Outdrive Oil Leak

NorthernBound

Recruit
First time poster!

Outdrive details:
1995 model year Volvo Penta SX Outdrive
Serial# 4112009159

A friend of mine just discovered that she has an oil leak from her Volvo Penta SX outdrive. The Oil is coming from the circled area of the attached picture, and is a milky greenish color, so I'm assuming there's also water getting in there somewhere. She says it also only leaks when the engine is running.

I has assumed it was a prop shaft seal until she sent me the photo. I live quite a ways away from her, so I can't actually go look at it in person.

Anyone have any guesses from this very limited information as to what or where it may be coming from?

The only boat repair place in her town told her that they aren't very familiar with inboard/outboard outdrives, and can't even fit her in to have a look at it until the middle of July.

Any info/guesses would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20230518_112845_01.jpg
    IMG_20230518_112845_01.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 9

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Based on the location I would guess a shifter seal is bad. Remove that plastic cover and you should be able to get a better view and confirm.

NorthernBound

Recruit
Based on the location I would guess a shifter seal is bad. Remove that plastic cover and you should be able to get a better view and confirm.
Thanks, I'll ask her to take it off and snap some pics for me. If this is the issue, is it something she can do herself? She's pretty good mechanically, but she's never worked on a boat before.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Along with the shifter assembly there is an oil vent/level plug that may be leaking due to a faulty o ring/seal

Remove the cover, it's three 3/8" hex head bolts. Inspect the shifter assy and plug areas for gear oil

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
I would also check the gear oil to determine there is water in the drive. (milky oil). Need to pull the lower drain pull and let a little dribble out to this.

NorthernBound

Recruit
Update: she sent me a new picture. I don't own one of these, so I have no idea what I'm looking at.

Attachments

• image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 5
  • image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 5

dubs283

Vice Admiral
If the green stain below the shift assembly is gear lube the seal has failed

Fairly quick/easy fix for most boat shops. DIYer can do it with proper service info/tools