Orkney 590tt

Morr2023

Recruit
Hi all.
I am looking for some advice
I have an Orkney 590tt. It currently has a Yamaha 50 fitted but it’s passed saving now. I have been looking over the past few months for a 50/60 outboard but nothing has come along. A friend has a Honda 40hp, which is one year old, but I’m worried that it will be underpowered for the boat, does anyone else have experience with a 40?
Thanks for your time

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi all.
I am looking for some advice
I have an Orkney 590tt. It currently has a Yamaha 50 fitted but it’s passed saving now. I have been looking over the past few months for a 50/60 outboard but nothing has come along. A friend has a Honda 40hp, which is one year old, but I’m worried that it will be underpowered for the boat, does anyone else have experience with a 40?
Thanks for your time
Hi. Big fan of an Orkney boat. All I’d suggest is that these boats, although they will technically plane, aren’t built like most planing boats. They tend to hit a wall of certain speed, no matter what engine they have on them really. You won’t notice much difference in top end speed I’d say. That said, the bigger power you have, the easier she’ll get going. I’d consider the weight of the engines you are comparing too. Lighter the better on the back of these I’d think. Certainly, that’s the case for the smaller semi planing versions at least.