71 Evinrude 9.5 Won't stay running!!!

POPS81

Cadet
This is a new thing for me. I'v never had a boat or motor. How do I adjust the lean & rich & how do I set the idle? The other is the throtle reads start shift slow on the right side on left it says fast. How does it work? My other problem is it starts in drive. Is that right? It also wont stay running. It runs for a couple mins. then stops. What is that? It had a lot of lacure in it if that makes sence. Do I have big problems???

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 71 Evinrude 9.5 Won't stay running!!!

Do you know someone who has some experience with outboard motors? It sounds like you could use some basic instruction on outboards, and that's hard to do in words here on the forum.

I'm sure someone will try, but it's difficult. Someone standing there could show you exactly what you need to do to run your nice outboard.

patrickray

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is a new thing for me. I'v never had a boat or motor. How do I adjust the lean & rich & how do I set the idle? The other is the throtle reads start shift slow on the right side on left it says fast. How does it work? My other problem is it starts in drive. Is that right? It also wont stay running. It runs for a couple mins. then stops. What is that? It had a lot of lacure in it if that makes sence. Do I have big problems???

I have a 72 9.5 rude and john. First, if it had lacure in it you really need to rebuild the carb, you can find the rebuild kit here on iboats or on ebay. And clean the gas tank.
Second. Never start in forward or revrese. Place the shift lever in the middle. Turn the tiller handle to start, pull the choke, pump the primer bulb until hard, pull rope. It should start in a couple pulls. When it starts, let it warm up a few seconds and push the choke back in.
To set the low speed idle, look at the end of the tiller handle where it connects to the motor. You'll see a little adjustment knob there. Use that to set your low speed idle.
As for the adjusting the lean & rich. You need to get the carb rebuilt and clean gas mixed 50:1 and get her out on the water.
Another thing you need to is replace the impeller. And most likley get the whole water pump kit. I know on both of mine the housings were shot. For about $40-$50, you have a good little motor. Look through the FQA's here on iboats. It will help you alot.

http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=31

I hope this helps...

Patrick

Last edited:

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

If you get really good on repairing and taking that motor apart then you could take the drive shaft out of my 1970 model 9.5hp Johnson :p. The drive shaft is stuck in the power head it was like that when I bought it. The old motor runs but I am begining to wonder if I made a mistake buying it because they seem to be high maintanence motors or at least more difficult to work on then other motors.

POPS81

Cadet

Thank You very much your info really helps. It's hard finding someone to help they all say they know or will help & no show no know.

jbjennings

Captain

Aw Heck!
Just keep posting any questions you have. There's always someone here who knows the answer and will give it. These guys have taught me more than I could learn in several months if I had to pay for it at a technical school. I've had folks here send me parts books, parts, invaluable information, etc. Unrequested, even. This is a super website for learning about outboards. I'd have tried to answer your questions, myself, but don't have any hands-on knowledge pertaining to those 9.5 hp's. I do know from looking at a couple and reading about them that they are harder than usual to work on and have a couple of parts that are hard to find. One of the wisest guys on here says that they are good motors, though.
GOod luck with yours, and keep asking questions.
JBJ

iwombat

Captain

Really the biggest problem with them is BRP wants to deny their existence and has obsoleted some pretty necessary parts. Everything you've mentioned is pretty easily fixed.

Get yourself a shop manual - anything from late '60s to '73 will work for you since they really didn't change much - the later the manual the better.

Then you need to look at:

1) Rebuilding the carb - sounds like you may need it if there was a ton of varnish in the carb.

2) Do a spark check - coils of that era more often than not are in pretty bad shape. Best to see if yours are in need of replacement right off the bat.

3) Replace the impeller or the whole water pump.

Unable to stay running could be a fuel pump, but before that you should address the other things. If you don't know how to do any of 1-3, keep asking questions.

POPS81

Cadet

iwombat
What is the impeller? Also the thing where the cord coiles around so you can pull to start (no clue the name) well water is spillin out all over it & down the cord. Ever hear of that? Still cann't keep it runnin longer then 1.5 mins
POPS81

iwombat

Captain

The impeller is an internal part of the water pump. As for your recoil starter, there's a seal (little rubber disk) that closes up the water jacket right under the starter mount. Someone must've taken off the starter and misplaced it.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

iwombat
What is the impeller? Also the thing where the cord coiles around so you can pull to start (no clue the name) well water is spillin out all over it & down the cord. Ever hear of that? Still cann't keep it runnin longer then 1.5 mins
POPS81

The impeller is the rubber piece inside the water pump it is the heart of the water pump that pumps the water.

Recoil starter is the name for that.

This is what the impeller looks like.

Attachments

• thumb_18-3000_JPG.jpg
    thumb_18-3000_JPG.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 0

POPS81

Cadet

Thank You both for your help. I may need it again. By the way do either of you know if Service manuals are accessable online for these motors?

POPS81

Cadet

So is my water pump shot ya think? Water comes out the hole where it should but it leeks near the recoil? And it just started doin that today.

iwombat

Captain

Water pump is clearly pumping water. But, it's a good idea to just replace it if you don't know how old it is.

POPS81

Cadet

How much ya think that should cost me to redo the water pump? And can I get the parts easily?

iwombat

Captain

Impeller is around $20 - a whole kit around $30 last I bought one. Easy enough to find or order online (I think iboats sells the kits).

If you remove the recoil starter you'll probably find the rubber disk, or some hack job someone did up with sealant.

POPS81

Cadet

I removed the recoil starter but found no rubber disk or sealant of any kind. Now what?

iwombat

Captain

In the back corner of where the bracket mounts you should find an open hole to the water jacket. I'll see if I can find a diagram.

Edit: Part #9 in the diagram. (Pretty good memory, eh? :) )

Attachments

• recoil.jpg
    recoil.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 1

iwombat

Captain

#9 seals up a hole that shoots straight down through the water-jacket in the exhaust cover. There should be a small recess in the exhaust cover under where the recoil bracket mounts for the disk, then a hole inside that recess.