Ozone Generators

PurpleDragon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Ozone Generators

Hey Schematic...<br /><br />I'm curious... Why would anyone build an ozone generator?<br /><br />Rex S.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Not me man. Hate the smell of ozone..It smells of burnt air.<br />But I have made wine in one of them things :)

PurpleDragon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Schematic... <br /><br />I did a google search on Ozone generators... You looking to make an air purifier? Or you "growing your own"? haha<br /><br />Yeah - I saw the price difference... but what's the purpose? Here in Dallas when we have too much Ozone, the gov't. takes money away from the state of Texas for having too much pollution. Soooo.. I'm still trying to figure out... *why* would you need an ozone generator?<br /><br />Rex S.

petryshyn

Commander

Hi Purple Dragon <br /><br />First off, ozone isn't really a pollutant. We'd be toast without it(supposedly). <br />My mobile home at the lake developes a mildew smell when left unused. The skirted area underneath smells of mold, even with good ventilation. Ozone is known to kill bacteria and mold (big causes of stink).<br />What sparked my interest is that hotels can turn a smoker's room into a non-smokers room in just a few hours. Many allergies and allergetic reactions people suffer from are supposedly reduced by sterilizing the area with ozone. Kind of an interesting device, but I'm not willing to spend hundreds just to find if it really works.......so I'll build one. Found an interesting article on how to build one using a mercury vapor lamp. So if I don't find a better way, guess I'll try it!<br /><br />What do ya think? :confused:

PurpleDragon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ah! I was wondering why 99% of the sites with the ozone generator plans were pot-growing sites! haha<br /><br />It makes sense. I'd wonder, though, what sort of price you can find on a merc. vapor light. The only ones that I can think of are street-lights. I'm actually looking for one right now - for an exposure unit for my screenprinting business. So far, the lighting supply places charge about $300 for the ballast/socket/bulb combo (for a 1000 Watt setup). (Let me know if you can fins such a light set for less!)<br /><br />Saw another site that proposed using a step-up transformer from a neon sign for the ozone generator.<br /><br />Rex S.

wippb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Mr Schem<br />Have you tried the Kitty litter and Epsom salts trick? It's supposed to attract all of those little nasties and keep them from growing. I put some in this fall when I closed up my trailer. I will know the results in a month or so when I go up to open up.

petryshyn

Commander

Hi wipper<br /><br />Do you have a cat with sore feet and diarrhea?....LOL<br />just kidding.....never heard of this, please explain?

evin300

Petty Officer 1st Class

Schematic, I really don't have any experience using ozone generators, but if you decide that buying one, is the way to go, I should be able to get you a good price, as I am in the HVAC business. Let me know if thats the way you want to go, and I will be glad to help.

wippb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mr Schem<br />Yes we have a cat. Doesn't walk with a limp and doesn't wear shoes when he goes outside. As for the other, never had the desire to go and look to see if that may be a problem either. LOL :D <br />As for putting it into the trailer on closeup, I went to a seminar last fall on closing up for the season, and the trailer tech guy recommended it. He said that it does a better job then say a box of arm and hammer in the fridge. Also said the crystals of epsom "grow" as they work. Most importantly he said it prevents the growth of mold and mildew in the trailer and that we wouldn't have that mildew "smell" when we open up. I don't know the science behind it but it was cheap and easy to put out, and no maintenace. Sounds like a cat right. LOL. I'll find out in a month or so how it worked and I'll let you know.<br /><br /> Wipper

petryshyn

Commander

Wipper, what do you do with the stuff? do you make up a mixture? do you leave it in a pan?

wippb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mr Schem<br />The procedure that was recommended was to get a large flat pan, I used a plastic one, and put a layer of litter on the bottom, about 1”- 2” thick. Next I bought the largest bag of Epsom salt that I could find at the local pharmacy. It’s the cheapest place to buy it. I then poured the entire bag in a layer on top of the litter to cover it. Just that simple. The whole chemistry project cost less then $10. When I opened up last spring that mould and mildew smell hung around for quite some time. I thought I would try this to see how it would work. Nothing to lose.

petryshyn

Commander

Wipper<br />I'll bet your analysis of "box of arm and hammer" is bang on. The litter and salt have a thurst for moisture which probably keeps the air relatively dry. This would reduce moisture loving mildew. It'll be interesting how you make out!<br /><br />Thanks :)

petryshyn

Commander

Yo Purple Dragon <br /> You are right, the merc vapor lamp assmy are expensive. Change of plans... I'm going to build one from an auto ignition coil.....<br /><br /> :)

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

schematic, have had a ozone air purifier in our home [its 100 years old this year] for several years....they definately help 'oxidise' the smells we humans find offensive....have an old cadillac i use in the summer...have set the unit inside overnight to get rid of that funky old car smell.....beleive we spent near $400 for the unit, thought it was exorbinant at the time, in hind sight I am still glad we bought it....

petryshyn

Commander

Hey ODDD1<br /><br />did it get rid of the smell in the car? If it did, how long did it last before it stunk again?<br /> :)