opinions on keel needed.

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a question about my Keel this is an older photo before I sanded the rest of the bottom.

Notice how the keel stops about two foot from the back of the boat?

Untitled.jpg

Notice on the inside it looks as if the grove for the stringer that ran down the keel has been filled in.

PICT0001-2.jpg

Does this look normal or do you think someone has fixed the keel after it was broken off?

What is normal for a boat? To have the keel go all the way to the transom?

If it should be put back on I want to do it when I get back to working on the bottom of the boat.

P.S. pay no attention to the dust it is not really there as this photo was taken a few weeks ago or so.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: opinions on keel needed.

Looks normal, many don't run all the way to the transom.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

ours is simular, it ends about 2 ft from the transom..., i would say that its pretty normal

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if your loooking for an opinion rick......its a non-issue....carry on :)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

very normal. this one is like yours. notice the Tasha prints in the fresh paint.

rustoleumjob001.jpg

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks

Thanks

Thanks a whole lot guys! That makes me feel a lot better about it, I was thinking that it might have been more of the wear and tear on the boat. Pushing ahead!
Rick

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

very normal. this one is like yours. notice the Tasha prints in the fresh paint.

rustoleumjob001.jpg

MAN I never seen cat fish prints that big!
:eek:

What bait did you use to bring that in? Do you have a photo of it? What lake were you at? :confused:

I?m thinking one of the Great Lakes around Michigan, that is the only place I know of that the walking cat fish can grow that big. But I?ll tell you I never knew they were able to walk up side down. :D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

LOL. rick, look at my avatar.

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is a photo of my two dog fish.

Barney-Brenda-1.jpg

Barney Bear & Brenda Sue

They won?t fit into my avatar.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I have a question about my Keel....Notice how the keel stops about two foot from the back of the boat? ...What is normal for a boat? To have the keel go all the way to the transom?

When I was much younger, I couldn't afford a boat, so I thought I would build one from scratch, and did a lot of research. Then I realized how much that cost, and in spite of the obvious desirable satisfaction factor, bought one.

That was 20 years ago, but if I remember correctly from all those books, the keel/spine cuts short so that the boat can maneuver well at speed, since with an outboard you are "skating" the hull a little bit when turning.

Secondly, hull efficiency is reduced when near or on plane if the aft of the boat has steps, obstructions, and other interruptions to fluid movement off the transom. I do not claim to know the math but there is a beautiful mental logic to flow and "fair-ness" as the hull transitions from planing/displacing to where the water returns to its non-displaced state. Bass boats use this principle with a flat "spot" aft which is about the only thing in the water at full plane.

Now you know everything I know about it which still isn't much :)