painting a 16' fiberglass boat

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: painting a 16' fiberglass boat

PIc's will becoming soon, Perfection is far different from brightsides.Right now im taking a break from the whole thing, this two part poly stuff is a bit beyond what i am willing to spend to get it right, spraying would be the best solution but tipping and rolling ....... there's a lot that can be done there. Perfection is a very high quality paint very.

mike jupiter

Cadet

alright, as is, here is my game plan... i am planning on putting a few coats of Cabela's insulation tuff coat on the inside of my boat this week. it'll deaden the sound, make it look nicer, etc... after that i plan on borrowing a belt sander and sanding down the outside of the boat. from there i plan on applying a gallon of primer, and one to two gallons of pettit's shipendec 2-spar dull dead grass paint.

everything look right?

one last question... for a fishing boat that is less than one inch thick in fiberglass what type of sandpaper would work best?

Scuda11

Chief Petty Officer

after that i plan on borrowing a belt sander and sanding down the outside of the boat.

I really hope you aren't serious about using a belt sander. If you are going to borrow a sander, my advice is a random orbital. Start heavy, gradually go lighter. It makes easy work out of it.

JasonB

Lieutenant

I'll second the RA sander. Too many curves in a glass boat for a belt sander. They are good for quick material removal. All you really want to do is scuff the top good. I have an inexpensive 5" Skill Orbital I got at Wal-Mart for less than $25. Lowe's and Home Depot carry the needed paper in bulk packs of 15 pieces or so for $7 or so.

mike jupiter

Cadet

hmm... it may not be a belt sander... but if it is i will second guess it. however, this boat has very little curves. it's a 16' fishing boat. nothing special. 1" thick (maybe)... it's pretty much a fiberglass rowboat.

mike jupiter

Cadet

anybody know of any good matte finishes as far as fiberglass paint?