Only 2 gallons of AF?

pec2402

Seaman Apprentice
After draining the block, i hooked up the muffs and ran antifreeze through the outdrive. However, after only 2 gallons, the AF was already flowing out? I was under the impression i needed between 4 and 5 gallons?

I checked the engine and no leaks (initially, i thought i may not have tightened the brass plugs on the block...not the case). There were no leaks or AF in the bilge.

This is my first attempt at this step and i feel like i'm missing something...any help? Thanks in advance.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Only 2 gallons of AF?

Your engine by-passes most all "sea water" untill the thermostat opens then just part of it.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

what your missing is the fact that water must circ thru the exaust system no matter if the therm is open or closed.much better to flush and fog the motor first, remove plugs and drain motor /manifolds/risers/power steering cooler/ cool fuel. Then just pour the A/F in thru the hoses.

pec2402

Seaman Apprentice

Makes sense. So at this point, no AF has circulated through the engine, and hence, i'm still at risk if there is any water left over from before?

Bluestream

Petty Officer 1st Class

Makes sense. So at this point, no AF has circulated through the engine, and hence, i'm still at risk if there is any water left over from before?

How could there be water left from before if you drained the block and mainfolds?

pec2402

Seaman Apprentice

Just being overcautious (first boat). But i didn't remove any hoses, etc. when i drained the engine.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Only if you remove the plugs and nothing comes out due to a blockage and you ASSume it drained without poking something in the hole to be sure.

pec2402

Seaman Apprentice

Only if you remove the plugs and nothing comes out due to a blockage and you ASSume it drained without poking something in the hole to be sure.

I used a piece of wire hanger to ensure there was no blockage.

However, i was using the AF mostly as a corrosion inhibitor over the long storage, so i am still concerned that no AF circulated throughout the engine...this seems to be the case, but can anyone confirm that the thermostat doesn't allow any "water" into the engine from a cold start? Thanks again for the help...still learning a lot!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

with the therm closed, very very little water will enter the block and circulate.

Bondo

Staff member

so i am still concerned that no AF circulated throughout the engine...

Ayuh,... Pull the drains again, 'n See what comes out, 'n from where....

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Some water or AF will bypass the thermostat, but not much. I did mine this weekend after we loaded up. My wife pulled the boat on the trailer after a real hard run (to make sure the therm was open), I quickly threw the AF jug on the swim platform and put the muffs on it. She refired the engine and when it started blowing pink stuff out the thru hull exhaust, she flipped the silent choice on and it start coming out of the drive. At this point, it used nearly all 5 gallons. We shut it off and took it home. It will be fine for the winter, but the point is, you must do it this way pretty quickly to be sure the thermostat stays open.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

As soon as the AF hits the thermostat its gonna slam shut in less than a second.

Running your engine on muffs while gravity flowing AF into the outdrive is not a good idea. I see more AF pouring out around of the muffs than getting in the engine. All I'm seeing is premature impeller wear going on. No way the impeller is constantly submerged and pumping AF while being gravity fed with leaking muffs...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

After draining the block, i hooked up the muffs and ran antifreeze through the outdrive.
en
If you already drained the block, you don't even need antifreeze to protect the block.
Obviously, you have now run 2 gallons of AF to protect your manifolds.

Why do you think the manufactures don't recommend running AF through muffs as a way to protect your engine. I can tell you why, it doesn't work.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

As soon as the AF hits the thermostat its gonna slam shut in less than a second.

Running your engine on muffs while gravity flowing AF into the outdrive is not a good idea. I see more AF pouring out around of the muffs than getting in the engine. All I'm seeing is premature impeller wear going on. No way the impeller is constantly submerged and pumping AF while being gravity fed with leaking muffs...

lol... that anti-freeze was a lot warmer than the 50 degree river water. I had it poured into the container and sitting inside my truck with the windows up on a 65 degree day. ;)

When you start the engine with muffs on it, the suction seals it so well that very very little leaks around them. You have to be careful with the hose cause it will suck it shut even. My alpha drive on my old boat wasn't this way, but my big block and bravo drive is. It pumps some serious amount of water!

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Why do you think the manufactures don't recommend running AF through muffs as a way to protect your engine. I can tell you why, it doesn't work.

I'm not challenging your knowledge, but a lot (and I mean a lot) of the guys on the performance boat sites run AF through the muffs... Maybe they are as lazy as I am, but I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that I won't freeze and bust anything this winter. :)

pec2402

Seaman Apprentice

en
If you already drained the block, you don't even need antifreeze to protect the block.
Obviously, you have now run 2 gallons of AF to protect your manifolds.

This is my lack of knowledge, but i'm just having a hard time picturing the flow of the AF through the outdrive and i really want to understand. After the AF entered the outdrive through the muff (note - there was no leakage around the muffs) it cycled through the engine but did not pass through the block due to the low engine temp, and then it recycled out near the transom on the belly of the outdrive (sorry, not sure of the proper term). Is this correct? I feel like i'm getting mixed answers and would like to visually grasp the flow.

As for next year, i have definitely learned a lot doing this myself and will pass on the antifreeze. I was under the impression the AF was necessary (not because of freezing, but to prevent corrosion internally).

Thanks everyone for the responses. Great info.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

So the AF you were dumping in was over 160 deg F to hold that thermostat open?

Thats one he!! of a heater you got there in your truck.

Ill bet you you have more of a chance of your engine cracking with pink stuff in there than others do that have nothing but air in their block.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

This is my lack of knowledge, but i'm just having a hard time picturing the flow of the AF through the outdrive and i really want to understand. After the AF entered the outdrive through the muff (note - there was no leakage around the muffs) it cycled through the engine but did not pass through the block due to the low engine temp, and then it recycled out near the transom on the belly of the outdrive (sorry, not sure of the proper term). Is this correct? I feel like i'm getting mixed answers and would like to visually grasp the flow.

As for next year, i have definitely learned a lot doing this myself and will pass on the antifreeze. I was under the impression the AF was necessary (not because of freezing, but to prevent corrosion internally).

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w241/Air_Alpheus/MercruiserV-10.jpg

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Ill bet you you have more of a chance of your engine cracking with pink stuff in there than others do that have nothing but air in their block.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. You know, just because someone does something differently than someone else, doesn't exactly make it wrong. You have your way, I've got mine. ;)

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

There are many ways of winterizing the block. Some run AF thru muffs, some just drain the block, some drain the block and then fill with AF, some use a little heater and a whole lot of luck... It depends on where you are, how long it sits, etc...

I like the easy way with running AF thru the muffs. The RV AF is super slippery and I believe its better for the water pump, circulating pump, seals, etc.. to have some lubrication along with corrosion protection. I like to run it thru just like the water flows... it might not be exactly what Mercruiser recommends, but it works for me. Your results may vary. :)