our troubled childhood

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: our troubled childhood

In San Francisco we'd throw water ballons from the roof of the house down onto passing cars. The convertables were the best.<br /><br />We would catch crawdads in Stow lake in Golden Gate park, put them in a bag. On the bus ride home we would leave one or two on the seat for the next passenger. <br /><br />We would put rocks or pennies on the trolly car lines and watch them be smashed by the trolly. We would get free rides on our bikes by holding onto the back of the bus. Some kids without bikes would just hop on the rear bumper.<br /><br />We'd put firecrakers under tin cans and watch them fly. All pretty harmless compared to pipebombs, but we had fun.

oddjob

Commander

THIS is one of the funnyist threads I've read yet!.....and I havn't finished reading yet. stirring up a mess of memories.. :D

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, what memories....<br /><br />When I was a kid, I was "Evil Kinevel" with my bicycle. I would jump anything, anywhere, anytime, and crash 'n burn most of the time.<br /><br />Later when I was in high school, I partied all the time. I played guitar and had a rock band too. The most scariest experience was in my junior year, during lunchtime... We all went outside and hid in the lilac bushes and toked one up (if you know what I mean). When it came around to me, I took a few hits, then while holding the bong, I looked out the corner of my eye, and saw the gym teacher/baseball coach looking square at me! :eek: :eek: Surprisingly, he nodded, and walked away. ....And I was the starting center fielder on the school baseball team! How did I not get busted? I will never know...<br /><br />Butch A.

11 footer

Lieutenant

I love this thread, too. No question you'd get arrested for making a pipe bomb these days, firecrackers are againts the law in MA too, but we can manage to get our hands on them sometimes.<br /><br />Two friends and I cut the filter off a ciggerette, and stuck the fuse of a M-80 inside it, at three in the morning we put it under a neaghbors bedroom window and ran, the cig took a while to burn up and light the fuse, by the time we heard a BOOM we where half a mile away.<br /><br />Their was another time when four of us where playing baseball at a nearby park, we spotted a car parked at the back of the lot with both seats back, every once and a while we'd see a head pop up. My buddy takes a walk over to see what was going on, their where two female "partners" doing their thing, we all decided to watch, well the show lasted less them a minnett when they realized that where putting on a show for us, after a lot of yelling and swearing at us they drove away, but it was worth it. ;) <br /><br />When I was in 3ed grade my buddy dared me to drill a hole in a can of spray paint, it was in the gaurge when I did it.... it blew up in my face, red paint all over me, the wall and the gaurge roof.

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

this is awsome omg some of you gave me a great laugh...... and see we all turned out ok right

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

I hung out with a smarter group of troublemakers growing up. Sure, we drank, we broke things, we stole the car, we blew stuff up, but most of my group had IQ's over 120, so we were all smart enough to not get caught. <br /><br />We knew our parent's didn't memorize the mileage on the car, but they would know the gas level, so we filled it up before we returned it. <br /><br />We didn't steal the liquor from open bottle in the cabinet, a bottle from 3/4 full to 1/4 full is too obvious. So we just took a full bottle from the basement.<br /><br />The only time I really got caught was my senior year in high school. My girlfriend and I were "caught" in a compromising position in the counselor's office (the counselor was out that day ;) ). We ran out of the room, but our names were immediately called over the intercomm to the principle's office. That story still makes it's way around that school between the teachers, even after all these years :)

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

one of several good/funny stories from MY youth:<br />about 2 blocks away from my house was a genuine<br />"Hare Christna" commune in an old 4 story 1800's<br />house on main street. although we messed with them<br />on a reg. basis, 1 event stands out and still get's<br />a laugh when me and my cuz (2 houses down) get<br />together...<br />hot, v. humid july day and they had their side<br />window open. there was about six of us local<br />10yr. old punks and we somehow got our hands on<br />a couple packs of firecrackers. we somehow come<br />up with a plan to attack the "Hare House" LOL<br />NOTE:<br />nothin to do with religion, they were just chosen<br />that day ;) <br />so me, cuz and a few others sneak up and light/toss<br />2 packs of firecrackers through the open window on<br />the side of their house. escape was planned in<br />advance, 'cept the cheapo chinese fuse was much<br />faster than excpected. 5 outa 6 of us saw the sit.<br />and reacted fast and were long gone, but my cuz.<br />froze for some reason? we were at least a block <br />away before they gave chase, so we stopped and<br />taunted them for awhile. no way they would catch us.<br />then, from the side of their house comes cuz all<br />calm and cool. they stop him and ask; " do you know<br />who those kids are?" he says no and walks ahead.<br />about half way to us, he yells: "hey guys, wait up!" LOL

LadyFish

Admiral

Not trying to hijack this thread but on my way in to work this morning there was a horse and buggy parked in the right of way at the State Park about 3 miles from my house. This was in my local paper this a.m.<br /><br />Request drives ferry officials buggy<br /><br />By Nathan Smith <br />The Daily News<br /><br />Published June 11, 2004<br /><br />PORT BOLIVAR — The Port Bolivar ferry may have transported thousands to The Zoo over the years, but a trio of pilgrims discovered that the transportation service is strictly off-limits to animals. <br /><br />The three Hare Krsna pilgrims, known as Padayatro, arrived at the Port Bolivar ferry landing after traveling more than 2,000 miles from Pennsylvania on their way to Argentina.<br /><br />The trek has been no small feat, considering the three have made the journey thus far in a horse-drawn wagon. <br /><br />“Our journey is a sacrifice we do to glorify God,” said Avadhuta Siromani, who is making the arduous journey with his wife and another companion. “Most people can appreciate that.”<br /><br />The Texas Department of Transportation employees that manage the ferries, however, told the pilgrims they would not be able to travel on the ferry to Galveston because it was illegal to bring unconfined animals or animal-powered vehicles aboard.<br /><br />“This is a very rare situation, and I can’t recall any other instance like this in 17 years,” said ferry operations manager William Mallini. “We don’t want to cause anyone any inconvenience, but we do try to follow the letter and spirit of the law as closely as possible. Whoever created these rules were very thorough and thought through every potential situation, even this one.”<br /><br />Siromani said that the pilgrims had asked Texas Department of Transportation employees at the landing Wednesday night if it would be possible for special arrangements to be made, and that they were told they could be ferried across to Galveston by themselves on a ferry at 9 a.m. Thursday. When they arrived, however, they were told it would be impossible.<br /><br />Mallini said Thursday that the travelers had, in fact, been informed of the law on the previous night.<br /><br />No matter when the problem arose, though, the three were still stuck at the landing by Thursday evening. <br /><br />“Our only plan is just to wait for help,” said Siromani. “We have nothing but what is provided to us through the generosity and charity of others. If the Lord wills it, we will find the way to continue.”<br /><br />Just before dinnertime, the pilgrims’ path was made clear. The Galveston County Sheriff’s Office arrived with a borrowed livestock trailer to take the horses and their companions across the bay to the Oleander City.<br /><br />“The good thing is that we’re not in a hurry,” said Siromani, smiling. “Just getting all the way here from Pennsylvania has been a miracle. If the Lord wants us to get to Argentina, we will arrive there.”

KennyKenCan

Commander

Heres another thing we did, when I was a kid.<br /><br />We had a Military Acadamy called LaSalle Military Acadamy right near by, and during the spring and fall, while they were practicing marching on the parade feild, we use to put up string across the parade grounds, and wait for them to begin marching.<br /><br />As soon as enough of the Cadets where across our string, we'd pull them tight!<br /><br />The sight of 250 Cadets falling over with packs and rifles, is a sight I will never forget!<br /><br />And then the run through the woods, with the Cadets in hot pursuit, was also quite exhilarating!<br /><br />They never caught us, we knew the woods too well.

oddjob

Commander

One of the things we always did at night when we were bored was to take 8-track tape and scretch it across the road under a streetlight. The street made a 90 degree left turn just before the drivers would see the tape driving at slow speed. They would nearly always see it at or just before contact and lock up their tires.<br /><br />Another time, all the boys of the neighborhood went across a farmers pasture across the creek and small canyon to the newly contructed By-pass, loaded with boxes of waterballoons. It was nighttime. We set up on one of the man made cliffs above the Highway and began to throw at each and every car that came by. All of us (sp) missed every target, except "Philup" . Frustrated someone commented that Philup the "chicken" had not thrown any balloons as of yet so the pressure was on. Normally Phillup couldn't do anything right, but he did have chit- house-luck in a goofy way. . So the next car comes along and we all demand that Phillup fire by himself if he wants to be involved. Otherwise, he would probably tell on us as he had in the past. Just as the car was in range Phillup launched as did a few others...a nano sec. before launch we reconized that was a State Trooper and the warnings were too late. The trooper was doing about 55 and locked it up when the Phillups lob hit the front hood. We didnt wait around, we cussed Phillup split up and hauled...before we were halfway through the pasture there was 3 troopers in the launch area combing the pasture with search lights. They had most of pinned down afraid to move ...some guys finaly panicked jumped up and ran torwards home, the nearest small suburb across the creek. When the troopers drove after the runners we all got up and ran and then ducked the lights when they moved closer. Fortunatly we all made it to the creek and swam to safety. They patrooled they neighborhood heavily that night but they soon got over it..

oddjob

Commander

Another time I stole the family cruiser to go to a small party with two Calif. sisters out at some trailer park. Had a great time, left at 4am everyone asleep but me in the neighborhood. Was parked in a circle at the end of the steet. Facing the Sister's neighbor's trailer. When I put the car in reverse it would go forward. Over and over again. By the time I realized that there was a transmission problem I was 2' from the neighbors Mobile home. Panicky, I knocked on the door to ask an old couple if I could use their phone to call for help. They said no but the police will be here in a few minutes. Adrenlin set in and much like Popey, I put the 76'Malibu Classic 4dr in neutral, put one foot on the mobile home and pushed off with all I had,then dug in with every step until I cleared the yard and back in the circle. I weighed no more than 129 lbs. my senior year.. Turns out the car was just out of the shop and they made a mistake with reverse. Paralell parking it back was another challenge.. :D

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

I can't come close to what some of you have done. I thought it was a big deal to take a beer from the garage frig. or take a hit off of my parent's cigarette that was sitting in the ash tray. That was about the extent of my rebelliousness. My college days were when I sprouted my wings and flew. Lots of experiences then. Teen years I was a good girl. You all were some gutsy kids. Good reading here though. <br />Bassy

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Here is another one from my sneaking out to meet my girl friend. Something about hot summer nights and hot honey blondes. :p <br /><br />I got to her house as normal. Her bedroom had a door to the outside, which opened onto the roof of a flat roofed garage. The door had a skeleton lock, and I happened to have a skeleton key that worked in it. It had been raining a little on my way there, so everything was a little wet. I didn't think about the railing bars on the roof of this garage being wet and went falling back down, along with all the metal trash cans. It made such a noise that all the lights on this dead end street came on. I slid on the gravel driveway under her dads truck to hide. Foretunately no one came out to look around. Our night was ended with a kiss at the window, about an hour later when I thought it was safe to come back out.<br /><br />Wouldn't you know it. The next night she decides to come outside and play. We are going at it in the gravel driveway. A car was coming down the road, but I figured it was a neighbor. My girl friends house was the last driveway on a dead end road. Next thing I know I looking up at a set of headlights, saying what the hell!<br /><br />As we got up trying to cover up, they backed out and went back up the street. Apparently it was someone turning around after having made a wrong turn. We both laughed about our dumb luck the past two nights, and called it a night.

oddjob

Commander

I forget what its called, But we used to climb small trees on the side of mountain trails. these young trees had no branches yet and are 15-25 feet tall. It had to be just big enough to give when you just reached the top. Then hang on and enjoy the free ride back down and hope the tree dont break before you get down safe. If you land on the low/hill side all the better. The decline made your landing less bunt if the tree did break in mid swing. Anyone do this?

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Thermite around the base of our jr.highschool's flagpole. Cut it right down.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

Statute of Limitations-<br />are a good thing :rolleyes:

Hooty

Rear Admiral

M80 with cigarette time fuse inside empty milk carton inside lunch sack inside garbage can inside lunchroom inside highschool.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

Used to ride a bike across town(Minneapolis)approx. 10 miles in traffic with a fishing rod and small tackle box. Would fish at Lake of the Isle's and then return(rush hour) with cars whizzing by. Should of been run over many times but being 13 and not to bright somehow survived. <br /> When parents asked where I had been said was fishing at the river(Mississippi which was about 1 mile from the house).