Opinion on this motor operation

robinfla52

Cadet
Motor was inactive for 3 months, but was drained for winterizing by previous owner. Would not idle at first but I have been shock cleaning with Seafoam and used Mechanic In A Bottle first. This is how it runs now and have it idling for 1/2 hour with no problems. Also throttle up and down manually with no stalling at all. Do you think I need to remove carbs and clean or just run it first for a few times? See video on YouTube

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Have yet to met a 2 stroke that wasn’t “cranky” after sitting any length of time.

If the motor was sitting for three months, did you at least drain the carbs before trying to start?

The fuel evaporates leaving nothing but a bowl of 2 stroke oil to run on.

Fill with fresh fuel and run

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You can guess about the carburetors all day long.-----Post the compression values.----Check for strong spark on all leads.----Get the motor in the normal running position and test run.-----Or put it on a boat and launch to get a better idea.----They run different with back pressure.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yep hard to tell sitting on a stand with muffs. Fresh fuel, a little seafoam, put a prop on it, and an actual sea trial will tell you more, much more.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
You’ll never know until it’s under load on the back of something that floats, to be fair. I’ve made the mistake of not properly cleaning carbs and hoping for the best on a day out…lesson learned the hard way a few times 😂