OMC Stringer 800 serial #'s decoding

Scottdock

Cadet
I have recently purchased a used boat for near nothing. I need to know what the OMC Stringer serial numbers translate to.
The model number is 982435 and the serial number is W207020.
Any clues?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: OMC Stringer 800 serial #'s decoding

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard...

This would be Much Easier if you just tell Us what you See...

Seeing as there is No OMC Factory anymore,..
It's alittle tough to translate Factory #s for many of Us,..
But,...
A Clear description,+ maybe a few Pictures,...
Many of Us can tell you What you've got,+ how Screwed you are....;)

Scottdock

Cadet

The boat is a 1986 IMP 22' Walkaround Fish with a Stringer 800. I bought the boat with a bad 305 engine . I replaced the engine with a newer 350. The boat runs excellent. The problem I have is finding the correct drive gear ratio so I can reseal it over the winter. I also need to play around with props as the original one does not bring the rpm into the proper range. The outdrive was replaced 2 years ago so I would like to know what I have.

Thanks for the help!

chiefalen

Captain

If your calling it a 800 why?

It marked on the top of the drive 800?

If yes must have a big rubber transom boot around the drive.

Or does it have hydrolic rams that lift the drive ?

Does it have a half moon gear lifting the drive ?

Scottdock

Cadet

I do Know that it is a Stringer 800. It is not the Cobra! I am just looking for someone to tell me the upper gear ratio. I guess I can just take them out and count the teeth. I think the drive was replaced with a 6 cylinder ratio instead of the proper 21T/16T gears the drive needs.
Decals are long gone!

Bondo

Staff member

I think the drive was replaced with a 6 cylinder ratio

Ayuh,...

Is the Problem, that you can't find a prop Big enough,..??

Scottdock

Cadet

I would just like to know the gear ratio and model year I am working with so I am armed with the proper information. I plan on resealing and completly servicing the drive this winter so I can give the boat to my 15 year old nephew in the spring. I guess all the OMC info is obselete and no one really has the answer. I will just take it apart and count the teeth.

chiefalen

Captain

A 1985 5.0 should have a upper 21:17 lower 14:26

A 1985 5.7 should have upper 21:16 lower 14:26

And not for nothing even if you bought a seloc like i have 1986 back you would have the info.

You will need to buy a manual anyway.

Don't bother to thank me i don't like your tone.

If you run into a problem post i will still help you but check the attitude at the keyboard.

fendersfender

Petty Officer 1st Class

if its an 800 series...it doesnt matter what gear ratio it has if your just going to reseal it!!!!! the upper gearcase is the same on all of them, with the exception of a high profile case, which was,nt offered that year...IN FACT...an '86 model should be a cobra drive..........

Scottdock

Cadet

Chiefalen,
Thanks for the proper info I was looking for. I thought that my original post stated clearly with the proper information what I was looking for. I do not have an attitude but only looking for answers so I can make my nephew safe.
I do have the Seloc manual and in the appendix it only lists drive numbers starting at 990000 and up.

chiefalen

Captain

Fender no i've seen a stringer on '87 boats i swear.

My stringer is on a '86 boat.

If it's a stringer than you got to go with the '85 data in the book.

And my stringer and motor was marked '86.

I know it's f----d up.

chiefalen

Captain

Ok then here we go:

You need a upper seal kit.

A lower seal kit.

Check the intermediate drive oil maybe you get away not having to seal that.

A tilt clutch housing kit.

And a water pump kit with the housing.

E-basic power has the best prices and everything in stock. i bought from them before.

Or e-bay you need from 1979 up for the seal kits. Don't matter 400-800 drive.

You need a good manual factory original best, and seloc what i have, second best, any west marine or this site or boaters world will have one.

The seloc will have on upper left corner in blue omc, Stern Drives

1964-86.

Upper right corner 3400 if you get that one, we will be able to communicate, and i can advise you on what page were talking about,when and if, a problem arises and you post your problem.

Here is a old post about the tilt.

You must service it cause i bet it has water in it.

Check the water pump shafts when you have it apart. And it's you don't have to take the shift cable out it's a b-yatch to get out and in.

Check the ball gears.

One last thing i have had every piece of the stringer drive in my hands i know it better than my wifes you know what.

When you replaced the motor did you check the coupler real good?

And the splines of the drive shaft with the ball gear on it?

The bearings?

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=259807

Scottdock

Cadet

I do have the Seloc manual on hand and purchased an OMC manual from Doug Russell. Funny you should mention the coupler. When changing the engine to a newer block I had a huge problem with the original flywheel mating to the new engine. I needed to get a new automotive flex plate and have the old coupler, which looks like a clutch disc drilled and balanced to fit the drive.
Being that I was going to reseal and service the drive I thought about changing the upper gears to the correct ratio. As you mentioned in an earlier post the ratio should be 21:16 for the 5.7. What effect would the 21:17 ratio have or can it be corrected with a different prop?

chiefalen

Captain

Should have no effect.

And the pitch of the prop latter if there is a slight one will be able to correct it.

I'm more worried about the coupler, see there is on 1/8th inch between the coupler and the bell housing i found that out the hard way.

This piece you made up it move the coupler the 1/8th inch closer to the bell housing.

It's critical that f----g 1/8th inch.

Won't let the flywheel turn.

You do have the all metal coupler no rubber correct?

chiefalen

Captain

You put a 5.7 in correct. So if it has the correct gears, i trust you will post the gear set we can go from there.

Don't sweat that yet. You still got the motor out?

If yes did you go over the mounts good.

They didn't drop?

You got the drive off?

I'll try to help you every step of they way if you give me the info.

Scottdock

Cadet

Yes I have the complete metal coupler that looks like a round automotive clutch disc. When I had the new flywheel/coupler assembly fabricated they used the old set up depth from the intermediate housing mating surface on the block to the depth of the coupler opening. It measures the exact same old and new.
I just thought by replacing the upper gears when I have the drive disassembled to the correct ratio would be the best. The boat was running only 4200 rpm wot. It should be in the 4800 rpm correct?

Scottdock

Cadet

Actually the boat is all back together now. I plan on removing the drive in the next week or so. I would have liked to order all the parts and have them on hand before taking all aprt. I think I will take apart and send the housing out to have them powder coated and then order all thing needed. I need to take a few cars out of the garage first so I can pull the boat in the garge and work in heat.

Scottdock

Cadet

I have the boat running. I have been using it since August. The engine runs perfect. I had the drive off already and put in a new water pump with housing. I change the oi lin the drive in August also. Just last week when winterizing I noticed a small amount of water in the drive along with a small amount of oil on the drive. Thats when I decided to rebuild and reseal the drive. I also noticed that the ball gears looked slightly worn. I figured it would make a good winter project. I did call GLM directly and explained my ordeal and they brought up the gear ratio. I gave them the model number and they did not have the information to tell me what upper ratio I had. They gave me this forum to ask for info, so here I am.
I will get it all aprt this coming weekend. Will it make a big difference if I have the wrong upper gear ratio?