Outboard pushing water over transon while planed out

LaneyAnne

Cadet
I have a 25hp Evinrude longshaft (1995) on a 14ft Mirrocraft and when I run at 3/4 to full throttle, water is coming up my transon somehow and pouring into the back of the boat. Not enough to sink me but very annoying! Cannot figure it out, anyone ever heard of such a thing? It has a hydrafoil on the cav plate which I tried removing, I tried changing the trim pin, and even raising the motor up higher. Nothing seems to help.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Outboard pushing water over transon while planed out

Welcome,more than likely you are running the long shaft motor (approximately20")on a short transom boat (approximately 15")If your handy you could build up the transom.The anti vent plate just above the prop should be at least even with the bottom of the transom. Most can be run about an inch higher.
So you can see your dragging up to 6" more motor through the water than necessary.Best way out is to replace boat or motor with the right size.Most boats with the 20" transom have a higher capacity boat for boat.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Send a few different pics from different angles of the motor in the down position. Make sure you get the cavitation plate and the extra fins. Jerry

Ram58

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a hydraulic jack plate on my motor and if I run it where the cavitation plate is below the bottom of the boat it will put water over the back of the boat. Sounds like you need to raise your motor or trade for a short shaft.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Buy a transom plate to raise engine 5" more, converts 15" to 20" transoms to suit your long shaft engine.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Transom Height Extender.JPG
    Transom Height Extender.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 0

LaneyAnne

Cadet

Wow, thanks to all who responded to my issue (Ram58, Steelespike, jerrryjerry05, and Sea Rider), I appreciate the help! Sounds like I got the wrong motor or the wrong boat. Will try the transom plate, or trade for a 25hp short shaft.

Regards,

Laney Anne

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Good luck,You might shoot for a different boat.For a big 14.I suspect yours is smaller type.I big 14 will feel like the queen mary,be more stable and carry more weight faster.

LaneyAnne

Cadet

Actually just spent the winter rebuilding mine from scratch. New paint, non skid, lights, wiring, rodholders, switches, Hummingbird, all stainless fasteners... the works. Traded the motor for my snowmobile and was excited to put the two together to make the ultimate river fishing machine. No way I am ditching either one now so I will try the transom plate. I also have a 27' Sportcraft so this is just a little tender/fisherman for close to home. The kids love it!

Thanks for the advice! Have a safe seaon!

Laney Anne

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Good Luck and be sure to let us all know how you make out.