Overheating...or not

mstng

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Overheating...or not

What's your temp do when you're cruising at 2500-3000 RPM?

In gear while cruising it would be hot....Over 200.

The drop in temp to normal I see is when reving in neutral as a change from idling through a no wake zone. But then again while cruising It is still 200+

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

In neutral, you have no load to deal with. Just like a car idling or reving in neutral, But, try going up hill in low gear at WOT and see if it overheats. It's the same thing.
I can think of any number of things being the problem. Air leaks between the drive and pivot housing, pinched off hose from drive to TS. Plugged elbow thru transom shield, Faulty seal or even a bad tube between the upper and lower unit, faulty raw water pump, loose hose clamp somewhere on the intake side. And the list goes on.
If it goes over 180? when at WOT under load, then something is wrong.
If it's over your head, then you can either start throwing parts at it and hope you find the problem, or take it to someone that understands the troubleshooting process. If boat repair was always easy as everyone thinks it is, I wouldn't have had a job for so many years.

chiefalen

Captain

Am i correct that you never yanked off the riser yet?

They last maybe 5-6 years tops in salt water.

That would be my next move sorry.

You have no water in the oil correct?

2003 motor that riser on the fringe.

It's used in salt water?

Fresh water a little longer the riser might last, 7 years?

When you do yank the riser look down the tube see anything in there?

A shoe a sock a big piece of something clogging you up. Don would know if they used flappers that year.

If yes break off and clog the exhaust. Thats why i dislike them so mush.

Ok for the price of a gasket you could yank off the engine mounted water pump.

If you do look at the vanes, any left, they should be brass, and it's just possible that something is clogging it. Not likely clogged but the vanes gone.

Would explain alot.

My friend installed a new water pump and the vanes were disconnected from the pulley, the pulley was turning the shaft but the vanes were not connected.

Drove us crazy till he went to get a beer, and after fighting with him i yanked it off when he was in the house.

Sure enough that was the problem.

Sorry you still got some more work to do.

Riser first, inspect it, replace it?

Run the motor on the water or yank the water pump also to rule it out.

mstng

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Don.

Obviously I don't think it is easy or I wouldn't be here. I appreciate you guys letting us amateurs participate. I think without either of us there wouldn't be much to this forum, perhaps just a place for experts to BS back and forth...It's the same in medicine. I have my physician forums in which I participate, but am active publicly as well, although in a different tone.

I asked this when I first arrived on this forum and never got an answer. With outboards I remember the prop spinning freely whereas with this engine, it takes effort to cause a revolution on the prop. In other words my finger must stay in touch with the prop the entire time to cause a revolution. I tried it today with the engine running in neutral and with a good bit of force I could cause one revolution.

Is this normal? Anyone care to answer

mstng

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks chief..

I guess I was just looking for something simple and routine, but you are correct in that it is 5 years old and probably not well maintained. Wish I could flip a switch like the Tach gauge.

I am going to go ahead and get a little more aggressive tomorrow and flush every available hose and then check the riser and pump if needed. From there I guess the manifold will be next.

Don S

Are you in salt water?

mstng

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, unfortunately.

Thanks for the list earlier.

Going to go over all the obvious (clamps, kinks, flush, impeller for the 3rd time, air intrusion), tomorrow and then start taking a look at the more catastrophic items...

Don S

Pull the riser and look at the water passages that are around the main exhaust passage. Don't touch it, take pictures of both sides and post them.

captmello

Captain

I appreciate you guys letting us amateurs participate.

On that note I'll chime in again. Professionals get paid. I just like the challenge and mental anguish.

I think your last thread ended at the risers as well. Seems like a pattern.

I think there is a plug on the bottom of the manifold for draining. You may just pull the plug and see if you get anything out. Chunks of rust, sand.

Without knowing anything about the previous owner/s, with all these odd issues, you may want to take it in this time as Don suggested. Let the shop figure it out. Or start throwing parts at it. Like ChiefAlen said those exhaust parts only last so many years, and he is a Pro.

Whatever you do let us know how it turns out. We can all learn something from your experience.:)

chiefalen

Captain

No,no.,no had to post it 3 times i'm no pro.

The real pros are Don s, i sometimes call him the master and he earned the oracle title. Bt Doctur-what Ed forgot i'll never learn.

Bondo, CaptJason, Gary from N.H, Oh the wielding King 45 Auto,the masked man from Australia on some vessel in the Bering sea or somewhere like that.
Eliminator, Mikdee,Macklin

Jeez so many others i don't belong in the same league.

mstng

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good morning fellows,

Under direct orders from Don I went ahead and removed the Riser. Thanks for the direction and insistence. The word riser has been mentioned repeatedly by several of you, yet I didn't want to believe it..

My untrained eye tells me this is not normal. Seems to have large amounts of sandy grease gunk with small amounts of rust. The center is clear though.

2 pics of the riser and 1 of the housing with gasket in place.

http://img224.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img7192wz7.jpg
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9481/img7198de5.jpg
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/5411/img7200la6.jpg
http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/5972/img7202hd6.jpg

Gasket question. Is this the correct orientation of the gasket? Part number 11 in this diagram is the gasket that was between the riser and the top of the housing. It shows in the diagram that is should be further down in the riser extension. You will notice that gasket #11 has only one side open. This will correlate when comparing the picture of the housing (pic7200) with the gasket in place covering 3 sides of the opening. Should the top gasket have all sides open and flowing?
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Exha...6252456--**********.367191544--view_id.313885

Where do I proceed from here. Clean or replace. Does this tell me anything about the manifold? I have a drain plug for the manifold so is flushing an option?

I owe you guys bigtime...

I have added another pic of the housing with the gasket superimposed.

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/466/img7210kz8.jpg

captmello

Captain

I don't know about you but I feel relieved. Its safe to say you've found your problem. I Don't have an answer regarding the gasket.

Don't touch it, take pictures of both sides and post them.

Thats what I'd do.

I think the question is whether or not you can clean out the mani and Riser or do you replace. Read up on removing the exhaust manifold and with any luck we'll hear from Don shortly. I'm going to watch some football.

Don S

That is a salt and rust mixture. I know you don't want to hear this, but you need a new manifold and riser.
Looks to me like it was run in salt water and NEVER flushed out by the previous owner. Then, after you run it, start flushing it with some Salt-Away each time you pull it out of the water. Then the manifolds should last you a lot longer than 5 years.

Bondo

Staff member

It's the same in medicine. I have my physician forums in which I participate, but am active publicly as well, although in a different tone.
In other words my finger must stay in touch with the prop the entire time to cause a revolution. I tried it today with the engine running in neutral and with a good bit of force I could cause one revolution.

Is this normal? Anyone care to answer

Ayuh,... You stuck your Hand on the propeller of a Running boat,..??..??

You're a Doctor,..??
You've probably repaired the damage to other people who've done something this Moronic.....

I haven't been following this thread because it's Volvo,+ I just Don't do Volvos....
So I can comment on the required pressure to hand spin the prop....
But,...
To even Try to Hand spin a prop on Anything that's Running,..??..??
Please don't Ever do that again....

My untrained eye tells me this is not normal. Seems to have large amounts of sandy grease gunk with small amounts of rust. The center is clear though.

Ayuh,.... I see a few Issues,...

I don't know what all the Goo is,...
But I wouldn't run that thing again til the manifold is removed,+ Fully Cleaned,+ Inspected....
Maybe Replaced.....
In the 3rd picture of your 4, I see water tracks down into the exhaust cavity of the manifold.....
That should be All Black,+ No brown....

Don S

I may have been a bit premature on calling that mainfold and riser plugged and junk. This is a newer one and it does have a restrictor plate in it.
One thing I would do is look at the outlet end of the riser and see if those holes are plugged up;

This is from the service manual on your engine.

2. Sandwich the restrictor plate between the two new gaskets. The
slot in the restrictor plate should be positioned inboard toward the
engine block. Place the gaskets and restrictor plate on the manifold.
Note! Disregard any stamped markings on the restrictor plate.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 0

mstng

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the help guys....I'll get back to you when I get the parts.

BTW, I was mistaken about that gasket thing. There was a gasket on the riser, the part I showed in the pics was the plate and it is oriented correctly.

mstng

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I spoke too soon. Thanks Don.

I'll take a better look.

mstng

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Going to clean it out and and see what I get out and send another pic in case you think it matters Don.

Don S

I would get the manifold and riser cleaned out as much as you can, put a couple of new riser gaskets on it and give it a try. Before you take it out, get some Salt Away and one of their mixing units and flush your engine a couple of times and see if it helps clear things out.