Open Bow to Center Console resto-mod…

ryanp1227

Seaman
I have a 1971 Glastron V-176 Swinger that I plan on converting to a center console for fishing. Would love to see pics of similarly styled tri-hull, 16’-18’, completed projects

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You probably won't find anyone that has done a similar conversion

Most are trying to forget trihulls

ryanp1227

Seaman
You probably won't find anyone that has done a similar conversion

Most are trying to forget trihulls
Yeah they pound, but the stability is unmatched for what it is. Im in northeast Ohio, and there are a bunch of inland lakes that it is perfect for. Even Lake Erie on a calm day. For storage and fishability, going with a center console seems best.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yeah they pound, but the stability is unmatched for what it is. Im in northeast Ohio, and there are a bunch of inland lakes that it is perfect for. Even Lake Erie on a calm day. For storage and fishability, going with a center console seems best.
It's your boat.

However for what you will need to put into the boat, you can buy a 24 foot aluminum boat set up for fishing

ryanp1227

Seaman
It's your boat.

However for what you will need to put into the boat, you can buy a 24 foot aluminum boat set up for fishing
I have a 20’ Mckee Craft that I use offshore. Its great. This is just a hobby for me. I like to make things new again. I know I could go buy such-and-such, but Im more interested in modding.

zool

Captain
Heres a short thread of a tri hull cc, what one might look like.

1675636969959.png

https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/1973-tri-hull-center-console-rebuild.18246/

The stringers, transom and deck repair would be similar to most runabout rebuilds. The problems you may run into is when you remove the drivers side and passenger side consoles, which are molded to the cap and provide lateral support for the gunnels. You would probably have to do significant cosmetic glass work after cutting out the consoles and front seating. Braces along the hull sides, doubling as rod holders might do the trick there.