Oops Peanut Butter

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is this the same stuff as Oops's glass bubbles for making his Peanut Butter?

Phenolic Micro Balloons Fairing Filler
31SNWYZTFVL._AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Phenolic-Micro-Balloons-Fairing-Filler/dp/B001448P9Y/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&m=A1UT7JC2Z2ZP5&s=sporting-goods&qid=1228608295&sr=1-17

Here is a fast discription
Product Description
Product Description
For use when low density, light weight sandable paint ready surfaces are required.(organic phenolic hollow spheres)
Application: fairing and filling

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Oops Peanut Butter

yes.........but beware.....there is no such thing as an easy sanding epoxy.

drewpster

Commander

Ditto that! I used a combo of micro balloons and silica (from Mas) to make the fairing compound on my main deck. It took several weekends with aggressive grits to finally get it smooth. If you want easier sanding, stay away from silica or use small amounts. (the silica or "cabosil" is used to help make the stuff smoother and more spreadable) I hear balloons alone are easier to sand.

080106029.jpg

Crazy right? One good thing is that once the sanding is done the stuff gets baby butt smooth. Like sanded sheetrock mud...slick.

Stoutcat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My .02$...

The fillers used with epoxy fall into two groups... High density vs. low density... That is strong vs. not so strong (or miserable to sand vs. not so miserable to sand).

The bottom line is that a micro balloon filler is good for fairing or smoothing out a solid surface. It isn't the best for structural purposes.

For brute strength (bonding and filleting) a colloidal or high-density filler is called for.

As for epoxy consistency... Wood boat folks break it down into three categories... Unthickened, "catchup" and "peanut butter" and each consistency has its own purpose depending on the filler used. Google can offer a ton of info on all this.

Alan

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Guys!

Good information and what i was looking for. Thanks for the photo and the coment added it helps to see what we are talking about.

jonesg

Admiral

Ditto that! I used a combo of micro balloons and silica (from Mas) to make the fairing compound on my main deck. It took several weekends with aggressive grits to finally get it smooth. If you want easier sanding, stay away from silica or use small amounts. (the silica or "cabosil" is used to help make the stuff smoother and more spreadable) I hear balloons alone are easier to sand.

bow areas like that are better dealt with by laying up a flat panel on a waxed layup table, pop it loose and you have an almost perfect finished surface.
Much simpler and quicker.

bzajdek

Seaman

I checked out the extension thread on page 84 but what ratios do you use, is that confidential? I would like an exact recipe if its not too much to ask.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I checked out the extension thread on page 84 but what ratios do you use, is that confidential? I would like an exact recipe if its not too much to ask.

heh heh heh.....man....oops super duper peanut butter is just a name my crazy personality came up with...:D its not that complicated.

just take equal amounts of cabosil and micro baloons...(glass bubbles)....wear your resporator and stir the stuff togeather.......then add some resin.......stir it......(i suggest to use the mixer in the hull thread)
if its too wet.....just add glass bubbles......if its too dry....add resin.......when you get it to the desired consistancy.........you can do two things.

1. add the mekp and go for it.

2. if the peanut butter you need is structural.....add some milled fibers ....milled fibers are chopped strand that is under a 1/4 inch in legnth....just dump some in .....eye ball it.....make sure there is enough for the job you are doing........them mix it some more.........the longer tou mix it the better.

when you are ready to apply it....add the mekp......and mix some more.

any peanut butter that is un catylised can be stored and used later.....but remember....as soon as the mekp is added....the clock is ticking

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It would be difficult to give an exact formula because every resin will be a little different and may require more or less filler. When you make the first batch measure how much of each filler is used and use that for a guide. By changing the ratio of each filler you can adjust the consistancy and strength for the application you have in mind.

drewpster

Commander

heh heh heh.....man....oops super duper peanut butter is just a name my crazy personality came up with...:D its not that complicated.

just take equal amounts of cabosil and micro baloons...(glass bubbles)....wear your resporator and stir the stuff togeather.......then add some resin.......stir it......(i suggest to use the mixer in the hull thread)
if its too wet.....just add glass bubbles......if its too dry....add resin.......when you get it to the desired consistancy.........you can do two things.

1. add the mekp and go for it. when you are ready to apply it....add the mekp......and mix some more.

Do you base the amount of mekp used to kick the mix on the amount of resin in the pb, or the total volume of mixed pb in the pot?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

resiin drewp

btw....hope you had a great christmas :)

drewpster

Commander

Geez, its been too long since I mixed a drink, much less resin....and I am too tired.

Just got back from 6 hours of driving. Vizten' Kin'
Gotta love Christmas.

I am going to do some cutting tomorrow. Tyvek.....check....duct tape....check.....will and ambition....we'll see.

Merry Christmas.......oh yeah...that was the other day.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Geez, its been too long since I mixed a drink, much less resin...

BAAAA HAAAA HAAAAA

I am going to do some cutting tomorrow. Tyvek.....check....duct tape....check.....will and ambition....we'll see.

dont forget the baby powder before the tyvec sweat suit !....:D

hey just think......nye is just a few days away.......youll be good at mixing drink.........er.....i mean resin by then :D

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

We all should remember to practice our mixing skills over the holidays,

Remember it's an investment not just drinking.

Happy New Year!