Options for adding floatation to 13' aluminum dinghy/rowboat?

wxkl

Cadet
Hello, all!
I recently picked up a 13' just bare aluminum dinghy/rowboat thing.... very basic, no frills, just a hull and some bench seats.
I'm looking to add some floatation to this little guy on the off chance it get swamped or otherwise sinks. It would be a real hassle if it ended up on the bottom of the lake or whatever if there was something easy I could do to prevent this!
I'm open to suggestions, but my first thought was to add something under the seats. It's got 3 bench seats, but they're not the kind of bench seats that are just flat planks—they're the kind where they're like big boxes, but the bottom is open so they're hollow and the space is easily accessible. Kind of like these: https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/dinghy-on-the-sand-gm588605992-101090617

I was thinking about just like... spraying some Great Stuff or other expanding foam into the space underneath the seats. Is that enough to keep it from sinking? Or is there a better option? Tying those inflatable fenders to the bow & stern, or something? I really have no idea how to add floatation, but anything I can do to help this boat not sink if something goes wrong, I'd like to do!

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Check and see if there is foam in there already . Had a 12 ft aluminum boat as a kid it had same type of seats with foam in them. You couldn’t sink the thing, and we tried…

otherwise use some type of expand foam to fill

wxkl

Cadet
Check and see if there is foam in there already . Had a 12 ft aluminum boat as a kid it had same type of seats with foam in them. You couldn’t sink the thing, and we tried…

otherwise use some type of expand foam to fill

thanks. No foam in there as of now. You think that just three seats with expanding foam (Great Stuff or similar) is enough to keep a 13' dinghy afloat basically no matter what? If I just fill to the bottom of the seat and then shave off the excess foam so it's flush? Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Turn boat upside down on saw bucks, pour a bit of 2# foam in each seat, wait 30 minutes, then flip back over and go boating

jbcurt00

Staff member
No great stuff or pool noodles

Rigid foam insulation XPS Blue/Green/Pink from a big box store