our troubled childhood

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ok so this ebay posting got me to thinking. What did you all do when you were kids that today makes you shake your head, and did you get away with it<br /><br />For me it was launching arosol cans from bent coffee cans dug into the side of a hill. we would fill the bottom of the can with gas ( of course stolen form our dads) and light it. We would wait and see if they would launch. The vast majority did in fact launch but most just kinda exploded in the hill. We were eventually caught by the police and were dealt with by our parents. I of course to this day remain an inocent bystander now its your turn

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Re: our troubled childhood

My parents expected me to be a kid. We made pipe bombs and blew up things, Took the old mans boat without his knowledge, got in fights, drank beer, got arrested, "borrowed" the families car when everyone was asleep, took girls down to the boat after hours, polish cannons, got arrested for car to car egg combat so we developed "pudding bombs" and tried again, shot each other with bb guns, drove cars down sledding hills, filled our "friends" cars with dead fish.<br /><br />Parents never got too upset, but they would blow a gasket if I lied. Lying was worse than anything I ever did. I paid a high price for the things they caught me doing, but in their view, blowing things up are what kids do, lying was a charactor flaw and a permanent blemish that could lead to worse and actually more dangerous behavior. <br /><br />In reality my parents made out pretty good, work details (punishment) included a new roof on the house, countless wax jobs for boat, car repair, mowed lawns, removal of old and installation of new sidewalks on a corner lot (with caveman tools), attic insulation, tree removal, raking, and everything I destroyed I had to pay for out of my own pocket. I was accountable for everything I got caught doing.<br /><br />Kids today let their parents run interferance while they lie and refuse to accept responsibility. When caught their parents very rarely hold them accountable and blame everyone around except themselves and their kids. In hind sight I put my parents through 8-9 years of hell, but I think they look back at those days as kind of funny. Probably not at the time, but as the motives behind my malfeasons usually weren't from a deficeit of values just a lack of common sense, my parents probably never were all that worried.<br /><br />Beside's some of the things we did had to be kind of funny from the outside looking in. Pudding bombs............

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

My formative years were governed by David Letterman and his Five Story Tower. We had a bridge a few hundred feet up from a small river that proved to be fairly entertaining when throwing shopping carts, old tvs and stuff off. Rolled some bowling balls down a steep street hill one time, and amazingly they never touched a single car. We were not all that bright back then. Running along the tops of slow moving trains was fun until I ended up in the hospital trying to get off of a train that was speeding up. Not fun, and my shenanigans decreased dramatically after that one. There was plenty more we did, most of it stupid and painfull, but not malicious like what goes on today....

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I remember getting into my brothers .22 ammo and taking a box up to an old concrete slab and smashing them one by one with a hammer.<br /><br />No eye protection in those days.<br /><br />My kids read this sometimes, so I won't go into the more sordid chapters.....<br /><br /><br />Jinx

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by POINTER94:<br /> <br /><br />In hind sight I put my parents through 8-9 years of hell, but I think they look back at those days as kind of funny.
I've got 3 years left before I can start laughing. :eek: :eek: :eek: <br /><br /><br />Aldo

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Man what great ideas, I'll have to try some of them!<br /><br />We did the train thing way too much. We would hop it, throw rocks at it, and even laid under it once-that one time was enough for me. The little red light on the back was what always got me though. We could never bust it with rocks so we moved up to 22's. Yep, that did the trick. We would also put bare wire between the tracks so they connected. If you were close enough to the signal lights they would start changing colors and the arms going up and down. The end of the railroad days is whenever a freind hit an engineer with a paintcan and cut the guys head. Mega cops everywhere in po-dunkville. No more trains for me. Luckily I wasn't there that day.<br />Pipebombs- Man those were fun. Blew up lots and lots of stock ponds with them. BB guns shooting out street lights. Mailbox baseball. Taking trashcans from one street and moving them down to the next for like 7-8 blocks so nobody had the right ones. <br />Probably the all time greatest thrill which would hurt no one but our ignorant selves was surfing. My friend had a 72 4dr impala. This is one of the first cars with shoulder harness'es but you had to attatch them to the lap belt. We would throw the shoulder one out the rear window and surf on the trunk. It was a blast. Nothing like surfing at about 70 mph on a dirt road and jumping that baby. We decided to do it in town one night. We had lookouts posted everywhere and the cb's turned on to communicate. After about 5 minutes of coast clear we pulled out on the main drag on a Friday night. A cop immediately fell in behind us. So much for the lookouts huh. Whenever he stopped us he just simply asked "Tell me guys- Just what the !@#$%^ were you thinking?!!!!" No tickets, no calls to home, just a good old fashioned butt chewing. <br /><br />I sure miss being a kid.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

We would spray cars with water as they passed with a hidden valve/hose.<br /><br />Blew up stuff with gunpowder.<br /><br />Hung a coveralls/dummy head by a streetsign with catsup all over it.<br /><br />Rock fights (and scars to prove it).<br /><br />Go deep into the storm drain pipes.<br /><br />Ramp bikes at insane speeds (no helmets/pads etc, and scars to prove it).<br /><br />Later on:<br />Drive to beach, break into friends beachhouse at 3 am, then drive home.<br /><br />I never snuk out at night, cause all were light sleepers. Plus they traveled often enough that I didnt have to.<br /><br />I never did too much crazy stuff when older, cept street race my car. Occassionally drank. Had a few parties, with neighbors complaning the next day.<br /><br />I never got caught on any of that stuff. I took my time and picked the right times to do all my bad stuff so I never was caught.<br /><br />Ken

mike1234tampa

Seaman

Hung a coveralls/dummy head by a streetsign with catsup all over it <br /><br />Now thats funny<br /><br />Lets see, <br /><br />Drive dirt bikes down back roads wide open, no helmets<br /><br />Drank more before 21 than after 21<br /><br />Take M-80's, blow up mailboxes<br /><br />Party till the sun came up, that would kill me now<br /><br />Drink 3 cases of beer with 3 budies going accross long island sound before 10AM in a 16 ft boat, only to stop and buy 3 more case in long island, that day is very blury still<br /><br />Gone our the drinking days

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Don't remember being THAT much trouble before I started driving (which was at 15 in Louisiana in those days - way too early! Drinking was legal at 18, BTW.) Mid-seventies when family sedans had huge V-8's - played car chase with my friends all the time.<br /><br />Smuggled alcoholic beverages on band trips.<br /><br />Ever been awakened by one of those "Bridge Ahead" signs hitting your front bumper? I have. For the longest time I thought I had convinced my dad that some big green truck must have hit the car in the school parking lot.<br /><br />Hid a quarter-pound of contraband in the car once, Dad found it. Apart from being mad as I ever saw him, he was scared of getting arrested himself. Couldn't decide how to dispose of it. I suggested throwing it down the storm drain & he went for it. Retrieved it the next day. Lost driving privileges for quite some time (among other things which I don't quite remember now). <br /><br />Ever smashed a car into a light pole, walked home bleeding profusely from the head, then forgot where the car was? I was 19 home from college at the time, and that was a car I bought myself. No need for parental consequences that time, except the standard "if you want to keep living here don't show up drunk."<br /><br />The form of punishment didn't really matter; there wasn't any that would have persuaded me to change my behavior, but I think the fact that there was punishment made a difference eventually, if that makes any sense. When I matured enough, I came back around to the way I was brought up.<br /><br />How the heck I survived my first 20-something years is a real mystery to me!<br /><br />Thing is, you take a chance that some activity is worth the risk of getting caught. You get caught, you take the consequences. Kids not caring if they get caught = no respect for authority. That spells real trouble when you turn 18 (or 17).

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Uhhh.. No comment.. Not sure if the statute of limitations has run out yet.. :D <br /><br />Truthfully.. Pretty boaring here.. The usuall fireworks stuff, did'nt drink (still don't)... <br /><br />The absolute stupidist thing was putting a set of skateboard wheels on the bottom of a makeshift kneeboard(hydroslide), tying a ski rope to the trailer hitch of my friends car, and being towed riding the thing thru the winding road of a housing development... Can you say road rash?.... :eek:

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

2nd. or 3rd grade I whould drive my stingray type bike with my little brother on the back. It was a very dry summer and he had a pack of matches that he whould light and throw into the grass next to the sidewalk. We whould then turn around and play fireman by peeing on the fires. This was in the inner city.<br /> That same summer we got naked with our neighbor's daughter in our basement. I have always wondered were we learned what we practised that day? The three of us were in the basement and not a stitch on when mommy came home.<br /> I was contantly getting stitches untill around 6th grade. My parents have told me they were always worried that the nurses suspected them of abuse.<br /> I whould cut my dads shotgun shells in half and make bombs. <br /> Had a lot of fun during the car war period. 2-4 cars with 3-6 guys in each loaded with eggs and fire extinguishers filled with anything but water.<br /> Once made a catapault type weapon by using a board and log, looked like a teeter totter, worked good for lobbing stuff into the neighbors yard. The last time I used it I put a large rock on it and jumped off the fence, the rock hit me square in the face. I have no idea how long I was knocked out.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

I could write a book on this one Milo :eek: <br />tennis ball canons, hitchin' on bumpers in the<br />winter, hopping garage roofs, throwing chestnuts<br />at cop cars are a few that come to mind...

PDS

Petty Officer 1st Class

This subject brings back fond memories(and some painful ones). Back when I was groing up they didn't salt the heck out of the streets when it would snow and they waited until it stopped snowing. Well, we would hang around an intersection with a stopsign and when a car would stop we would sneak around to the back and hitch a ride(cheap skiing) I recall trying to hitch a mavirik or pinto and the car couldn't get going again so we let go.<br /> One winter after Christmas three friends of mine and I collected about 30 used Christmas trees and put them in the driveway of a friends brother, blocking his car in the garage and the side entrance to his house. The next morning I guess he has really unhappy. I stayed away for a few weeks.<br /> I recall using about 6 soda or beer cans, cutting both off both ends of cans except for one of them and after assembly shooting flaiming tennis balls. That was when cans were steel. <br /> But I also recall going to the ice rink unsupervised at night and my parents never worried about us. The good ole day!

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Guns were a big part of my youth, but nothing malicios or destructive. did a lot of reloding etc and that got me into expiermenting with and playing with powder. I really liked fire but always controlled it. When I got older I skipped school to hunt fish hang out on the beach or make money. Started driving before I was old enoufgh to have a licensce (in a truck I bought with my own money) And always had a tendancy to drive to fast. That resulted in a few arrest's for unpaid tickets but Always had the money to pay them "at the bench". As for the destructivness phase I got over that early when I was about 6 or 7 I shot every window out of the barn with a BB gun and had to replace them with hard earned cash. That was a lot of windows=money so I never had the desire to destroy property again. I was a poor thief also, I got caught by store security on the first item ever tried to steal a matchbox car. That cured me of taking things. Compared to some of the stories her I was pretty mild but still managed to have a ton of fun.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, where to begin. Of course the pipe bombs. We refaced a few local water falls with those.<br /><br />Then we moved to putting explosives into the tips of model rockets. Then we got an idea to use a heavy dutty paper roll, from the center of paper used in a news paper printer shop. We cut out an opening so we could use it for a rocket launcher.<br /><br />I use to sneak out all the time. One of the funniest was tying two bedsheets together to climb out my second story window. Mother and step father knew I was sneeking out and wanted to catch me, so they slept in the living room cutting me off of my exit. Well, as I got to the knot being in front of my face it came undone. I landed and rolled. They never woke up, so I went on about my business. As I was walking across the field I run into one of my best friends who is out using his telescope. He says nice landing as he is chuckling, and then tells me to say hello to Kim.<br /><br />Another time we almost got our butts kicked by the local drug dealers. They were sitting around a fire in the woods getting stoned. We had snuck up and were going to set fireworks off behind them. Well, I dropped some that somehow did a bounce and landed in the fire. We ran like hell from there.

KennyKenCan

Commander

My Dad worked in construction, and always was bringing some sort of materials home with him.<br /><br />Well, once, he brought home these stainless steel pipes about 8" long, and threaded on each end, with these caps on them.<br /><br />My brother, and myself, along with a few freinds, started thinkin', what if we fill these pipes with the triple X black powder my Dad always kept around for his muzzleloading shotgun, which he never used, so we figured he wouldn't miss the powder, and began building these pipe bombs.<br /><br />Well, after finding enough firecracker fuses, and tieing them together, to give us enough time to throw them, we assembled 10, so we finally went to the marshes to see what would happen.<br /><br />My brother lit the first one and threw it, and we all ran like heck, when suddenly...BOOOOOM !!<br /><br />Next thing we knew, we were being covered with marsh debris, so we all got up, being we were blown off our feet, to survey the damage.<br /><br />What was left was a 40' diameter crater!<br /><br />Next thing we hear, is the police sirens, getting closer, so we all ran, but not away, we ran directly to the cops!<br /><br />When they arrived, they immediatly asked us what happened, and then we began...<br /><br />"Man, you should have been here! Man, the marsh just blew up, don't know why, but man, you should have been there. There was stuff flying around, and the bang, man, you should have been here!"<br /><br />Anyway, the cop's never suspected us, and we never heard anymore about it!<br /><br />Upon returning home, we quickly disassembled them remaining pipes, and never tryed a stunt like that again.<br /><br />To this day, that crater remains in the marshes!

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I got interupted during my lunch here. I wanted to share one more where someone tried to run me over with thier car.<br /><br />Myself and two other friends were out driving and were bored. We had picked up some girl of one of my friends. They were making out in the back seat when we came to this campus parking lot, near where we lived. Well there was a car parked there in the parking lot with steamed up windows. We had our gear with us from having been working katas earlier, so we parked nearby and suited up. The one friend with the girl offered to stay behind and look after our car, or course. Well, we snuck up along the wood line. I crepted up to the car, a station wagon (bed on wheels). Tried to look into the window but it was steamed up pretty good. I wanted to make sure I wasn't interupting someone I knew. Well I went back to the wood line and knocked a bolt into the blowgun, and it misfired by falling out. So, we threw some trash that was nearby. Our cover was of course blown at this point, but no one moved in the car. So I tried the blow gun again and WHAM, it stuck in the back door. I then heard the engine as I ducked into the tall weeds. However, I didn't hear the car driving off. I knew he was still somewhere in the parking lot. So I slowly stick my head up to have a look. That's when I hear the engine and carbs kick in, and it doesn't take rocket science to know he was coming right at me. I droped and rolled back wards.<br /><br />Oh yea I forgot to mention that this campus was on a hill. This parking lot was right at the edge of a rather large drop off down into the rocky below. Fortunately I grabbed a tree before the final drop off and my feet dangled in the blackness below me. I raised my feet up to the tree and caught it. I was then hanging by one arm and two legs, and the blow gun was still in my right hand. Then it hit me. The car had just stopped short of maybe a fraction of an inch from coming over after me. I knocked another bolt in the blow gun just in case this rather ticked off person had a gun. Instead he slowly backed out and I could hear him driving off. I used my shoge to latch onto another tree further up, and then pulled myself up out of there. My friend thought I was a goner, but he said I should have seen the look on the drivers face as he realized he damn near went off a cliff.<br /><br />That was another close for me.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Ya know, if you make pipe bombs nowdays they lock you up.<br /><br />The things we did back then, nowdays gets kids arrested.<br /><br />Sometimes I wonder if this world is too strict.<br /><br />Ken

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I knew a kid in school who didn't know what vaselene was for during the making process. He lost all the fingers on one hand, and took damage in other places. He lived thank god, but he was a lot different afterwards.