Overheated first time out....Help.......

Shawdaddy

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Overheated first time out....Help.......

Just ordered a Seloc Manual last nite Don...I have all the original manuals that came with the boat, but they really don't show me much in the way of repair..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When did I mention Seloc?????? You are just wasting your money there.<br />Like I said, get the OEM manuals if you want to fix it right.<br />Here are the 3 you need for your engine and their Volvo part numbers<br /><br />7797353 Engine Components<br />7743244 Electrical, Ignition, Fuel <br />7743245 Wiring Diagrams (Suppliment)<br /><br />If you plan on doing the maintenance on your drive, you will need 1 more.<br /><br />7743008 Drive manual

Shawdaddy

Seaman Apprentice

Opps...So where would you suggest I buy these from Don?<br /><br />Anybody wanna buy a Seloc Manual...hehe

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Keep the Seloc. each page is good for checking the dipstick at least once. Saves paper towels and rags which have far more value..<br /><br />M

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your local Volvo Penta dealer.

Shawdaddy

Seaman Apprentice

Don't have one close anymore. Got blown away by Hurricane Katrina :( . Only 3 marine shops left on the coast here and not 1 is a Volvo dealer :mad:

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Just looked up on Doug Russell the part numbers Don posted. Here is the pricing.. You probably won't find them cheaper at another dealer and as long as it's in stock they are really fast. If not it takes a couple more days.<br /><br />Volvo: 7797353 (Volvo) $18.45<br />Volvo: 7743008 (Volvo) $37.35<br />Volvo: 7743244 (Volvo) $37.35<br />Volvo: 7743245 (Volvo) $59.85

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Get the OE manual as others have said, I got the shop manual and the parts manual for my old 88 OMC and it helped tremendously, I had never worked on a sterndrive before this and was able to do tune ups, winterize, change impellers, etc, thankfully with no disasters! The tricky Cobra shift adjustment I leave to the pros in the shop though. Still the manual helps you understand how everything is supposed to work. <br />The Volvo thermo housing is just like the OMC Cobra style, (maybe even the same part #!!), you have to clean off the rust from around the rubber ring, them pry it out with a small screwdriver. Use the OE 160 thermostats. When you replace the gasket, coat the bolts with OMC gasket sealer, same with the gasket, that way next time you have to get it off it is not a problem. I have to change mine every 2 seasons because of salt water use.

Shawdaddy

Seaman Apprentice

*UPDATE*<br /><br />Thanks to you boat wizards. The new impeller is in and boat runs fine. Let it run for about 15 mins with the muffs and the temp gauge was in the middle of Hot and Cold. I kept checking the hoses and the ones that were supposed to be cold were and the warm ones was warm :D So I just want to say thanks guys.