Outboard stalls when put into forward after reverse first

tavacska

Petty Officer 1st Class
The engine is 1977 inline 1150.
The idle speed is 900-1000 no gear, 650-700 in forward. The carburetor is set according to the guidelines in this forum, 1/2 then 1/4 back turn from bogging down. Idling, hole short are all good. Compression is all good.

However, when I first put it into reverse and back a little hard, then put it into forward, it will choke and die. It happens sometime when I back and forth at the ramp.
The similar thing happens in the situation when I load the boat into trailer. If there is wind, wave and current at the ramp, the forward gear will stall more possibly.

It may be caused by the extra water load on the propeller in situations. My question is, is this normal for this 2-stroke motor? Anything I can do to tune it up?

Thanks.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Open the low speed mixture screws 1/8th turn at a time and see if stalling goes away.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
The idle number you posted is Merc's idea of a number that will keep the engine running when going from N to F but not be so fast such that you get a "klunk" when you do it. You already told us that the engine is running as it should so rule poor engine tune/performance out.
You are putting excessive load on the engine when you do what you do and it's not a normal maneuver. The resistance to the prop turning, caused by back water across it, makes it require more torque [HP = (torque x rpm)/5252] to develop forward thrust. So decide if you want to klunk every time you shift and spend time and money replacing components in your LU by upping your idle rpm, or quit backing up fast and slamming it in F!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A 2 stroke at idle will slow down slightly when put into gear.---Simply because prop now has to move water.-----If motor slows a lot or stalls then there are issues that need to be resolved.---Trouble shooting can find those issues.