish, so you do not have any spots.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Wire brush the rust. No need to go overboard. Paint it with Rustoleum Rust Reformer. Then prime with Rustoleum fish oil primer. Then topcoat with Rustoleum enamel.

I did that in 1986 and the trailer is rust free to this day, even with outdoor storage.

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
You can call someone who does dustless blasting and have the whole trailer stripped down to bare metal. The shoot on some new paint. Buy a case of rustoleum farm and implement paint primer and color top coat.

Masonk3859

Cadet
You can call someone who does dustless blasting and have the whole trailer stripped down to bare metal. The shoot on some new paint. Buy a case of rustoleum farm and implement paint primer and color top coat.
I was thinking about stripping the trailer down and doing this but those guys charge an arm and a leg for most of that stuff. I’ll probably end up sanding/grinding as much of that stuff off as I can on my own.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I've done many trailers by hittin' everywhere possible with a wire brush on my angle grinder, then a coat of Rustoleum rusty metal primer, followed by a coat or 2 with Rustoleum enamel color,......
It holds up very well,....

fitboyawesome

Recruit
I’ve just redone my old boat yet the trailer it’s on is in rough shape. It’s an older war eagle duck boat and I’m pretty certain it’s made of steel. I was going to grind all the old paint off of it and spray a new finish on it yet I have no idea of what paint to use. If you have any recommendations of what is the right paint to use that’d be great. I have a spray gun and a big compressor so I’d be able to spray just about anything. Thanks.
You can get terrific results tipping and rolling, but the boat needs to be properly prepared. Have you ever painted anything?

Which boat size? Do you intend to paint the topside, sides, and bottom?

Purchase excellent paint. I can't estimate that because I don't know the size of the boat.

A sander, sandpaper, scraper, foam rollers (foam can assist eliminate bubbles and require less tipping), brush, roller, paint tray, rags, acetone, soap, access to water, painters tape, and sometimes paper are required.

Do you need to patch up any holes and cracks? If so, you will require some filler and perhaps a tool like to a Dremel to assist in sanding the spots.

A wrench, sockets, and potentially allen keys and t-star screwdrivers are required.

Preparation is key. Consider just painting the transom and seeing how it turns out. If you work every day, it will probably take a week to complete. This is so that the paint can cure for about a day between coats. Sanding could take a day, taping another, and painting could take three days.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
You can get terrific results tipping and rolling, but the boat needs to be properly prepared. Have you ever painted anything?

Which boat size? Do you intend to paint the topside, sides, and bottom?

Purchase excellent paint. I can't estimate that because I don't know the size of the boat.

A sander, sandpaper, scraper, foam rollers (foam can assist eliminate bubbles and require less tipping), brush, roller, paint tray, rags, acetone, soap, access to water, painters tape, and sometimes paper are required.

Do you need to patch up any holes and cracks? If so, you will require some filler and perhaps a tool like to a Dremel to assist in sanding the spots.

A wrench, sockets, and potentially allen keys and t-star screwdrivers are required.

Preparation is key. Consider just painting the transom and seeing how it turns out. If you work every day, it will probably take a week to complete. This is so that the paint can cure for about a day between coats. Sanding could take a day, taping another, and painting could take three days.

He's painting the trailer, not the boat.