Overheating Volvo Penta I/O

devon.liljenquist

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 3, 2017
Messages
14
Hi all, so last weekend my 97 Glastron started over heating. I ended up idling back to the marina and later realizing that my impeller was bad. I replaced that and went out in the water only to realize that the exhaust hose had a hole in it as well. The boat ended up dying on me. I wasn’t able to get it started again. If I replace the exhaust hose do you think that will solve the problem? Can a bad exhaust system cause an engine to stall like that or do I possibly have other problems? Just worried about what kind of damage overheating the engine did. I think the exhaust hose has a hole because of the high temperature it was exposed to.

Thanks in advance!
 

alldodge

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 8, 2009
Messages
44,570
My opinion is your going to need to do some head work. It got so hot that it melted the exhaust boot. The motor would run even better without the exhaust connected, just the boat would burn up. So no, the exhaust has no issue for stalling or running

Start with a compression test
 

devon.liljenquist

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 3, 2017
Messages
14
Ugh. I was afraid of something like that. If that’s the problem how expensive of a repair am I looking at?
 

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
53,202
3.0, 4.3, 5.0.????? What do you ha e?

As for cost, depends if you do the work yourself or pay to get it done
 

devon.liljenquist

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 3, 2017
Messages
14
It’s a 3.0. I would likely hire it or because I’m not so sure how comfortable I am with all the work that goes into something like that. I’m comfortable replacing small things like a starter. But getting all the way down to the gasket heads might be a little above my pay grade.
 

alldodge

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 8, 2009
Messages
44,570
Being a 3.0 the parts and machining shouldn't be that much, maybe 200
The labor will be more
 
Top