Outdrive locked up!

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer
Background info: 1986 Alpha 1 drive, 140 4 banger.​

I have a strange problem and hope it is something simple. A few months ago, I removed my outdrive to install new bellows and the gimble bearing. It worked great prior to me taking it apart. I reassembled everything except I left the drive off (in the garage). Today, I aligned the engine and installed the drive (it went on with no problems). To my dismay, the engine would not turn over at all! I removed the drive and the engine is free again.​

The driveshaft will not turn at all. It goes into fwd, reverse and neutral just fine, but something seems jammed in this drive.​

What do you think might have happened? I have not taken off the top plate yet for a look since it was getting late and I will start out fresh in the morning. Could it be something simple or am I looking at a new drive?​

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Outdrive locked up!

Take the drive off and see if you can turn the input shaft. Be bold, try both directions.

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

I did that Don, and it will not move in either direction. I even used a pry bar between the u joint for leverage.​

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Then the drive is locked up. Drain the gear lube, what does it look like, what is on the magnet on the end of the drain plug.
You can also pull the top cap off the drive. Bet you will find the problem.

BTW, I stopped working on B52G's back in 67.

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

1967? I am sure they were pigs then too! I stopped working on Gs in 91 when they went to the boneyard, and just stopped working the H in Sept. when I retired. I guess I need to change my username.

I wil pull that top cap off and drain the oil in the AM. Thanks!​

JustJason

Vice Admiral

One more thing you can do if you haven't found the problem already is split the gearcase to try an isolate the issue to the upper or lower gearsets.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

It sounds like the drive was stored full of water instead of oil.

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

I took the top cover off today. Nothing showing wrong here. I drained the lube and found no water, and the lube seemed fine. I guess I will be tearing it apart later.​

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Outdrive locked up! Update and questions

UPDATE: I took it apart and found the lower pinion gear broken in half! This jammed up everything. I also found VERY worn roller bearings. As far as I see it, this drive is junk.​

Good news is I happen to find a 2 year old SE-106 on Craigslist for $325. I took the 60 mile trip and checked it out. Not only was it good, but it also came with a nice SS prop. It is also a 1.94:1 where mine is a 1.98:1, so it is close enough. But I do have a few questions:​

1. The prop on my old drive is a 14 1/2 R 17 and the new one is a Mercury Vengeance 48 16316 19P. Can I use this SS prop or should I just use the old one? Note: Engine is a 3.0 140 HP.​

2. After I installed the drive, I adjusted the cables per the manual. I was checking it with the engine off, and when I shift the throttle forward, the drive locks into gear fine. When I shift it to reverse, it doesn't fully engage (it clicks). If I move the cable a little more, it locks fine. Any suggestions?​

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,......
1,... Start with your old prop,.... 2" of SSteel is a pretty Big jump....

2,... Try it with the motor Running,+ adjust from there.....