OMC XP, GT outboards

SML Boomer

Cadet
How do these motors differ from other models? I read on a search that the ports were larger and easier breathing. Is there anything else? Also, does an engine rebuild undo the XP/GT package? The mechanic said he used thicker head gaskets to lower the compression for poorer quality gas.

Benny1963

Lieutenant
Re: OMC XP, GT outboards

i believe they had a little better heads and maybe some jetting
but not really shure you can do a search on the xp and gt
and look at some old threads i have a 175 crossflow and it is my understandingthat the xp and gts are the performers of the crossflows
someone will come along this will keep your post alive

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

These 150 engines used the same blocks, but had added performance items. The XP/GT used different heads, 175 (1 5/16") carbs. They had stiff lower engine mounts, special decals and vented hoods. Most had the special 35 amp alternator. They put out 10% more hp than the cowling said. (around 165). The 2.6GT/XP had other special items in addition to the above. Any rebuilder should reuse all your same parts. Some of these GT/XP's ran up to 30 degrees timing from the factory. I'd probably run standard head gaskets on premium gas and reduce the timing somewhat.

SML Boomer

Cadet

Thanks much. Is it likely that the thicker head gaskets is responsible for a 200-300 rpm loss that I am experiencing? Motor sounds smooth but does not seem to have the zip it has before replacing the gaskets and the voltage regulator.