Only 2 gallons of AF?

pec2402

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Only 2 gallons of AF?

Thank you!!

Looks like i wasted $$$ on AF because most of it came right back out the exhaust!

pec2402

Seaman Apprentice

en
If you already drained the block, you don't even need antifreeze to protect the block.
Obviously, you have now run 2 gallons of AF to protect your manifolds.

Don S - from the diagram provided with the therm closed, it doesn't seem like any AF was run through the manifolds?

My understanding is that pretty much all the AF exited out the exhaust elbow almost immediately upon entering the inlet...

John_S

Rear Admiral

After draining (including big hose), I fill mine via hose, and it takes a little over 2 gallons. 2 1/4, I believe. It is more precise and you don't waste any coming out the exhaust. I remove the thermostat inlet water hose from the power steering cooler, and use that to hold above the valve covers, and feed AF slowly and let it push the air out.

If you drained the block prior to, then the AF should of filled it during start up. You can test it at the block drain plugs to see. If you didn't drain it first, that would be an issue. If you didn't take the big hose off the circ water pump, you do have some water that has mixed with the AF. Is that an issue? Don't know. Depends on how much was left in there and how well it mixed with AF, and your AF rating.

Most RV AF is just for drain pipe plumbing and does not contain an anti-rust package. There is special AF that does, and if you are going through the trouble of using AF, should have that to provide some benefit.

egclassic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

en
If you already drained the block, you don't even need antifreeze to protect the block.

Why do you think the manufactures don't recommend running AF through muffs as a way to protect your engine. I can tell you why, it doesn't work.

Yeah, but they do recommend filling the system with AF, not leaving it empty.

anymanusa

Seaman

en

Why do you think the manufactures don't recommend running AF through muffs as a way to protect your engine. I can tell you why, it doesn't work.

it's called CYA. that's the reason manufacturers don't specifically recommend it. It's the same reason that my Jeep manual recommends changing out the transmission, differential, and transfer gear case oil ANY time you drive through deep water. It's not necessary, but it is necessary that you know any understand whats going on with your mechanics.

I'm completely confident that filling an engine with antifreeze will keep it from freezing.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

it's called CYA. that's the reason manufacturers don't specifically recommend it. It's the same reason that my Jeep manual recommends changing out the transmission, differential, and transfer gear case oil ANY time you drive through deep water. It's not necessary, but it is necessary that you know any understand whats going on with your mechanics.

I'm completely confident that filling an engine with antifreeze will keep it from freezing.

Are you even bothering to read the previous posts? Putting AF in your engine is not whats being argued here. Its the way you put the AF in your engine.

If you want to fill your engine with AF, have at it. But if you think that just because you ran a couple of gallons of AF through your engine using a pair of muffs, you are taking a big gamble with your engine freezing. You need to understand the mechanics of your cooling system...

egclassic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats not the argument here. Where does it say to use muffs to deliver the AF?
The pink RV AF everyone is using has no rust inhibitors...

Cool down there, I was simply stating that if someone is going to reference what the manufacturer does and does not recommend, then do not offer your own suggestions. I believe allot of people on here just drain their blocks and call it good, which is fine, to each his own. But if we are going to point out what the manufacturer does and does not recommend, then why leave out what you have posted above? They clearly "recommend" filling it with A/F after draining, yet everyone wants to argue that "you don't need to do it"
The antifreeze I use does contain inhibitors, and it is not pink.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I get real nervous when I hear about people saying they sucked x amount of antifreeze up the drive. I would say well yes Merc does say to fill it with AF but not using the muffs, they say to drain everything and then backfill through the hoses. That's the only totally safe way to use AF. And, AF is not NEEDED for freeze protection, it's only needed to reduce corrosion. I do use it but as I've said many times, I drain and backfill with AF that has corrosion inhibitors (-100). This stuff may be overkill (stays liquid down to about -54* as checked with my PG hydrometer) but the -60 stuff slushes up a little to easy for my comfort zone....

to all you suck the AF up the drive advocates, do a little test....open a drain into a paper cup and see what happens when you put it in the freezer....I just told a guy on the ifourwinns site to do this after I read he sucked it up the drive...he did what I said, put it in the freezer and it FROZE. He went out and drained the engine and backfilled. So he saved his engine, because I told him that way is WRONG because on a cool day, running on the water (45* maybe) hose, no load, the engine will not get hot enough to open the thermo all the way. It will warm up to 160* or the rated temp on the stat, but the stat most likely will NOT OPEN ALL THE WAY. And for the AF to get IN the raw water has to get OUT and it won't get OUT unless it opens ALL THE WAY. Yes you can drain the block first, but what's the point, I say just drain it all and then backfill. You can fog it without worrying about if the impeller is sucking it in (sometimes they don't) or running out of AF before you get it fogged....

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

do a little test....open a drain into a paper cup and see what happens when you put it in the freezer....I just told a guy on the ifourwinns site to do this after I read he sucked it up the drive...he did what I said, put it in the freezer and it FROZE.

That will get your point across real quick...

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

I have been winterizing boats for dealers for over 10 years. pink antifreze should be drained I have had issues with pink and cracked blocks. I drain and pull hoses in Illinois. I always probe holes to insue no blockage. in the event on certan boats I will flush with pink if I cannot get to a oil cooler or heater core. I have never had issues reguarding corrosion with fresh water engines. Many pros sleep much better at night knowing all drain plugs are removed