Ooops!

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Ooops!

Sorry roscoe,<br />I can't agree with you on this one. The slower traffic in right lane sign is for ALL traffic, not just those going below the speed limit. Truely dangerous situations occur when some drivers elect to become self appointed traffic cops. I try to use the left hand lane ONLY when I'm passing other vehicles. The only time I stay in the left hand lane for any length of time is when I'm constantly passing other vehicles, otherwise I move to the right lane. <br /><br />ob,<br />You're a resident of TX and don't know the traffic laws in that state? The law JB talks about has been in place since at least since 1976 which is when I lived in El Paso.

gaugeguy

Captain

Doesn't "flow of traffic" have something to do with this regardless of the speed limit? People do get stopped for going too slow in the left lane because they are "impeding the flow of traffic" around here.<br /><br />In any case, if you aren't passing someone, you should be in the right lane. It is just common courtesy.

oddjob

Commander

BTW Roscoe, the article I got my info and point of view was "Trucker Magazine" 1986'.<br /><br />It's a good read if you are a trucker... :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

joew94th, I try to stay in the center or righthand lane also, when I can do it safely. That means I need atleast 6 car lengths between me and the vehicle I'm pulling in front of. But usually the rocketship behind me will pull right and prevent my lane change. In this case, I don't feel bad about leaving him stuck in the right lane. :p <br /><br />But you are wrong on the slower traffic rule, as no one, under any circumstances is allowed to go over the posted speed limit. (even ambulances are not supposed to exceed the speed limit in WI), <br /><br />So when you are in the left lane and are "constantly passing other vehicles" you are holding up the guy that want to go 10mph faster. You are breaking your own rule. <br /><br />Flow of traffic rule/excuse does not exempt you from a speeding ticket or conviction, so it must still be illegal.

ob

Admiral

ob,<br />You're a resident of TX and don't know the traffic laws in that state? The law JB talks about has been in place since at least since 1976 which is when I lived in El Paso. <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />
I beg to differ Confucious.Unless a sign is posted that specifies that the left lane is for passing only,all traffic is within perfect right to drive the Texas interstates in left or right lane when driving at or near the speed limit.In other words,unless posted otherwise,the left lane on Texas interstates is not stricktly a passing lane.If you are driving in an area where the sign (left lane for passing only) is not posted,it is suggested that the slower than speed limit traffic keep to the right -hand lane.<br /><br />If you'd like the straight scoop on the laws that govern the state of Texas' interstates ,I suggest you call TDPS.If not ,I suspect you'll argue your false point further.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

OB, The "Left Lane for passing only" signs are posted, by law, on all multilane except urban commuter arteries, and even on some of them. They may not be posted 50' apart, but once is adequate to establish the LAW..<br /><br />Common courtesy, common sense and safety dictate that you do not deliberately interfere with the flow of traffic, at any speed. <br /><br />Self-appointed roadblocks KILL PEOPLE. If you start a fight that kills, it doesn't matter whether you were right or wrong, it's your fault.

Bondo

Staff member

Unforunately they Can't Legislate "Common Sense" ........<br /><br />If Everybody drove using it , There Wouldn't Be Any Road Rage............<br /><br />" Slower traffic keep right " <br />Just How Hard is This to Figure Out ?????

oddjob

Commander

God help em if Ryan's Grandfather gets on their tails.. :D

ob

Admiral

Then someone needs to notify the TDPS that I and they are wrong.Right or wrong ,There ain't no posted signs on interstate 37,between Corpus and San Antonio that says that the left lane is for passing only.As far as the common sense and common courtesy issue ,I totally agree on.On the other one ,the law is the law.Unless the DPS trooper I spoke with today is also mistaken.Geez.No big woop.

11 footer

Lieutenant

55mph with a trailer in MA?? :confused: <br /><br />I never heard that one before.<br /><br />The speed limit on the highways in MA is 55mph and 65mph in most spots, most the them are 65, that means the most people drive 70-75.<br /><br />I see trailers with ATV's and snowmobieals9(sp) heading to NH all the time going the speed limit or higher.<br /><br />There is not 55mph trailer law in MA

ob

Admiral

Check this out and you'll all know what the trailer limits are of your state.Might save some useless arguing.<br /> web page

11 footer

Lieutenant

And another thing,<br /><br />I don't buy that all you guys who are complaning aobut driveing in the passing lane and road right are as perfect as you come off to be, lets be realistic with eatherother.<br /><br />You are the same people who want to raise the driveing age in 18 in MA, the most retarded thing I've ever heard! :mad:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by ob:<br />Check this out and you'll all know what the trailer limits are of your state.Might save some useless arguing.<br /> web page
Hey they don't have the Majave desert listed.<br />It is "The farther the faster" :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by oddjob:<br />God help em if Ryan's Grandfather gets on their tails.. :D
Hey oddjob, don't be talking about his grandfather.<br />He is just teaching him how to drive when he gets to at age 18. :p

11 footer

Lieutenant

I'll be driveing at 16, it won't pass in time to affect me, but I still don't like the idea.

Bored To Tears

Seaman Apprentice

thought you were 16???<br /><br />now, about that only use the left lane to pass, the trouble is, the trucking industry was deregulated years ago, so gypsies pull for 70 cents a mile ... as a result, owner operators had to load their rigs down to make some money, which tears the bejeezus out of the right lane<br /><br />its not just faster<br /><br />its the Cadillac Lane<br /><br />smooth sailin<br /><br /> :p

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by Ryan T.:<br />I'll be driveing at 16, it won't pass in time to affect me, but I still don't like the idea.
Just joking here Ryan, but with you and your Grandfather both on the roads in Ma. that will give a new meaning to the term "Road Warriors" :D

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Ryan, I see people turning without signaling and not stopping for people in crosswalks too, but that don't make it legal. Some people even back their pickup around a corner and drive on the sidewalk. :) <br /><br />State by state towing laws.<br /><br />Also, from http://www.boatus.com/towing/towlaw.htm <br /><br />Boat Towing Laws in Massachusetts<br />Boating Law Administrator: 617-727-3190<br />Maximum Speed Limit: 55<br /><br />Boat Towing Laws in Pennsylvania<br />Boating Law Administrator: 717-657-4538<br />Maximum Speed Limit: 55<br /><br />What? No one wants to claim that they are allowed to drive over the speed limit?

Capt Joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Many years ago (pre air conditioned cars) my aunt flooded her engine one stinking hot evening, at the lights at a busy city intersection. Needless to say the bloke behind her started blasting his horn continuously. Eventually the car started, but instead of driving off when the lights changed she walked back to his car, grabbed his keys & tossed them under his car. Then she drove away.

11 footer

Lieutenant

I didn't know that. So you can tow a trailer in MA at 65, but once you've for a boat on their your down a 55?<br /><br />you just wait untill I get my licence, SBN. I already for my car, a Black 1998 Lilcon Town car with blacked out windows and light leather seats, I'll be pinp'en :D :D :D