Outboard alarm testing

Hennysemitara

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so i got my boat its wellcraft checkmate with a 1984 johnson 2 stroke 140. the warning alarm/buzzer does not work. how do i test it, and how do i fix it? would be great to know i got a alarm just incase.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
To test it, look for the temp sender on the port cylinder head and the tan wire going to it. Disconnect the connector, turn on the key and ground out the wire coming from the motor. If the horn is okay it will blow. If not, follow the wire back to the horn looking for bad connections and ect.

Hennysemitara

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thanks boobie! i melted my tan wire when my outboard overheated do they sell replacements?

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Its part of the wiring harness. Just trace the tan wire back until it is in good condition, remove the bad portion and splice in a new wire, the same gauge. Use a heat shrink butt connector and a good crimper. It will be good as new.

Hennysemitara

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Its part of the wiring harness. Just trace the tan wire back until it is in good condition, remove the bad portion and splice in a new wire, the same gauge. Use a heat shrink butt connector and a good crimper. It will be good as new.

the thing is the part that goes into the head is melted the rubber gromet

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
You mean the temperature switch. looks like this? Part number 0386686.Johnson-Evinrude-Temp-Switch-386686.JPG