Organizing Pictures

eeboater

Commander
I need to know how you guys organizing your digital camera pictures. I just combined my collection into one folder with a final total number of 3500 photos. I now get to wade through them to sort them out, just curious, do you guys use any kind of program or application to sort your images?<br /><br />Sean

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Organizing Pictures

When I download off the digital, I always put them in their own folder, ie: boat folder, fish folder, etc.<br />Works for me.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

We have a pictures folder that we keep some on the computer, and in that are folders telling the occasion (ie.. Vacation...Graduation..etc.)<br /><br />I always burn them onto a CD as soon as I download, and then the wife pulls pictures off those as she tires of what is on the computer.

ndemge

Commander

Folder folders and more folders....<br /><br />Basic category, then date with discription<br /><br />ex:...<br />Kids/ajbday9-19-04<br />lake/marktwain/beach5-5-03<br />lake/tablerock/honeymoon/doogwoodcanyon<br /><br />also...... back up to cd OFTEN<br /><br />My picture folder now takes 3 cd's to backup, only takes a few minutes to do<br /><br />Then I take the cd's to work. If my house burns down, I may lose my stuff, but I'll still have my pictures. <br /><br />Just got a dvdr so I can start using 1 disk for the backups.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

One of the things I really like about digital photography is the ability to file them in easily identifiable folders as SBN, the Capt, and ndemge have said. I can actually find stuff now - no more shoe boxes for me. :cool:

spratt

Lieutenant

The software that came with our camera has an option to set up and download into a folder dated the date of hhe download, ie, C:\My Pictures\01-25-2004\ and that was an option I chose when installing the picture. I also have it delete the pics fromt eh camerea as it downloads them into the PC. I have a 200GB Hard Drive so it hasn't become an issue yet for space, but when it does, I will just burn them off onto DVD's and label them appropriately. We have an HP digital camera.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Kodak Easy share software that came with my camera aids in this greatly! ... as soon I have a good amount on the puter I download to disc and empty the program..<br /><br />its easy as pi.r.squared

eeboater

Commander

I am thinking I'm going to have to just organize them by folder similar to how you guys are doing it. Ugh... I have a long process ahead of me. That'll teach me to not be organized from the beginning.<br /><br />Sean

aspeck

Staff member

Many folders here, as others have said. <br />Vacations\Dates-location<br />Events\Dates-type<br />Family\Dates-What<br />etc.<br /><br />I also name each picture - they get a number for sequence in the folder, then date, then description<br /><br />ie, Vacations\08 Poconos\039 Boone & Elizabeth in Condo<br /><br />Takes a little time (but I do it as soon as I download the pictures so I don't get behind), but others can look at them and know what is happening -especially when emailing to family and friends.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You might want to try Googles Picasa photo managment software.<br />It's free.It will organize by date and a lot of other stuff.<br /> http://www.picasa.com/

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Nope...rarely sort them, and only "organize" family pics.<br />But I do rename the hell outta them, giving them a name that somewhat describes them.

spratt

Lieutenant

Yeah, it would be nice to have a camera that could just give them a nice little name like, Steve's granddaughter int eh snow, rather than 014678.jpg.....to it's credit, though, iot DOES put them in a chronoligal numerical order as it downloads them to the PC...then to have them by date and in number order is a help...I only rename them when I am going to use them for some other purpose, like making a screensaver, and I want the pics in a specific order.<br /><br /><br />Thanks, Fixin!! I think I will take a look at that software!!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I rename them in order. EX; A series of original names it asigns like, 00001.jpg, 00002.jpg,00003.jpg, are renemd to "Chloesbday1.jpg", "Chloesbday2.jpg" etc.....GOBs of those on my hd! :)

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> When I download off the digital, I always put them in their own folder, ie: boat folder, fish folder, etc.<br />Works for me.
My method is similar. I put related stuff in a folder that I name with the date and a word that will describe the contents. For example "122504 Xmaspix" or "071404 Vacation". That combination of info really helps narrow down the search when you have tons of CD's/folders to wade thru if you're looking for certain photos. <br /><br />You can further break it down and put subfolders under the main one. Then when I burn them to a CD, I use a fine-tip marker to list the folders on the CD. If there is a certain photo you might want to use often or be accessible quickly, put it in its own folder and name it, like "012505 UncleJoe".<br /><br />Whatever works best for your type of photography... ;) <br /><br />Edit: Another tip I've found invaluable-If you use Photoshop or the like to touch up or modify your pics, when renaming with "Save As", I always keep the original file unmodified, but when I rename the adjusted photo, I keep the original image number from the camera as part of the name. That way you can easily match up the touched up photo to its original file in the future eg. "reunion2002adj-562.jpg".

ndemge

Commander

FLATBOTTOMS<br /><br />...your statement scares me.... your going to wait until you've filled a 200 gb hd before you backup your pictures? !!! AHHHH!!!<br /><br />Hard drives like to crash most the day before you plan to finaly backup....

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I was just playing with Googles Picasa .You can organize by name,date or size.If you haven't tried this software,check it out.I haven't seen anything easyer to organize with.<br /> http://www.picasa.com/

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by ndemge:<br /> FLATBOTTOMS<br /><br />...your statement scares me.... your going to wait until you've filled a 200 gb hd before you backup your pictures? !!! AHHHH!!!<br /><br />Hard drives like to crash most the day before you plan to finaly backup....
No way!!! Beleive me, I preach backup more than most!!!!! What I mean is that I have plenty of space, but once in a while I take a look at teh My Pictures folder, and if it gets to be enough to run off onto a DVD (4GB) then I do so. Know how much of that HD I utilize?? About 15 Gigs!! I got it beacuse it was only $69 after a rebate, a $20 off coupon, and another $30 off sale at Office Depot. In fact, I bought 2!! I use one as an external, and store CD images on for all my applications. That way, I don't have to copy CD's, I just burn the images onto CD's...plus, I use it to do work on other people's PC's, and have utilities on it plus can do backups. I haven't run across anyone yet who uses more than abotu 25 Gigs, unless they store a lot of pics and stuff on their hd...<br /><br />Didn't mean to get ya worried, but thanks for the concern :D I work in IT, and have for over 15 years...I know the dangers of no backups...

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do you have to have something special to back it up to cd?<br />How many cds would it take to back up a 80G HD?

spratt

Lieutenant

Prof, check my answers here!!!<br /><br />CD can hold about 600 Megabytes...one DVD can hold 4.7 Gigabytes.<br />One Megabyte = 1024 Kilobytes.<br />One Kilobyte = 1024 Bytes.<br /><br />OOPS, sorry, didn't mean to get numerical:)<br /><br />Actually, here is the answer:<br /><br />80,000,000,000 divided by 600,000,000 = approximately 133 CD's. IF you actually have a FULL 80 Gig HD...<br /><br />Now, if you want to back up to DVD, it would take only approximately 17 disks.<br /><br />I use Roxio Media Creator 7 to do all my disk copies, backups, dvd stuff, etc...except the DVD's that are copy protected and I have to use a different software to make copies, er, backups of them.