OMC Stringer Bronze Tilt Gear

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer
Preparing a number of parts for painting. The tilt gear is completely corroded. Is there a solvent I can stick the gear in to clean it up or am I faced with replacing it or trying to clean it by hand?

Tilt-Gear.jpg

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC Stringer Bronze Tilt Gear

:| Should have read the Forum a little better. Looks like Muratic Acid may be the trick :|

If someone knows differntly please Speak Up!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Glass bead blast, then prime and paint. I would definitely try to remove it first. Remember, apply heat and rock bolts back and forth. Once you get a little movement, apply some PB blaster and rock some more. Then go back to heat and repeat as many times as necessary.

I would then chase the threads with a tap and reapply the bolts with a generous coating of marine grease.

Yer not giving that ol OMC any rest, are ya Lindy?;)

Bondo

Staff member

Preparing a number of parts for painting.

LOL........ What Color,.??........d:)

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

Boomyal said:
Glass bead blast, then prime and paint. I would definitely try to remove it first. Remember, apply heat and rock bolts back and forth. Once you get a little movement, apply some PB blaster and rock some more. Then go back to heat and repeat as many times as necessary.

I would then chase the threads with a tap and reapply the bolts with a generous coating of marine grease.

Thanks for the Tips. No rest for the weary. Chose not to Sand Blast anything, so I will be giving Muratic Acid a shot on the Tilt Gear.

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

why clean it, they are always on e-bay, usually for less than ten bucks

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

aerwin said:
why clean it, they are always on e-bay, usually for less than ten bucks

Because I would rather spend the $10+Shipping on something else.

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats cool, i'm with you on that, I would rather do everything too, much more pride in project.

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

Boomyal said:
I would definitely try to remove it first. Remember, apply heat and rock bolts back and forth. Once you get a little movement, apply some PB blaster and rock some more. Then go back to heat and repeat as many times as necessary.

Tilt Gear came off without a hitch. Thank the OMC Boat Gods for small favors. 8)

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

man your gettin it done, congrats, isn't this stuff fun when it goes good.

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

Boomyal said:

:^ I think she leaks into the Lower Gearcase everytime she sees me coming. :^

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Lyndy said:
Boomyal said:
I would definitely try to remove it first. Remember, apply heat and rock bolts back and forth. Once you get a little movement, apply some PB blaster and rock some more. Then go back to heat and repeat as many times as necessary.

Tilt Gear came off without a hitch. Thank the OMC Boat Gods for small favors. 8)

Good on that Lindy. Those bolts can be tough ones. They are big, right out in corrosions way and not easy to get a wrench on. Be sure to chase those holes and flush out. Use plenty of greeeeeeeeze when you put them back in.

I'd use some paint remover and a wire brush then just finish it off with the acid.

It's a shame though, bead blasting has become my best friend. I'm gonna buy a big cabinet at HF, next time they go on sale.

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

Use plenty of greeeeeeeeze when you put them back in.
I'd use some paint remover and a wire brush then just finish it off with the acid.

Was thinking of using Paint Remover. Just was not up to experimenting on what if's. I will now give it a shot. Not like I don't have any lying around with that Want to be Black Boat Anchor I am refinishing. It looks like grease was used quite a bit on the exposed bolts. Just not 100% sure where the line in the sand is on when to use the grease.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Lyndy said:
Use plenty of greeeeeeeeze when you put them back in.

Was thinking of using Paint Remover. Just was not up to experimenting on what if's. I will now give it a shot. Not like I don't have any lying around with that Want to be Black Boat Anchor I am refinishing. It looks like grease was used quite a bit on the exposed bolts. Just not 100% sure where the line in the sand is on when to use the grease.

Just pack those holes full of it and let the bolt squeeze it out. One of the worst areas of corrosion build up for those bolts is in the thru holes in the upper case itself.

You really don't want to pack them solid cause they will hydraulic when you tighten them down but you want enough grease that it will squeeze out between the bolt shaft and the upper case thru holes.

I would snug up a couple of bolts then pack in some grease to the other holes. Tighten them down, pull the original two bolts and do the same. Wipe up the excess.

I would, however get everything painted before you reinstall it.

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

Boomyal said:
Lindy, here's one you might be able to get for 8$ shipped. Looks real clean.

Already got my eye on it. For that much, I will just replace it. Thanks Boomyal!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Lindy, I misread the shipping on this quadrant. The 7$ was in addition to any international shipping charges. Shipping to the lower 48 is 12$.

DHPMARINE

Captain

You could always look for a new quadrant #313223 .......
$368.14 !!!!

grin

DHP